Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: POV buttons  (Read 15740 times)

HoralkaEU

POV buttons
« on: July 06, 2014, 05:57:56 am »

Hey cameni, could you look into POV switches on controllers? Engine now recognizes them, but all as one button, and they don't do anything. It would be really great if it worked similarly as it is in FSX, where as default POV move head/camera (pan left/right/up/down)

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: POV buttons
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 05:59:47 am »

Hey cameni, could you look into POV switches on controllers? Engine now recognizes them, but all as one button, and they don't do anything. It would be really great if it worked similarly as it is in FSX, where as default POV move head/camera (pan left/right/up/down)

Yes, please!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:46:53 am »

Yes, please!

Been trying to figure out forever if it could be done.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Krutan

• King Crab
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 02:25:38 am »

This would be a highly appreciated feature. Anteworld is already like a flight sim to me (all that's missing are clouds), but not being able to look around with POV switches just ruins it. So I really hope to see this in the future.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 09:19:04 am »

What do you mean that they are recognized as one button? We've got a couple of joysticks here, but the POV is detected as left/right/up/down. They currently aren't used in cockpits, but they work in ufo when bound to the look* actions.

I guess it should not be a problem to make the movement's look actions work in cockpits/cabs as well.

HiFlyer

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 09:27:32 am »

What do you mean that they are recognized as one button? We've got a couple of joysticks here, but the POV is detected as left/right/up/down. They currently aren't used in cockpits, but they work in ufo when bound to the look* actions.

I guess it should not be a problem to make the movement's look actions work in cockpits/cabs as well.

In Microsoft flight for instance. the left Joy-pad controller behaves almost the same as a mouse, allowing you to look around easily in every direction without having to take your hands off of the pad.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:36:06 am »

I was wondering about what he wrote - that the engine recognizes the POV switches as one button. When you try to bind the hat buttons in the movement tab to look left/right/up/down actions, what do you get? We're getting individual hat buttons bound there.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 09:50:27 am »

Two additional questions:
  • should the POV hat pan the camera view, or just to switch to fixed angles, or both/configurable?
    I guess in cockpitless ufo and free flight mode it will be fixed angles only, otherwise it's too confusing unless at least the HUD stays projected to the flight direction
  • how it should relate to the HUD?

Krutan

• King Crab
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 10:23:11 am »

Panning would probably be best for aircrafts, as it gives you a little more freedom. A center button would be great too so you can go back to looking straight forward with just a press of a button.

2eyed

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 11:07:36 am »

Also nice would be: right mouse button for movement in Ufo mode. In older versions it was possible to map but it doesn't work anymore since quite a while.

A more dynamic panning around the aircraft( kind of floating/ panning not immediately stopping) like FSX or Ufo movement

HiFlyer

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 12:03:01 pm »

I was wondering about what he wrote - that the engine recognizes the POV switches as one button. When you try to bind the hat buttons in the movement tab to look left/right/up/down actions, what do you get? We're getting individual hat buttons bound there.

Sorry I mis-typed. In Flight, the left controller control serves as the joystick, and the right controller controls view, much the same as the current mouse controller does in Outerra.

Saves having to reach for the mouse to look around.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 02:18:58 am »

I'm redoing the ufo/flight mode, changes thus far:
  • the Home key toggles between ufo/flight mode, shift+home switches to the manual roll mode (used to capture angled views)
  • ufo mode, so called because you can stand in air and rapidly move sideways
  • flight mode now moves forward automatically, and flight-like turning and pitching can be controlled either by WASD, mouse, joystick, Rift headset and Myo armband (frees the link between the look direction and flight direction)
  • in both modes you can bind the look actions to control the view separately from the flight direction
  • the view control can either pan or smooth switch to fixed camera angles, with HUD staying in the flight direction or staying in the center of the screen
  • the same view controls work also in aircraft and vehicles, TODO a checkbox for desired pan/hud mode in vehicles
  • fixed POV switch handling
  • configurable HUD units for altitude, speed and distance

There will be a handful of parameters in cfg for controlling the speeds and filter coefficients of these, probably won't have their own UI settings to avoid clutter (except for the HUD units), but they should be adjustable at run time via the console.

HoralkaEU

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »

Sorry it took me this long to reply. And sorry if I wasn't clear at first. Asi som to mal napísať po Slovensky :D

Basically, I'm using Logitech Rumblepad 2 (gamepad). In Outerra, when I go to the control settings, it is properly recognized. And then when I go to the movement tab, and for example I want to bind POV switches to "look left/right", I only get this

http://i.imgur.com/FsCWMo7.jpg

Pot0_315 for every direction :/

And this is the "D-Pad" as seen in Logitech profiler

http://i.imgur.com/3syIDCU.png

Most games recognize it as 4 different buttons (for example Euro Truck Simulator 2), and for example in FSX, it is automatically assigned to pan the camera.

And that's exactly what I would like to do with aircrafts in outerra. To bind is as Look up/down/left/right.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 03:53:09 pm »

Hmm, that's odd. Can you set enable_hid_logging=true in eng.cfg and run outerra, going into the config and trying to bind the individual buttons? Then send us the eng.log - it should contain info about what's wrong with the reported buttons from the joystick.

Keď to z toho logu nezistíme, asi si ten joystick skočíme požičať :D

HoralkaEU

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 05:59:39 am »

Pages: [1] 2