Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Player Models  (Read 20100 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Player Models
« on: March 03, 2011, 03:21:43 pm »

Probably the least important of the game aspects. Since there will be no multiplayer at the start and mirrors wont be a priority(will they be possible?) This topic is a bit moot.

Regardless of those facts lets start with helmets. Do we need them? Certainly not for pollutants but since we are always felling trees and building roads and driving th0rough hazardous terrain and flying helicopters I think protective headgear would be fashionable on earth 2.

Now I am not a fashionista but Hawaiian shirts and crash helmets don't work so some sort of standard technician one-z would suffice.

These are people down here not marines. Explorers of a sort. Both men and women of average height, build and believe it or not probably a single race/color! 1500 years couldn't all have been spent in cryo-sleep. :Boom-chica-wow-wow: ;)

On that subject this is one of the first results if you search "space explorer"
I wont embed http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_23600/subcat_41607/NB%20JPEG%20SARA%20SPACE%20EXPLORER%20300%20US%20MED207.jpg
This could work.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Hybodo

Player Models
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:28:14 pm »

If I was forced to run around as a pre-decided person, I'd be glad I was forced to be her. Just look at those feet, they're beautiful! Since that image made this thread seem like it was a joke, I won't go too in depth. I personally think that humans should have slightly evolved, meaning we're slightly taller than we are today, and slightly more muscular.
i5 760 @ 2.8GHz
4GB DDR3 1600 SDRAM
nVidia 9800GTX+ 512MB

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Player Models
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 09:49:38 am »

For inspiration like that, Frank Frazetta would be a lot better :D

If we're aiming for the late 21st/22nd century for the new start date of the ISA Outerra, and then returning 500-1000 years later, we won't look any different.  Even our Cro-Magon ancestors looked remarkably like us.  In order for any kind of genetic drift on that level would require tens of thousands of years, if not hundreds.

The Outerra as outlined in the story grabbed people from every walk of life.  Many different ethnicities, religions, ages, etc, were selected to represent a wide range of diversity (and to ensure future colonists had plenty of widely varied genetic material to ... uh ... "work" from :D  My original thought was to include family units as well ... in a 6-10 year time period after the colony was setup, the children would have become adults to help with colonization.  Without children going, it would take some 16-20 years before a new generation would be available.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

SpaceFlight

Player Models
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:50:09 am »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Both men and women of average height, build and believe it or not probably a single race/color!

Why would there be only one race/color ?

Quote from: cshawnsmith
The Outerra as outlined in the story grabbed people from every walk of life.  Many different ethnicities, religions, ages, etc, were selected to represent a wide range of diversity (and to ensure future colonists had plenty of widely varied genetic material to ... uh ... "work" from big_smile  My original thought was to include family units as well ... in a 6-10 year time period after the colony was setup, the children would have become adults to help with colonization.

This sounds much more like it imo.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Player Models
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:19:32 am »

Quote from: SpaceFlight

With the previous time-line I assume everyone on the ship was f__king everyone else and now we are all the same color. No racial bigotry here my friend.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Benjamin385

Player Models
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:37:07 am »

With the previous time-line I assume everyone on the ship was f__king everyone else and now we are all the same color. No racial bigotry here my friend.

I thought that they were in a cryogenic state?
Activision needs my Ideas - They have been making the same game for 6 years now

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Player Models
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:52:07 am »

way to ruin my 4 month old solid argument..

Benjamin385

Player Models
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 02:19:29 am »

way to ruin my 4 month old solid argument..

Your welcome ;)

Why shouldn't the Outtera team include different races?

I am not talking about ethnic background but in the sense of some have been in certain parts of the ship longer than others and that would reflect there skills on earth :)

Example -
Some People have been in the labs most of their lives and so have their great grand parents :)
Some People have been in engineering most of their lives so they know their way around a Reactor and its components.
Some People are born leaders in the sense that they were born into a position of leadership. (E.g. Captain or Officer)

This could also affect how people look examples being -
The Lab people are more slender and their heads are slightly bigger.
While Engineering is more Muscular.
While some are balance of both.

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
Player Models
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 07:34:30 am »

I think that different habitats would drive an evolution. If you had a planet with thin atmosphere then you would quickly get people with bigger chest capacity - think Olympic swimmers with just some training. Then there is different G levels on orbitals, moons and planets not to mention people who predominantly work in zero G. Then there might be a slightly different gas mix for the atmosphere which is tolerable to normal humans but you might quickly get bigger hearts, lungs or kidneys to extract different pollutants. Like alcoholics who's kidneys can tolerate ethanol even if they are getting damaged in the process. In fact I guess the most noticeable is skin color where its darker in sunny climates. A few weeks in the sun and your body adapts. I don't think it would take many generations to start to look a bit different.

Benjamin385

Player Models
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 12:58:00 am »

Hey Redrobes,

You have a point there on the human body adapting at a quick rate.

I personally think that the game should reflect this.

NAX

Re: Player Models
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:07:26 am »

Make the ppl blue so no one can complain

Epicmokies

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 12:11:38 pm »

I dont think having blue people would benefit people trying to complain about racism.  Or if that does become the case have fun trying to comeup with a reason why the human race suddenly turned blue lol  ;)
CPU: Intel i5 2500K @ 3.7GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3 Kingston
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
Videocard: MSI N560TI-Hawk
HDDs: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
PSU: Corsair TX650
Monitor: BenQ E2200HD + Chimei CMC 22 W

Matt6767

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 12:21:25 pm »

Make the ppl blue so no one can complain
That uh...that looks like it will open up a whole new set of problems. No offence to blue people.

My votes for keeping races. Not a big fan of the "everyone is the same" idea.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 01:24:07 pm »

Hmm, forum ate my reply earlier.  Weird.

At any rate, there would not be enough time for the crew to homogenize into one "race" (incidentally, I prefer the term ethnicity or culture rather than race, because we already ARE one race: Human; and that is reflected in the novel because it took the entirety of the human race to come together to build the Outerra.  So the crew will be made up of millions of people representing most of the cultures of the planet Earth).  The Outerra Initiative mission on-board ship time is about 180 years, but most of that time is spent in cryogenic hibernation.  Each individual member of the crew will only age about 2-3 years at the most because of that.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

SpaceFlight

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 01:32:29 pm »

Since this thread comes up, actually I did not think there was racial bigotry here. But I think there are quite a lot of combinations possible with 1000+ men and women onboard. (Actually I don't know the exact number of people onboard the spaceship). Anyways, one race/color for all people onboard seems to me like a very big change in a relatively short time frame (even with the old timeline. Can't remember how many years the ship was in space in the old one, 800 or so?). Plus there are always genetic mutations.

Edit: so there are millions of people onboard. Thats a lot more than I thought.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:57:53 pm by SpaceFlight »
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan
Pages: [1] 2