Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Outerra: The Game (Backstory)  (Read 36810 times)

Peca

• Outerra fan
Re: Outerra: The Game (Backstory)
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 05:39:18 pm »

Sci-fi for me has to be advanced, but believable. The wondrous thing about Iain M. Banks' books about the culture, is that everyone has very human, or at least very believable, instincts, even if they have four arms...
Technically, there is no need for characters in sci-fi to be humanoid, or have human-like thinking or behaviour. Good example is "Ender-world". Human-like aliens make the story much easier to tell and understand, but also it put limits on creativity.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 03:53:44 pm »

Sci-fi for me has to be advanced, but believable. The wondrous thing about Iain M. Banks' books about the culture, is that everyone has very human, or at least very believable, instincts, even if they have four arms...
Technically, there is no need for characters in sci-fi to be humanoid, or have human-like thinking or behaviour. Good example is "Ender-world". Human-like aliens make the story much easier to tell and understand, but also it put limits on creativity.

.. heh, just thought, too much un-human thinking in a world of people that can not imagine a complex reaction of a simple change in this world may make it more a huge WTDeliciousTacoBoxOnPluto experience, getting dizzy all the time just thinking about it.  ;D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 06:40:31 am »

Cameni's given me permission to give a basic synopsis of the backstory for the game.

Cameni approached me about helping to create the story that revolves around the game, and had an idea to publish a few novellas that would coincide with the game.  I'm currently working on the first novella, although until more details can be ironed out for the game, it's only in a modest infancy.  The backstory will setup the game and the player's ultimate goals.  Additionally, more novellas may be developed to further the game's story-line, which may or may not be partly driven by players' actions.

The following synopsis is subject to change, and may give an indication of what technologies, etc, might be available, as well as the time-table.  And it gives a hint at the Thintawatokiya.

The Outerra Initiative:

By the middle of the 21st century, the nations of the planet Earth came together in an era of mutual cooperation and benefit.  Technology advanced exponentially.  In a few short years, quantum computing, cryogenic hibernation, and alternative forms of energy became common-place, ushering in a golden age of mankind.

Towards the end of the 21st century, a series of natural disasters forced humanity to consider long-term survival.  With the recent discoveries of pristine Earth-like worlds within short distances of the Earth, the International Space Agency began planning the most ambitious effort humanity has ever undertaken: The creation of an interstellar space vessel capable of ferrying millions of potential colonists to these new worlds. 

Known officially as the Outerra Initiative, the ISA commissioned the first interstellar vessel, known as the ISA Outerra.  Over five kilometers in length and half that in diameter, it would be humanity's most technologically advanced creation in history.  Its mission: To travel to ten different star systems within a 40 light year distance of the Earth, and establish colonies on each of the various worlds, to ensure humanity's survival.

Under the command of Captain Amanda Pierce, the ISA Outerra began it's 500 year odysey on December 31st, 2099.

Although the initial few colonies seemed to thrive, a series of disasters began to take their toll on the Initiative.  All communications with the Earth were lost, and one-by-one, the colonies so-recently established became silent.  Almost hopelessly off-course, the Outerra begins to make its long trek back home.

Many dozens of centuries later, a crippled and weary Outerra returns to Earth, finding no signs of civilization.  Humanity -- at least on Earth -- had become extinct.

The Outerra's new mission: Recolonize the planet Earth, and discover the mystery of humanity's demise.

Something still lurks on the planet Earth, seeking humanity's extinction.  What is it, and can it be stopped before the last of Humanity is wiped out once and for all?

Great stuff, hope it gets into the game!
And I would love to read all the additional novels about Outerra. :)

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 06:42:51 am »

I didn't mean the technology will be withheld from the colonizers, but that they will have to pay for it by the mined resources and produced goods.

Mothership becoming independent is IMO inevitable, if it was a real thing. There will be many nations going to recolonize the planet, most of them heading for their home places. There will be statistics and maps showing newly growing states and alliances. The mothership's something like an independent body providing various services; it will be us. It will grow more independent with each year of recolonization, following it's own devices gradually. It's only logical this would happen.

If it's ripe with disdain and revolt - well then, that will be the episode II ;)

Agreed

Razordraac

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:08 pm »

I like it. Keeps the tech more conventional. Has there been any major occurrences between NOW and THEN? World war or the like? That's your job to set the scene for us leaving earth as natural disasters is all a bit vague. I wouldn't think that would be enough for a planetary Exodus of this scale.

I still think we should have some sort of basic laser or magnetic based weaponry though. I mean we are developing laser-based weapons today, surely it'll advance more in 90 odd years time?

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 05:30:54 am »

Hi there ... hope im not booming in too badly. Just crossed this little talk about today view at space-travel. Might be an good feed for the tech-artwork for the story-line.

Also that "stuff the bubble hits will travel along some distance" effect would be a interesting thing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:42:46 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

jacquesbrits1

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 07:33:56 am »

Love the way you guys think !!!!

have any of you seen the movie "the day the earth stood still" where the "alien" clatoe sends out the nanobots to destroy humanity so earth can be cleaned again.

Pages: 1 2 [3]