Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Lanai Island [WIP]  (Read 8217 times)

cjstepney

Lanai Island [WIP]
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:51:46 am »

I am just new to Outerra and experimenting with developing scenery. So far I'm hugely impressed, and I'm excited to see what the programmers have in store for us next. In my other life, I'm a FlightSim scenery developer for X-Plane 10, on the Hawaii Photoreal team. I love Hawaii, and while the trees in Outerra are incredibly wrong on most islands, they don't look very incorrect on the Hawaiian island of Lanai. It has one small airport and lots of fun dirt roads to mess around on, and a bit of exciting terrain. combined with a harbour, I'd say it's a good small location for Outerra that won't waste your time getting from point A to point B, but will still be quite interesting (especially along the north coast with the network of rutty dirt roads). I've finished the main road, airport and harbor, and have started on the road that switchbacks down the mountainside to the North Coast. I've had a problem with spawning boats in the harbor (they go flying up into the sky instead of down into the ocean), but other than that it's going wonderfully smoothly. I'm enjoying having a simulator that looks nice and performs well - my other platform is slowly but steadily going out of date with the developers getting stuck in the "we don't want to rewrite it from the ground up" hole. Here are some shots so far! I've included an overview shot of the island in case you don't know know what Lanai is, and also because I am always blown away by how accurate the terrain colours usually are in Outerra - in this island, spot on.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:01:50 pm by cjstepney »

HiFlyer

Re: Lanai Island [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 01:14:21 pm »

Looks cool! I've always had a soft spot for hawaii.......
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 02:43:29 pm »

Nice job, I'm really happy to see someone else doing scenery content!

A couple of notes:

• Never, ever hesitate to share the scenery, even if it's not finished. User feedback helps a lot to stay motivated. If you want more info on how to create a custom .otx file for local scenery content, take a look at the last post in my scenery tutorial. I will be really happy to help you if you need someone to take a look at it :)
  • The editor is not really easy to master, but once you get used to the short keys and the various tools it's a delight to use.
  • /!\Make backups of your scenery cache often/!\. Seriously, it's very important. After a couple of hours, go in your outerra user folder, and simply create an archive of the cache folder. Roads are not entirely reliable yet, especially if you start adjusting nodes. There is one horrible bug Brano still tries to catch were a road node placed at the edge of a tile will merge with an other road. If you don't notice it and reload the road, both are broken. Terrain looks like a warzone after that. So do saves, often.
  • Getting transitional areas and road priority is hard when you start, but it become easier after. I see in you first screenshot some problems with the lead-out area of the main parking. Don't worry about those, you will find how to fix this problem after some tests :)

Also just to be sure, you are working on earth2 right?
Good luck and really looking forward to test the scenery.

cjstepney

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 03:14:24 pm »

I'm working with Earth2, yeah, I couldn't stand the quality (or lack thereof) of the mesh in Hawaii from the old Earth. I'll take your advice with the backups, and I'll also get a copy of this up for people to try out :) Cheers!

StrakanXJ

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 05:50:25 pm »

looking forward to trying this out, nice and compact but very pretty...