Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weapons  (Read 32350 times)

Zippy24

Re: Weapons
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 04:51:46 pm »

My view on this is that humans will not focus at all on weapons if they are all living in a colonizing ship. Weapon's will play a very small role in the first part of colonization of a planet, a gun would most likely be a compact medium caliber weapon with the main purpose of protecting explorers from animals. I personally think that the humans that are active on the ship will focus their studies on how to effectively colonize a planet; shelter, food and transportation will be their primary concerns not killing each other.

It does make sense after a planet has been colonized that there will be conflicts however the weapon technology will be very similar to what we have today. I think guns will resemble modern day weapons such as the STK CPW, P90 or the steyr AUG para variant. They are light weight and small, the P90 in particular has rounds that would be sufficient to penetrate any Thitawatokiya and continue doing your job.

You guys have to remember according to the back story many humans were stored away to be revived when planets were ready to be colonized, they weren't wandering around a space ship figuring out the best way to blow each other up; that comes after they colonize the planet and even then the technology will not be much more advanced than what it is today. These are just my opinions, sorry if I seem a bit pessimistic, I'm just trying to keep things believable. :)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 11:38:47 am »

It does make sense after a planet has been colonized that there will be conflicts however the weapon technology will be very similar to what we have today. I think guns will resemble modern day weapons such as the STK CPW, P90 or the steyr AUG para variant. They are light weight and small, the P90 in particular has rounds that would be sufficient to penetrate any Thitawatokiya and continue doing your job.
Your statements regarding weapons philosophy, I agree with, but I'm not sure either of those weapons would be sufficient, the P90's and CPW's penetration value comes at the cost of bullet diameter and range, which would limit the effectiveness of the gun.  The concept of "stopping power" is complicated like you wouldn't believe, but I also don't think 5.56mm as used by the AUG para variant would do the job either: people are already looking for a replacement.  I personally would base the main rifle off the EM-2; it was a brilliant idea decades ahead of its time that got shelved because of NATO standardization.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 01:46:35 pm »

I do like the more eclectic firearm. Bullpup snipers for sure.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 05:40:27 am »

Well, small arms, there will still be no significant change in their principles for a long-long time indeed. The only change will be in the systems itself (like the upgrade of AK-74 to AK-74M to newly Abakan AN-92 and so on). As for science-fiction weapons (it may be a late cold-war time, butt all the newly designs globaly are their ideas given to reality), any laser/plasma weaponry are from physics limit to the energy-capabilities of our sources, so as small arms, no way by my opinion ... butt, there are many projects from the soviet union:
 - Mobile anti-aircraft laser instalation - as just one of them on a MZKT-75165 chasis http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1443/pic02gh4.jpg, even as a Topol-M looking like laser wehicle (cant find that photo now).
 - Laser-tank - as a test of capabilities of that time and technology http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/3/2074/979e867973fc958638a309f921c.jpg
 - plasma technology in aerial and balistics - actually plsma emitters on the front-edge of planes to make a plasma-buble to eliminate the air-drag and open the possibility to fly beyond the limitations of airframes (something like gavitation for russian underwater shkval torpedoes to make it fast as a rocket underwater) + at the end of the film - mobile plasma emitters fousing on a certain place to make balistic projectiles (like in the video of MSTA-S) add/or aircrafts to loose wing-lift capability (because plasma has similar capabilities in balistics as vacuum). 
   Some interesting stuff has been build behind our backs : ) .. butt still, the laser weapons are now in Moscow museum, because it has a significant problem - the need of uninterrupted beaming of the object for to 10 min. !! (because it function is based on heating the warheads or airplane-frames and it acts somewhat lice in a microwawe - just said that to not opening the whole physics about it :)) The mass and dimensions comes so from the need of an werry eficient powersource and needed energy-capability of the lasers (thats why the tank has so many focussing lenses) to do it even in 10 minute time.
   Railgun project of the US NAVY has its big limitations too .. the system needs way to many el.-mag. emittors and an enormous powersource to run it, whyle the dimensions of it would take a half aircraft-carier to fit - not to mention, that it would be fixed !! (another tech. broblem whyte balancing the ship in other positions and during the shoot) Cant shoot much times whyteout changing the railguns components and my favorite - its energyconwerters cant survive sea-water :) .. so much to a NAVY-Program. Butt still, it gives enormous potential energy to small objects.
    As for the russian plasma-project, is still running both of them :)

And ad the end - EMPs - from the 50-ties ... a low-voltage wire, durinng exposion around it makes to change the el.-mag. field of the wire, changing its wavelength frequency making an enormous energy-boom burning el. circles all around. A good way to think about in the game EMP designs for realism and to make people a little more interested in sciences. : )

So my opinion would be in futuristic designs of small arms of various calibers as in our time, witch works well in the space too. (thus the fact, that the vacum-caliber-eficiency should be taken in mind) And in lots and lots of variants of them as in our time : )
(Of course whyte enormous laser and plasma vehicles in mind :D)

P.S.: Sorry for the English and the theories, just like to play whyte the head in games.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:01:27 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 12:39:57 am »

OMG ... what a 12,7 mm robocop-cannon ... needs to be in OT :D

We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Pages: 1 [2]