Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: Alaska scenery  (Read 173386 times)

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
Re: Alaska scenes
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 04:19:10 pm »

Acetone, I wish I had a clone available to help you with this project.  Stunning work.  I'd love to fly over this sort of thing all the time, and Alaska is one of my favorite places to fly in X-Plane.  Here's to hoping it will be that for me in Outerra as well! 

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 04:35:15 pm »

Awesome work! and so much patience considering the available tools!

Thank you Levi ! I noticed you are using the airport for the glider preview, it's awesome  :D
I will be away from my main computer for the next couple of weeks, so there will unfortunately be no update for a (limited) moment.
A small snapshot of the work done today : more roads, more farms, more (buggy) fields  ;D

By the way, if anyone is interested to work on some additionnal buildings, he will be welcome ! NewS's Scandinavian houses are great but I'm afraid this little town in Alaska is starting to look like a remote Norway village  ;D
Of course I'm using your airports :) they looks beautiful :D

Don't worry, until you're away from your main computer, I'll hopefully be porting some models/buildings/houses from World2XPlane (by request from AVSIM member tonywob). Yep, I can port all of them, there are like 3.000 models :o Maybe not so high quality for close up views, but from above, those buildings looks pretty nice, isn't it? ;D

ferda

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 05:20:37 am »

Very nice first scenery, excellent work. All is OK.

Thanks  8) ferda

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 11:00:22 am »

Acetone, I wish I had a clone available to help you with this project.  Stunning work.  I'd love to fly over this sort of thing all the time, and Alaska is one of my favorite places to fly in X-Plane.  Here's to hoping it will be that for me in Outerra as well!

Thanks! Building this kind of scenery in Outerra require free time indeed (and a good music playlist  ;D). Even if they are very basic, the tools makes it really simple. For the record, the "basic" version of Ted Stevens airport was done in less than two hours :)

Don't worry, until you're away from your main computer, I'll hopefully be porting some models/buildings/houses from World2XPlane (by request from AVSIM member tonywob). Yep, I can port all of them, there are like 3.000 models :o Maybe not so high quality for close up views, but from above, those buildings looks pretty nice, isn't it? ;D

I've seen that (I keep an eye on the AVSIM topic), it's really cool! I don't think we'll have a more direct in-engine solution for buildings before a few years. For a flight-sim oriented scenery these models will be perfect :) However, don't try to port everything Levi, between this and your various planes convertions, you need to rest a bit  ;D

Very nice first scenery, excellent work. All is OK.

Thanks ferda !

HiFlyer

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 09:12:10 pm »

Acetone, you must be one tireless, no-sleeping son of a gun!!  ;D

I keep flying over your Takeeltna area and finding more and more roads and paths and houses, and......

Knowing how coarse the current placement tools are, and how frustrated I got when trying to put together a similar area (I gave up) I'm very appreciative of the amount of work involved.

Very very nice job!!
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

baber

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 11:38:15 pm »

Acetone you are a beast ! Amazing work.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 04:05:17 am »

I've seen that (I keep an eye on the AVSIM topic), it's really cool! I don't think we'll have a more direct in-engine solution for buildings before a few years. For a flight-sim oriented scenery these models will be perfect :) However, don't try to port everything Levi, between this and your various planes convertions, you need to rest a bit  ;D
Yep, you're right, and I may need some rest, but what else can I do in my free time if this is my new hobby now?  :D ;D

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 04:57:55 am »

I keep flying over your Takeeltna area and finding more and more roads and paths and houses, and......

If you want to do some landmarks flights, there is an interstate going to the south/south-east of Talkeetna. If you follow it, you may find a small gravel runway at some point (Willow airport). Perfect for the Cessna and I think the Basler could land on it :). There is also a road going straight to the west, really far away. I don't really know why I have kept building it, but it's a good landmark too  ;D

Have you found the radar station? The vacation center (hidden in the trees, direct view on Mt McKinley), the not-so-well hidden easter egg? ;)

Knowing how coarse the current placement tools are, and how frustrated I got when trying to put together a similar area (I gave up) I'm very appreciative of the amount of work involved.
Very very nice job!!

