Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: [Released] Schleicher ASK-13 (glider)  (Read 74820 times)

bongodriver

Re: [Released] Schleicher ASK-13 (glider)
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2015, 04:42:47 pm »

I think Jcomm is still busy trying to make up his mind which combat flight simulator he likes best, I have spoken to him at the DCS and IL2 forums.

HiFlyer

« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2015, 05:17:31 pm »

I think Jcomm is still busy trying to make up his mind which combat flight simulator he likes best, I have spoken to him at the DCS and IL2 forums.

Nope, he's backed away from combat sims.

You never know where you will find jcomm next!  =D
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

bomber

« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2015, 05:39:30 pm »

I reversed the controls to test the K13 anyway just so things felt natural for me.

My thoughts:

1)roll is very slow, much slower than I think it should be.
2)it has what seems to be a very nose down attitude for level flight but I must find a decent way to set up trim (assuming it works)
3)I could not spin it at all, even flick rolls were difficult, always seemed to go right despite rudder input.
4)I could not do a loop without going way into the yellow arc close to Vne, I recall the K13 was easy to loop.
5)Slip ball seems to give reversed sense indications.

1)I wonder if there's something not right with my thinking on rotating objects..

Question : does a rotating paddle attain the same speed in a static airflow as opposed to a moving airflow, what's your thoughts on this anyone?

2)it's a glider, there's no thermals and no wind being used at present, so it has to be always going down.... if you take your hands off the controls it attains a 28:1 glide ratio, lift/drag ratio...

3) can you describe a flick roll as you're doing it for me and others to repeat the test ?

4) no comment on this

5) I'll have a look maybe animation incorrect, not a flight model issue as such
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bongodriver

« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2015, 06:07:08 pm »

I reversed the controls to test the K13 anyway just so things felt natural for me.

My thoughts:

1)roll is very slow, much slower than I think it should be.
2)it has what seems to be a very nose down attitude for level flight but I must find a decent way to set up trim (assuming it works)
3)I could not spin it at all, even flick rolls were difficult, always seemed to go right despite rudder input.
4)I could not do a loop without going way into the yellow arc close to Vne, I recall the K13 was easy to loop.
5)Slip ball seems to give reversed sense indications.

1)I wonder if there's something not right with my thinking on rotating objects..

Question : does a rotating paddle attain the same speed in a static airflow as opposed to a moving airflow, what's your thoughts on this anyone?

2)it's a glider, there's no thermals and no wind being used at present, so it has to be always going down.... if you take your hands off the controls it attains a 28:1 glide ratio, lift/drag ratio...

3) can you describe a flick roll as you're doing it for me and others to repeat the test ?

4) no comment on this

5) I'll have a look maybe animation incorrect, not a flight model issue as such

1. I am lost with the rotating paddle theory, I simply find the rate of roll to be very slow, this basically means the ailerons are relatively ineffective and the rate of roll is not significantly improved with higher airspeed.
2. I am aware it's a glider, I am aware they are in a constant descent (even in a thermal), I said it has a nose down 'attitude' as in the deck angle of the fuselage seems to point down too much for 'level' flight.
3.a flick roll is a spin induced from high speed instead of from a stall entry, it uses the same pro-spin inputs i.e. full back stick and full rudder deflection and held through the manoeuvre until recovery which usually only needs the controls to neutral.
4. further comment is that I would expect a loop to be attainable from within the green arc close to Va (start of the yellow arc) but it has been a long time.
5. yes, it may be animation, just something I observed and stood out for me as a pilot.

bomber

« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2015, 12:50:37 pm »

http://target4today.com/_posted_files_/ASK-13.Levi.otx

Thanks for the comments bongodriver, try this update to the roll dampening logic.

regards

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bongodriver

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2015, 01:34:46 pm »

Roll certainly feels better.

bongodriver

« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2015, 04:19:21 pm »

if you get a chance also you might look at the rudder on both the K13 and the Cessna, for me they are both working in reverse, the animation is correct but their effect is wrong.

bomber

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2015, 04:21:27 pm »

Ok.....

bomber

« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2015, 02:11:23 pm »

http://target4today.com/_posted_files_/ASK-13.Levi.otx

Ok I've sorted out the rudder logic....

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2015, 06:53:42 pm »

Hi, i thought that since i fly gliders comparable to this one in real life i would give it a try and give some feedback. But do i need the full version of this game to test these mods?

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2015, 12:14:02 am »

Hi, i thought that since i fly gliders comparable to this one in real life i would give it a try and give some feedback. But do i need the full version of this game to test these mods?

... yes, you do ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2015, 11:18:53 am »

Bought the game. i'm impressed with what you guys have been able to do with it.

Ok, here's what i have to say about it:

when i turn i don't really feel like i have to help with the rudder so much to keep it coordinated. i suspect that you have to use more rudder in the real airplane when you bank into the turn to keep it coordinated.

While doing stall-turns i noticed that the plane would not correct itself properly afterwards. usually, if you do the stall-turn correctly, the nose should come around pretty rapidly (to the point where you need opposite rudder to "catch" it)

I was not able to make it drop a wing, nor was i able to spin it.

I'm not sure about this, as it can be really different form aircraft to aircraft, but i would expect the elevator to be a bit more responsive when looking at how big the control surface is.

All in all i have to say im really impressed of your work though  :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:29:13 pm by FarlanderMiG »

bomber

« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2015, 03:32:40 pm »

Thanks for your comments in both this thread and the cessna...

I agree with everything you've said, and I could add more besides...

This flight model is just 'a means to an end'...The end being a better way at creating realistic flight models that incorporates damage to aerodynamic capabilities within its very core rather that being an add on at a later date.

It's undergoing it's 18th rewrite at the moment,  which will address some drag issues.

The thing about this glider is its forward swept wings... Usually a planes wing stalls from the root outwards,  the centre of pressure moving outwards and backwards increasing static margin,  making the plane more laterally stable whilst maintaining aileron control... This planes wing however stalls from the centre of the wing both inwards and outwards at the same time... It's very odd.

Simon.

FarlanderMiG

« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2015, 05:59:19 pm »

I completely understand that it's just a rough model for now  :)

I'm also quite familiar with the forward swept wing design as i have flown the l-23 blanik quite a lot.
When i did my stall practice and spin practice i found out that the l-23 is easy to keep in a stall with wings level, but it wants to drop a wing sometimes. other than that i also noticed that if you don't apply a little bit of opposite aileron in the spin it will simply come out of the spin even if you hold the stick all the way back. We don't know if that is something universal for the l-23's or if it's a slight variation with our plane.

Im new here, so excuse me if im repeating what has already been acknowledged, but the wing seem to bend more to negative G's than to positive. i heard somebody say it was more dependent on AoA than G's?

The forward swept wings also put alot of twisting pressure on the wings. Especially if you fly upside down (not allowed to fly inverted with two people).

The reason for it is so that you don't have change ballast depending on the 2nd pilot. (cog stays pretty much the same)

But i can see how hard it would be to make a precise flight model.

Anyways, really love your models. been playing around with them whole day, cant wait so see the future of this engine.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:07:17 pm by FarlanderMiG »

bomber

« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2015, 05:52:44 am »

Hi everyone... a request

I need the help of a German speaker, to read the pilots manual and calculate the position of the CoG and Centre of lift...
knock up a small fag packet sketch, photo it and post it up..

I just need a cross check, there's something I'm not sure on..

Anyone up for helping, and it can be multiple people (as a double cross check) the pilots manual is within the docs section of the download...

Regards

Simon
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8