User mods, screenshots & videos > Scenery

Alaska scenery

<< < (59/59)

2eyed:

--- Quote from: KW71 on July 27, 2016, 06:37:15 pm ---
Yes... When I have some time I'll re-render those from a different angle

--- End quote ---

Could you shed a light on how the trees are rendered? What kind of tree generator?
What do you think of photo derived textures? In my opinion, synthetic textures can't easily reach the look of real trees, often they look a bit lifeless.

KW71:

--- Quote from: 2eyed on July 28, 2016, 03:21:29 pm ---In my opinion, synthetic textures can't easily reach the look of real trees, often they look a bit lifeless.

--- End quote ---

Yes, they can, but for that they would need a different lighting setup; make a photorealsitic render is not that hard, but in this case the ilumination must look as neutral as possible, so they fit under any lighting conditions inside the game as better as possible. Is tricky make look good a static texture on a dynamic environment.

2eyed:

--- Quote from: KW71 on July 28, 2016, 04:16:22 pm ---
--- Quote from: 2eyed on July 28, 2016, 03:21:29 pm ---In my opinion, synthetic textures can't easily reach the look of real trees, often they look a bit lifeless.

--- End quote ---

Yes, they can, but for that they would need a different lighting setup; make a photorealsitic render is not that hard, but in this case the ilumination must look as neutral as possible, so they fit under any lighting conditions inside the game as better as possible. Is tricky make look good a static texture on a dynamic environment.

--- End quote ---
I agree with you, lighting and shaping of billboard trees is tricky for getting convincing results. More variants could help to avoid a repeating patterns look. Better scaling (some trees are huge, leaves and trunks way too big compared to human) could help also. Resolution is not high enough for ground level without 3d trees. Dont' know what OT engine is capable of (how many individual instances). Is the strelizia tree also rendered? It looks more realistic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version