Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: just for Info & Fun.. WorldDEM airbus comparison with SRTM30  (Read 5540 times)

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion

click on the below link and play with the slider that comes at center of the image...

http://www.astrium-geo.com/en/5901-image-comparator?set=33152
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: just for Info & Fun.. WorldDEM airbus comparison with SRTM30
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:00:42 pm »

Is that a satellite data height-map for commercial aircraft ?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

2eyed

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:19:49 pm »

Areas with comparable detail in DEM would be amazing in OT. But as I read in former posts, mixing dem resolutions isn't possible yet (constraints with procedural terrain rendering). A high res region as a showcase we need!

HiFlyer

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:46:22 pm »

Areas with comparable detail in DEM would be amazing in OT. But as I read in former posts, mixing dem resolutions isn't possible yet (constraints with procedural terrain rendering). A high res region as a showcase we need!

I mentioned something similar and I believe the idea was received favorably......
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 02:54:17 pm »

I mentioned something similar and I believe the idea was received favorably......

... yes, they talked about trying to implement specific-area higher resolution data (on demand or trough some importer), but blending between them had to be resolved.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:23:52 pm »

click on the below link and play with the slider that comes at center of the image...

http://www.astrium-geo.com/en/5901-image-comparator?set=33152

It's a 8$ per km² database...
Let's say we keep things simple, be modest : we place an order for lands only. It's around 148 940 000 km² on Earth.
A cute little 1 191 520 000$ bill.  :o
There are even options : +2$ per km² for a clean map not including buildings or vegetation. And 1 additionnal $ per km² for water surfaces mask.
Even for montainous areas only, I don't want to imagine the price...

For such an amount of money, we should better launch our own space program to make the elevation map by ourselves  ;D

(Reference http://www2.astrium-geo.com/files/pmedia/public/r463_9_tsx_international_pricelist_en_02_2014.pdf, page 5)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:30:42 pm by Acetone »

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:40:54 am »

;D yes crazy prices and when you think about the fact that this mission is being payed by our own money (I'm an European guy and all this is funded by taxes we pay, LOL).

Well these datas are far from consumer or private "usage" but it would be nice to be able to ingest such in low quantities, for specific places, in OT.

Also when I look at what areas are already available, I find it a bit bizarre !
very little available in western/central Europe ? Australia, US and large parts of Russia...
http://worlddem-database.infoterra.de/

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:46:05 am »

;D yes crazy prices and when you think about the fact that this mission is being payed by our own money (I'm an European guy and all this is funded by taxes we pay, LOL).
Quote from: Airbus
WorldDEM™ is the product of the TanDEM-X Mission (TerraSAR-X add-on for Digital Elevation Measurements), realised as a Public Private Partnership (PPP) between Airbus DS and the German Aerospace Centre (DLR). Airbus DS holds the exclusive commercial marketing rights for the data and refines the elevation models according to the needs of commercial users worldwide.
Seems like you are right. Well, crap. However, in these public/private partnership, data is generaly shared with public institutions. It's still a bit sad that they will make profit on public funded projects. 

Well these datas are far from consumer or private "usage" but it would be nice to be able to ingest such in low quantities, for specific places, in OT.

Also when I look at what areas are already available, I find it a bit bizarre !
very little available in western/central Europe ? Australia, US and large parts of Russia...
http://worlddem-database.infoterra.de/
I think these areas were simply the most simple for them to refine. In a 12*12m grid, all vegetation and man-made structures appears on the relief. They have probably less work to do in toundras or midwest : it's almost flat and not really urbanised.