Thank you! It's not that hard once you get used to it, and a bit addictive too. I can't wait to be able to go back to work on it, especially after having such a good feedback from the community  :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:16:30 pm by Acetone »

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 02:04:58 pm »

I can't believe I have forgotten the small village strip in Talkeetna ;D

It is visible here, right in the middle of the town :

Well, an other thing on my TODO list  ::)

2eyed

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 02:39:01 pm »

Rivers!! We need rivers and lakes so bad!! ;D
Acetone, keep up your road digging! Fantastic!

HiFlyer

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 02:56:41 pm »

If you want to do some landmarks flights, there is an interstate going to the south/south-east of Talkeetna. If you follow it, you may find a small gravel runway at some point (Willow airport). Perfect for the Cessna and I think the Basler could land on it :). There is also a road going straight to the west, really far away. I don't really know why I have kept building it, but it's a good landmark too  ;D

Have you found the radar station? The vacation center (hidden in the trees, direct view on Mt McKinley), the not-so-well hidden easter egg? ;)

Very very nice job!!

Thank you! It's not that hard once you get used to it, and a bit addictive too. I can't wait to be able to go back to work on it, especially after having such a good feedback from the community  :)

There are some role-playing games I frequented that gave players the opportunity to build their own little mini domains (in RIFT they're called dimensions) and decorate them as they liked. It wasn't my cup of tea, but I saw there were some people who just went wild and built these huge, elaborate worlds that must have taken forever, and they took lots of pride in inviting other players to visit and take a look.

You must have some of that in you.  ;)
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 03:03:11 pm »

Rivers!! We need rivers and lakes so bad!! ;D
Acetone, keep up your road digging! Fantastic!

Thanks!

The v0.2 easter-egg is rivers-related  ;)

I should try an experiment later, in september, and see if i can come up with some decent river banks using the gravels roads. It's probably too complex but I will test it :)

HiFlyer

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 07:23:45 am »

Apparently I'm a bit anal retentive, as I have spent some quality time grounding (slightly) floating buildings, lifting wheels a fraction of an inch so they are not embedded in concrete and pulling a half-buried chicken restaurant back out of the ground. :lol:

Its interesting you were able to get actual writing into the ground using the available tools; that must have been time consuming! I'm hoping that at some point things like that become much easier so that people can do customized taxiway markings, parking lot markings, street markings, crosswalks and etc.

2eyed

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 08:53:41 am »

Did anyone also notice a inconsistant frame rate when rendering the scene?
I get uneven frames, kind of stuttering when travelling at or near ground level. It's more pronounced in stereoscopic mode (which I run mostly) of course. Grass distance is at 90m. Wonder how it would work with even more buildings, props.
How can my poor Gtx770/4gb cope with required 75hz for Oculus DK2 (in the near, bright future)?
It seems, that a full populated world with fsx like scene density is too taxing for the engine until now.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 11:51:55 am »

Grass is the single most taxing thing there is, and stretching it further than default won't help it either. Also, didn't you boost requests-per-frame?
If it's about inconsistent frame rate, I guess the problem is in the generator. Roads currently sometimes cause syncs on the GPU, caused when one road has to be flushed before the other can be processed for programmatic blending. Currently it's flushed after each road, regardless of whether the road segments intersect or not. With many roads in one place it may cause a non-optimal GPU utilization, which may be more prominent with high requests-per-frame values. Note this only affect stuttering when moving, when many new tiles have to be generated. Obviously it will have to be optimized, along with other things in the road system, but it's something I'm postponing until the road system upgrade.

However, the changes that Oculus brought in with DK2 leave us with mixed feelings. Expecting that anything other than simple demos will be able to reach consistent 75 or later even 90 fps in stereoscopic rendering mode is kind of crazy. Things like portrait displays requiring locked vsync make it hard. I hope they manage to get a low persistency freesync panel instead; the whole vsync thing is a bad heritage from CRT monitors anyway and should have been eradicated a long time ago.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20