Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: submarines  (Read 19594 times)

bomber

submarines
« on: August 18, 2014, 05:50:19 pm »

What's the deal with these ?

Anyone tried to make one...
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

HiFlyer

Re: submarines
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:48:02 pm »

How about the USOS Seaview? It would be great if somebody could actually get the flying sub to work as well........  ;D

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

M7

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 08:35:17 pm »

What a flash back :o ;D I'm old enough to have watched that show, that and lost in space...

HiFlyer

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:45:42 pm »

What a flash back :o ;D I'm old enough to have watched that show, that and lost in space...

Never seen an actual episode, but over the years, I've seen snippets, and the movie (Saturday sci-fi) seemed pretty cool!

I've never seen Time tunnel or Land of the Giants either (except snippets) but I have a general idea about them, and they all seem like great, schlocky fun!

And of course, everyone on earth has seen Lost in Space and Star Trek.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:57:16 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

M7

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 10:47:40 am »

What's the deal with these ?

Anyone tried to make one...

i imported one once from the sketchup warehouse. It looks good but there's not much you can do with these atm. Dont think you can script them to submerge for example. But i think flying submarine could be possible as you can get planes to fly ...underwater  ;D

bomber

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 11:16:47 am »

Is there sufficient depth throughout the sea or is the floor modelled only local to the shore ?

"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

M7

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 11:20:52 am »

thats a good question, i never wandered underwater far out of the shore  :-[

bomber

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 11:24:17 am »

Has anyone else noticed how dark it is when you get deep ?

does Outerra support lights ?

M7

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:43:55 am »

Have you played with the environment tab >water?  you can make water lighter from there but it think it will still get dark quickly as you go deep.

bomber

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 12:49:17 pm »

I'm asking about submarines because somewhere on my computer I've 2 German U-boats along with the complete German surface fleet which I know people are on with so won't tread on anyones toes there.

The point being I need an internal model, in exchange I'll create a 'flight model' for it.... after all an aeroplane is just an object moving through a less dense medium...

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 01:15:56 pm »

Check out this one if you haven't already: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2497.0

It's made as a watercraft, but notice how it's submerging. I think if a submarine would behave like this, won't be that bad.

bomber

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 01:26:04 pm »

It's cold at the bottom of the Mariana Trench

And very dark in the Dead Sea

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:43:42 pm by bomber »

M7

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 02:18:03 pm »

Looks like when sea gets 1000 feet deep or more, the sea floor cease to exist. But around shores at less than 1000 feet, it's fine.

bomber

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 02:20:25 pm »

It doesn't cease to exist, it's still there and can be struck.. It's visually just not there.

But from inside a submarine, you can't see outside anyway.

M7

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 02:39:09 pm »

Also  there's no other light source than the sun and the ambient, so it should be a bit dark at 200-300 feet deep unless you make the water milky white in environment tab
Pages: [1] 2