Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: [Release] Working space plane flight model  (Read 9877 times)

zzz

[Release] Working space plane flight model
« on: June 28, 2014, 09:22:20 am »

This'll appear in your Vehicles menu but I've managed to construct a flight model that works in both atmosphere and space.

https://www.mediafire.com/?dh5n5ld8l9u6vby

It's a bit janky and if anyone can improve upon it, let me know.

I've remapped my Vehicle keys so that Aux buttons 1-4 are WASD and steer the model. Horn and Lights control the roll so I put them as Q + E. Shift Up and Down control vertical forces and are best as R + F. Aux axis 1 up and Aux axis 2 up add or remove a big chunk of speed and are Z + X on my config.

zzz

Re: [Release] Working space plane flight model
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 01:28:38 pm »

http://textuploader.com/kcjv

Released a much more streamlined JS file. All the variables you'd want to customise are at the top under constants except for mass which is in its usual place. No inertia, key presses work like in a normal video game.

Only thing left to do is to make the accelerate key target a latched percentage of thrust instead of having to hold down the button.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:30:52 pm by zzz »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 02:51:12 pm »

I have to say, that setup kinda crashes normal ground-vehicle setup - would be interesting if controlls settings could be costumizable for specific vehicle too ... but i like the dynamics of the vehicle a lot. Its a nice piece of work there.  ;)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HiFlyer

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 03:47:47 pm »

I have to say, that setup kinda crashes normal ground-vehicle setup - would be interesting if controlls settings could be costumizable for specific vehicle too ... but i like the dynamics of the vehicle a lot. Its a nice piece of work there.  ;)

Perhaps a new set of control settings specifically for space vehicles?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

bomber

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 04:57:34 pm »

Ok I've got the JSBsim star ships working...

I've a question, having spawned a JSBsim object and then just left it there and spawned another, what's controlling the first one ?
Can I jump to it and regain control ? if so how
Can an AI take control... or an auto pilot ?

Questions questions
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

zzz

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 05:43:54 pm »

Can your JSBsim file function above ~600,000m? Mine always stopped.

I've a question, having spawned a JSBsim object and then just left it there and spawned another, what's controlling the first one ?
Can I jump to it and regain control ? if so how

Pressing Enter whilst the camera's inside the model will let you enter and exit the model. If you exit then the plane is essentially pilotless. There is no autopilot, though aren't JSBsim autopilots coded within the JSM file with a bunch of if/else statements keeping it level?

If anyone's still following my vehicle space plane model, I've reduced a lot of the inertia and implemented a latched targeted throttle like the planes have. I'd like to implement mouse control and auto-level next.

bomber

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 02:58:15 am »

How do I know how high I am ?
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 03:16:57 am »

How do I know how high I am ?
Press 'TAB' key to show the HUD ;D

Also you can print in console within JavaScript, any JSBSim property, as position/h-sl-ft for example. But that only if you're in an aircraft, of course.

You can open the script directly from Outerra, by pressing ALT+E, then you can change anything, and press RELOAD. No need to close Outerra at all.

Also, you can edit the .js file with any other text editor such as Notepad++, then in Outerra just press ALT+R to reload the script.

bomber

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 03:20:57 am »

Thanks.... can you imagine how many times a night I've restarted Outerra ?  B-)

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 03:57:54 am »

Thanks.... can you imagine how many times a night I've restarted Outerra ?  B-)
:o That was a pain for sure! you just had to ask ;D

Don't hesitate to ask anything about anything, this wonderful community will always try to ask any questions ;)

bomber

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 05:04:32 am »

As you know when you first start with a new app you have to 'bed' yourself in.... it's hard to not continually compare it to other programs and get frustrated because your productivity has plummeted or because 'this can be done in program B, WHY can't I do it here "...

So there's an element of remaining calm, working through some of the issues on your own and getting to a point where you know what questions to ask...

That and having to re-learn blender, which is tough going working on solidedge 8 hours a day then hitting the blender wall when I get home.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 06:21:26 am »

As you know when you first start with a new app you have to 'bed' yourself in.... it's hard to not continually compare it to other programs and get frustrated because your productivity has plummeted or because 'this can be done in program B, WHY can't I do it here "...
I totally agree with you!
So there's an element of remaining calm, working through some of the issues on your own and getting to a point where you know what questions to ask...

That and having to re-learn blender, which is tough going working on solidedge 8 hours a day then hitting the blender wall when I get home.
I did the same thing, searching the answer for my questions by myself before trying to ask them on the forums (also the question may have been answered before, and you just have to use the search function :D), in fact, I didn't asked too much here. :P

Anyways, I think it's better asking before you spend all your free time trying to find a solution to your problem, or whatever it may be :P

Just my two cents.

bomber

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 06:50:21 pm »

Can your JSBsim file function above ~600,000m? Mine always stopped.

No one can hear you scream....