Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Flight path on the HUD?  (Read 7864 times)

twizzstyle

Flight path on the HUD?
« on: June 23, 2014, 09:47:22 pm »

I'm a diehard flight simmer - I use X-Plane a lot, but lately have been using Outerra most of the time just because the visuals are so much better (and it does a true cylindrical projection, which X-Plane can't - I have a large 180 deg cylindrical screen).

I often use the HUD in Outerra (brought up with tab) to give me an indication of speed, attitude, and altitude.  I wonder how difficult it would be to add a flight path vector to this HUD?  Some examples from a quick Google search:

I thought I saw mention on the forums somewhere something about flight path, so maybe Outerra is already doing the math behind the scenes for this, it just needs to be displayed.

This would be pretty sweet when flying the Mig at very high angles of attack.

twizzstyle

Re: Flight path on the HUD?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:29:55 pm »

Attached is what I'm envisioning in Outerra.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:58:58 am »

"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 04:12:10 pm »

I think the flight path mentioned elsewhere was about the flight path editor used to create camera paths.
But if I understand it correctly, this is just projecting the current speed vector?

twizzstyle

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:47:56 pm »

But if I understand it correctly, this is just projecting the current speed vector?

Precisely!  Not to be confused with the attitude, which is just where the nose of the airplane (or I suppose the camera) is pointing.

twizzstyle

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:41:02 am »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 01:11:56 am »

Does it really say feets? I haven't checked in a while. XD
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 01:57:18 am »

feets

Ha!  That's the Outerra HUD, not me :)

Why would someone use ... ah ... imperials ! Always whyte their horses, and thumbs ...   ;D  ;D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 01:01:41 pm »

My point was "feets" is not the plural of "feet" ... or "foot" for that matter.

And actually, I think I do remember it saying that.

twizzstyle

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 10:25:09 pm »

It does say feets, I never even noticed it until you pointed it out.  My shot above is a direct screen shot from Outerra.  Funny.

twizzstyle

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 10:23:40 pm »

I guess if I'm already making a suggestion - why not take it a small step further and suggest a full on aircraft HUD?

Nothing complicated, just something simple like in the second picture I posted above.  Airspeed tape on the left, altitude tape on the right, attitude indicator in the middle, with artificial horizon and pitch bars to +/- 90 deg, and the flight path vector.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 01:40:39 am »

Actually, there's going to be an API for rendering custom 2D vector graphics, meant for HUDs and cockpit instruments etc. That should give designers full power to create anything that may be required here, I believe.