Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Alaska scenery  (Read 172810 times)

2eyed

Re: Alaska scenery
« Reply #285 on: July 27, 2016, 09:10:48 am »

That looks promising! Can we adjust seasons via time scale?

HiFlyer

« Reply #286 on: July 27, 2016, 09:46:29 am »

My only caveat would be that the red trees are a bit unnaturally rectangular.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

aWac9

« Reply #287 on: July 27, 2016, 12:44:24 pm »

The red, could be a mistake in Alaska ... I find species as well.
the only biome red is low-growing vegetation beyond the northern boundary of the wooded area. far north, the tundra.

thanks for everything,,, is just an observation

http://myslide.es/documents/arboles-de-alaska.html
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:22:04 pm by aWac9 »

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #288 on: July 27, 2016, 06:37:15 pm »

My only caveat would be that the red trees are a bit unnaturally rectangular.

Yes... When I have some time I'll re-render those from a different angle.

The red, could be a mistake in Alaska ... I find species as well.
the only biome red is low-growing vegetation beyond the northern boundary of the wooded area. far north, the tundra.

thanks for everything,,, is just an observation

http://myslide.es/documents/arboles-de-alaska.html

The distribution of the species still lacks some parameters, but for include that we need more billboards, so for now we are using trees from all around the globe in all locations. Even so, I think a perfect match would be a real challenge, because, beside temperature and precipitation, there are too many factors that determine a specie can or can not grow in a specific location: soil, size os seeds (to be carried by the wind), water underground, insects (to pollinate), plagues... etc., etc.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #289 on: July 28, 2016, 04:01:21 am »

The distribution of the species still lacks some parameters, but for include that we need more billboards, so for now we are using trees from all around the globe in all locations. Even so, I think a perfect match would be a real challenge, because, beside temperature and precipitation, there are too many factors that determine a specie can or can not grow in a specific location: soil, size os seeds (to be carried by the wind), water underground, insects (to pollinate), plagues... etc., etc.

+ the human impact, very important in some areas (single species for paper/construction wood), it's impossible to reproduce that with biomes.

2eyed

« Reply #290 on: July 28, 2016, 03:21:29 pm »

Yes... When I have some time I'll re-render those from a different angle

Could you shed a light on how the trees are rendered? What kind of tree generator?
What do you think of photo derived textures? In my opinion, synthetic textures can't easily reach the look of real trees, often they look a bit lifeless.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #291 on: July 28, 2016, 04:16:22 pm »

In my opinion, synthetic textures can't easily reach the look of real trees, often they look a bit lifeless.

Yes, they can, but for that they would need a different lighting setup; make a photorealsitic render is not that hard, but in this case the ilumination must look as neutral as possible, so they fit under any lighting conditions inside the game as better as possible. Is tricky make look good a static texture on a dynamic environment.

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

2eyed

« Reply #292 on: July 30, 2016, 05:21:43 am »

In my opinion, synthetic textures can't easily reach the look of real trees, often they look a bit lifeless.

Yes, they can, but for that they would need a different lighting setup; make a photorealsitic render is not that hard, but in this case the ilumination must look as neutral as possible, so they fit under any lighting conditions inside the game as better as possible. Is tricky make look good a static texture on a dynamic environment.
I agree with you, lighting and shaping of billboard trees is tricky for getting convincing results. More variants could help to avoid a repeating patterns look. Better scaling (some trees are huge, leaves and trunks way too big compared to human) could help also. Resolution is not high enough for ground level without 3d trees. Dont' know what OT engine is capable of (how many individual instances). Is the strelizia tree also rendered? It looks more realistic.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:41:44 am by 2eyed »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]