Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: [Released] Schleicher ASK-13 (glider)  (Read 74803 times)

bomber

Re: [WIP] Schleicher ASK-13 (glider)
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 09:16:14 am »

Yep, there's a good chance that close up it's noticeable, infact I'd hope it is.

But it begs a question,.... 'when is good enough, good enough ?'

In a 3d environment we can zillion in real close to out object, and if the object needs to be looked at real close then it should be detailed enough to cope... But what distance should a plane be viewed at ?

I've hand a rule for years now that if a plane looks ok from the distance of a wingspan away, it's good enough, because I'll be sat in my cockpit looking at it from that distance and no nearer.

Simon.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

HiFlyer

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 09:20:20 am »

Well we already have a bird-creature that flaps its wings very energetically, and I can't remember any show-stopping graphical anomalies.......
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

bomber

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 09:52:03 am »

Having done some quick research it seems overall wingflex based on distance up n down is anywhere between 8° and 14°..... if we rotate each section 1° we should cover this and not be noticeable.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

HiFlyer

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 10:24:16 am »

Having done some quick research it seems overall wingflex based on distance up n down is anywhere between 8° and 14°..... if we rotate each section 1° we should cover this and not be noticeable.

Well....... Just be careful......  ;D

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 10:55:21 am »

lol, I've archived the same effect while doing the wingflex on the A-380. It was kinda funny :D

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 11:23:02 am »

Yep, there's a good chance that close up it's noticeable, infact I'd hope it is.

But it begs a question,.... 'when is good enough, good enough ?'

In a 3d environment we can zillion in real close to out object, and if the object needs to be looked at real close then it should be detailed enough to cope... But what distance should a plane be viewed at ?

I've hand a rule for years now that if a plane looks ok from the distance of a wingspan away, it's good enough, because I'll be sat in my cockpit looking at it from that distance and no nearer.

Simon.

... is true story ... i just hope it wont be visible in bombers from gunner-positions and at wing-tip cameras. When its not, than this way is no bad at all to the future too ...

P.S. : ... when planes become birds and flap their wings ..  ;D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Krutan

• King Crab
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 02:17:42 pm »

That's one way to save the environment ;D

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 04:04:16 pm »

P.S. : ... when planes become birds and flap their wings ..  ;D
Just like this, isn't it?  ;D ;D

HiFlyer

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 04:15:01 pm »

Actually on that plane it looks kind of cool!

Also, this video is unlisted. Is it alright to share?

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 04:17:16 pm »

Oh, I forgot to make it public :D
Of course you can share it, go ahead :) and thank you :)

HiFlyer

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 04:17:52 pm »

Oh, I forgot to make it public :D
Of course you can share it, go ahead :) and thank you :)

Thanx!

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 04:18:42 pm »

HiFlyer

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 04:23:04 pm »

bomber

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 08:16:55 am »

That's a great start Levi, the animation looks to be run off the AoA of the wing at present, we can change that to a property specific to the force generated by the individual section of the wing.. This would be as realistic as we could get I reckon. I'm working on the data needed for the Ilyushin Il-14 flight model at present, I could drop off that and work for a week on the wingflex code needed in the flight model... it's your call I'm easy whichever way.

Now let's talk animation..

You notice before the wing was broken up into sections that the smoothing was a uniformly long run, but now that the wings broken up the smoothing only goes as far as the end of the sections, that's because the 'end points' used here are fixed in space with no smoothing applied whereas the 'intermediate points' have smoothing applied... So we need to make the 'end points' of each section 'intermediate points'

Now it's going to look odd in blender but here's the trick...

For the section of the wing you're dealing with include the sections to the right and left of it and weld up the points as before... now the points on the section we're dealing with are 'intermediate points' not 'end points'....  but there's a problem the section is too long and won't work when flexing.... and that's because the outer sections are VISIBLE..... and we don't want that. So using the smallest possible alpha texture apply this to these sections...

When rendered ingame these outer section wont appear but the section of wing we do see has 'intermediate points' and not end points and thus smoothing is still applied...

Apply this trick to all sections and the wing should look as before it was broken up, nice and uniformly smoothed....

Have fun..  :)

Simon

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:20:04 am by bomber »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8