Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - Performance Overview  (Read 4887 times)

HiFlyer

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - Performance Overview
« on: September 23, 2014, 10:24:15 am »

This is pure nerd-bait!! (And I want one)

Also, some interesting features in there that might do very good things for Outerra.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:32:16 am by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - Performance Overview
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:16:41 pm »

Considering the price, the invesment is not really worth it (it's pretty much the same thing with every hight-end card, at some point, you only gain 10% perf per 100 more $). They did a great job with this two first generations of Maxwell in energy management but we won't probably see a real graphic gap until the 20nm GPU release.

In fact, if you are looking for a new card the GTX970 is 200$ cheaper for an average 10fps difference according to the various benchmarks I've seen   ;D (Crysis 3, 2560*1440, Hight, SMAA, DX11 = 56fps for the 970). Well, of course these have been made on review cards send to these journalist by the manufacturer and it's well known that these models are generaly overclocked for best perfs  ::)(around 10% or 20%).

thx_nb

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 01:29:35 pm »

Also, it seems the 970 can be overclocked quite easily to nearly match the performance of a stock 980, which makes it an even better choice, I think.

Indeed, seeing as how both these cards deliver the same or better performance than for example a 780/780 TI with a significantly lower power draw, I'm quite interested what the jump to 20nm will bring.

My main interest lies with the price drops for older cards though. Would be nice to replace my GTX 660 with something a little more powerful in the near future.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 01:47:06 pm »

I was happily surprised by the 970 price announcement, especially that it's also >780, but I think the latter was to be expected this time, since that was true with the 600-700 generations.

However... I still don't feel it's worth an upgrade from the 770.  (For those who don't know, they renamed the 800 series as 900 to catch up with their mobile GPU names..., so that's why it's gone.)  I think an upgrade every 2 gens is still more reasonable.

even if I don't get the new MFAA... (FOR NO REASON!  >:()
Buttt.... If previous gens don't get the new VR latency-cutting technologies... I might be F'd when/if the Rift actually releases next Summer.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:49:54 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 02:07:41 pm »

Considering the price, the invesment is not really worth it (it's pretty much the same thing with every hight-end card, at some point, you only gain 10% perf per 100 more $). They did a great job with this two first generations of Maxwell in energy management but we won't probably see a real graphic gap until the 20nm GPU release.

In fact, if you are looking for a new card the GTX970 is 200$ cheaper for an average 10fps difference according to the various benchmarks I've seen   ;D (Crysis 3, 2560*1440, Hight, SMAA, DX11 = 56fps for the 970). Well, of course these have been made on review cards send to these journalist by the manufacturer and it's well known that these models are generaly overclocked for best perfs  ::)(around 10% or 20%).

Hmmmmm......

Looks like some nice fps jumps to me....

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 02:52:44 pm »

I would never go for the X80. The performance/$ goes up gradually to the X70 and then skyrockets in price to the X80 every generation.  Not a smart buy.  The X70 card is usually the best buy for your money.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P