Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: World2XPlane model library.  (Read 94251 times)

tonywob

Re: World2XPlane model library.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 06:45:04 am »

It occurs that if very many are using the same texture sheets, that would make it a lot less difficult if someone decided to replace those textures with something higher resolution.......?

The Uwespeed ones all use one or two texture sheets and were autogenerated by a program. They are intended as completely generic buildings of various sizes not covered by the higher quality regional models. Those particular textures could easily be improved, however the models are very simple, basically 4 walls and a roof. Uwe had created the German textures with a goal of simply replacing the texture sheet with something like an Italian one without rebuilding all the models again.

The UK/PL/DE/CH regional buildings all have more detail, but the majority are simplified shapes (some have chimneys, garages, entrance areas). Remembering of course, that in X-Plane you can have thousands of these objects in small areas, so keeping the triangle and texture size down was incredibly important. I'm sure the same still stands for Outerra. Once such buildings are placed from something like OSM data, as they are with World2XPlane, then I'd imagine performance will become an issue.

The Blacky75 models (and there are hundreds of them) were all created by hand in Sketchup and share a few texture sheets. The buildings are again generic European and mostly simple squares with a roof and Chimney. These textures can also be improved, changed and regionalised.

I believe it's important for people to know that the building library was made for flight simulation, and the buildings aren't meant to be seen close up, but from 100ft+ above plus.

HiFlyer

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 07:04:05 am »

Understood. But they will still have to be redone when night lighting becomes available, and Outerra comes up with whatever its equivalent of LIT will be.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 07:13:32 am »

Unfortunately many of the original Blender or Sketchup models weren't checked in to github for size, etc..
No problem.

However, you can import the models straight into Sketchup and then export them to 3DS skipping the Blender part. I've done this on some occasions when I've wanted to reuse or resize a model. The plugin for Blender still can't import the models which is a bit of a pain.
SketchUp would slow down the process a lot! I've tested it and the UV's got messed up, duplicated polygons, and some models needs .png texture files instead .DDS. Also, when I import from a region/folder like 'uwespeed', all the models have to be imported in the same scene, something that SketchUp complicates the thing a lot!
The importer for Blender 2.49 works pretty well for now ;)

Is there a specification for the 3D format for Outerra, maybe we can just automate the lot in one go using the same texture sheets?
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but the models from 'uwespeed' are all using only 3 textures.
Also you may have already noticed that there are a .mtl file for each model created by the Outerra's importer. That's not needed, i'll reduce those to max 3 .mtl files, or even one if it will work(this process will be automated) ;)

tonywob

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 07:19:29 am »

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but the models from 'uwespeed' are all using only 3 textures.
Also you may have already noticed that there are a .mtl file for each model created by the Outerra's importer. That's not needed, i'll reduce those to max 3 .mtl files, or even one if it will work(this process will be automated) ;)

I don't know enough about the Outerra format, but what I mean is writing a script that will run through all the X-Plane .obj files, parse them and then output the format needed by Outerra. If there are some file specifications for the format then I can have a look and see if it's possible. I also think such a script would just be useful on its own also for converting airport buildings from other projects  :)

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 07:39:00 am »

I don't know enough about the Outerra format, but what I mean is writing a script that will run through all the X-Plane .obj files, parse them and then output the format needed by Outerra. If there are some file specifications for the format then I can have a look and see if it's possible. I also think such a script would just be useful on its own also for converting airport buildings from other projects  :)
Ah ok.
Outerra actually imports two types of file format: Collada and FBX.

For this conversion I'm using Collada importer (and exported with OpenCollada from Max 2015) because each separate mesh/object needs to be a single entity when imported into Outerra. That's very important!

If it would be possible to create a script, I think that converting from XPlane .obj to .FBX, .DAE or similar, so 3ds Max can correctly import them, would be enough. The process from 3ds Max to Outerra is done in just a couple of seconds.

Each XPlane .obj file would need to be a single object in Max. Or, let's say that if a building is made from several meshes, those will need to be parented to a single object. This way Outerra will recognize it as one entity.

I hope this poor explanation is understandable... :-\

tonywob

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 07:45:34 am »

Thanks for the information.

I don't think this in a issue. All the buildings (at least those I've done) are all single meshes. If you open up a typical .obj file, you'll see at the bottom the triangle commands. If there is only one, then it's a single mesh. The only time I've seen multiple meshes used in the world-models library is when defining LODs. The Blender exporter has done a very good job of producing efficient single mesh objects.

If I get time over the weekend, I'll have a look at writing a converter to DAE (Or maybe there already is one). DAE seems a fairly straight forward format. Also, all X-Plane objects only use a single texture (Apart from the night texture as well), so it should be fairly easy.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 08:43:44 am »

Thanks for the information.
Anytime!

I don't think this in a issue. All the buildings (at least those I've done) are all single meshes. If you open up a typical .obj file, you'll see at the bottom the triangle commands. If there is only one, then it's a single mesh. The only time I've seen multiple meshes used in the world-models library is when defining LODs. The Blender exporter has done a very good job of producing efficient single mesh objects.
Yes, most of the buildings(if not all) are single mesh, but for some buildings, it seems that the importer(both Blender and SketchUp) splits the models into several meshes...
Also, I've seen some houses with trees. As the trees are using an alpha texture, those will have to be separate/individual meshes.

If I get time over the weekend, I'll have a look at writing a converter to DAE (Or maybe there already is one). DAE seems a fairly straight forward format. Also, all X-Plane objects only use a single texture (Apart from the night texture as well), so it should be fairly easy.
That's great!

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 08:54:24 am »

A very little update[main download link updated]:
  • One single .mtl file for all the models instead of one per model(this may help with the performance and with size on disk as well).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:02:03 am by Levi »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 10:40:15 am »

can be that the other mesh part of the models is a collision mesh ... or is it just cut in pieces in blender ?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HiFlyer

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 10:54:40 am »

X-plane 10, the sim these buildings were designed for, never had much in the way of collision detection, so its doubtful.....
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

tonywob

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 10:56:33 am »

can be that the other mesh part of the models is a collision mesh ... or is it just cut in pieces in blender ?

No, in X-Plane you either say the object is hard or not, there isn't a collision mesh.

Mossie

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 10:58:40 am »

Raises the question in my mind, does a build imported now have a collision mesh? Or is a standard, what ever that is, already applied during the import?

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 12:18:01 am »

Raises the question in my mind, does a build imported now have a collision mesh? Or is a standard, what ever that is, already applied during the import?

The model should have a collision mesh possibility like the four LODs ... doe, it isnt working yet. I think it will come whyte some broader importer updates. But it would be nice to make some ramp-area objects  to test suspensions ...  :)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 02:52:57 am »

New models added:
  • [Released] World2XPlane > supermarkets     [9 models]     Download

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 03:54:53 am »

New models added:
  • [Released] World2XPlane > agriculture     [18 models]     Download