Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: LOD  (Read 9076 times)

M7

LOD
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:43:19 pm »

How do we set LOD? I tried with this model to create a 3 levels LOD. The color church is LOD0, the red box is LOD1 and the light gray low poly church is LOD2 but they all show at once at all distance. I used the FBX importer and i didn't edit anything in it. I tried to change the lod_curve and lod_curve1 in the objdef but it doesn't seem to do anything.

M7

Re: LOD
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:40:23 pm »

I searched the outerra site and i could not find any explanatory thread on the subject other than what is on the wiki. I thought i did everything right in reference to the wiki. I'm sure it's something super simple ....

ddenn

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 01:31:02 am »

For FBX importer all you need is properly named objects, like 'house_LOD0', 'house_LOD1', 'house_LOD2' etc. and importer automatically make them LODs objects. You don't have to use groups.
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

bomber

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 07:52:59 am »

Was torn between putting this idea in 3 different places, but thought here's as good as any.

Can LOD be based not only on distance, but also on closing speed... I suggest this as a flight simmer that thinks that as I whiz past a building at low alt I don't need it to be the best detail, I'm going going to see it for a fraction of a second.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 08:37:01 am »

Keep in mind the low and slow flyers though, and even the Gliders!!  ;D

And Outerra is not really just a flight sim, and I hope it never limits itself to just that.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

M7

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 10:13:35 am »

Thanks Denn for the response. Now in sketchup, i dont seems to be able to name individual mesh , i can only give a name to a groug or to a component(instance) , so i have to use group i guess. Can LOD naming   work with group?

ddenn

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 10:26:36 am »

It was suppose to work for groups initially as far as I know, but after introducing FBX importer LODs work for mesh names only. I'm surprised you can't rename objects in sketchup though, that is basic functionality for any 3d editing software .

P.s. It seems possible http://developer.reallusion.com/whitepaper/sketchup_group_component/index.asp Component renaming should be enough.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 10:34:49 am by ddenn »

About Outerra in Russian

M7

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 11:00:11 am »

Yeah you can name components which is like a clone mesh, but all cloned mesh will share the same name.

So still tried to turn groups into individual component and named them with LOD1  LOD2  but the importer still doesnt get it.

Now i guess the only option is to export to blender or max , edit the LOD mesh name, then import into outerra.

ddenn

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 11:16:12 am »

You can also rename meshes in OT importer, if you change node name Mesh1 to Mesh1_LOD1 it will become LOD1, so no additional software is required
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:38:49 pm by ddenn »

About Outerra in Russian

M7

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 11:42:01 am »

YES!!!! that did the trick!  I'm so glad that i dont have to go through another program. Thanks a lot Denn for taking the time.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 12:11:00 am »

Its still kinda strange, that SketchUp cant just name a mesh ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

bomber

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 06:59:52 am »

Keep in mind the low and slow flyers though, and even the Gliders!!  ;D

And Outerra is not really just a flight sim, and I hope it never limits itself to just that.

I agree 100% its why I make the suggestion.. Tank battles within urban areas are also of interest to me. With the profusion of static models we could end up with a situation where they don't quite meet any genres requirements, falling between two stones. LOD gives the opportunity to meet everyones needs, but simply using distance from an object might not be progressive enough for what's needed..

Anyway it's just an idea.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

M7

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 10:11:41 am »

Can LOD be based not only on distance, but also on closing speed... I suggest this as a flight simmer that thinks that as I whiz past a building at low alt I don't need it to be the best detail, I'm going going to see it for a fraction of a second.

I think it's an excellent idea. It would affect only fast moving object. It would make no difference for ground vehicle or slow flying object. It's the kind of idea that can make flight sim more compatible with ground type of simulation i would say.

bomber

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 01:59:33 pm »

It's the kind of idea that can make flight sim more compatible with ground type of simulation i would say.

Exactly where I'm coming from, so instead of the possibility of two or more separate development 'teams' with their ideas of what best suits their own individual requirements and bugger anyone else. We start at this very early stage to understand the requirements of each others genre and what we can DO to help each other by not making it difficult for them.

I've seen this far too often where people that want a functionality are more interested in getting their results and care nowt for the effects it has on others coming along later.

Looking at buildings we can start to develop a package of builds using models and textures that represent how we wish to use that building in the future, from walking into it, driving past it, driving through it, flying over it.... a new building, tired building, derelict building, destroyed building.. I'd suggest that once we've understood the format, textures needed it'll start to become for the artists involved as easy as shelling peas.

Simon

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 02:30:50 pm »

... from walking into it, driving past it, driving through it, flying over it....
... just like the four LODs .... yes, some all fitting "standard" would be great.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Pages: [1] 2