Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Arma online  (Read 25618 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Arma online
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 12:52:59 pm »

I would be alright with a real money for land and equipment setup on one condition. That land and equipment can be stolen and held by other players. Then you can have an insurance for real monies setup where you could be reimbursed in-game. Then you could have real money mercenaries for hire to get back your land and equipment.

Until everyone is real life broke.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Deejayseesee

Arma online
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 07:01:46 am »

When the addition of a second currency is introduced, you are destined for an unfair world. You have paid for the game, maybe for a monthly subscription because you admire the game enough; but when you have to pay more just to get stuff done within the game, something isn't right. Just imagine the less well-off gamers wanting to play a game they have saved up for, then they get they're ass kicked by some spoilt teenager who gets money handed to him on a gold-plated tray... There should be and in-game currency and an in-game currency only... you earn what you put in... don't just buy your way to success.

AKNightHawk

• http://www.moddb.com/games/assault-knights-reign-of-steel
Arma online
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 07:05:15 am »

Well I am not sure if being able to actually steal land and stuff should really be put in.. I mean yeah it sounds kewl and all but the problem with that is you would have to be on guard 24 7. And doing that you would basically be unable to leave your piece of land. Now personally if there was a option to enable that setup and say turn it on and off every 24 hours and have a warning telling the player if they do this there piece of property could very well be stolen. Then that might be a viable option. But you have to remember getting your stuff stolen or taken over by people after you worked your butt off creating you stuff on your land is not fun. And having real life money involved will cause alot of people to be mad.

Though yes if you ask for it. That person gets what is coming to him or her. Have to remember too there will be players whom cheat. And yes it can happen even on a system like this. And other mmo games to boot.

When there is real money involved the developers will have to take every precaution to make sure people is not swindled out of there land or the time and resources they put in playing this game.  But yeah being able to actually buy and sell land would be good and actually benefit the developer of this engine very good.. Or whom ever licenses it from them.In the future.
Assault Knights:Reign of Steel
Donate to the Assault Knights project
I always think everything is better with mechs.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Arma online
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 01:08:50 pm »

I think what needs to separate Outerra from every other engine would not be just the scale of activities in-game but the pace. In arma/2 the entire map with 15 towns can be taken over in 4-8 hours. I'd hope in outerra making military actions against an enemy held town would see more caution and planning. A persistent world with a persistent fighting force (Your personal ai army) per-player that when damaged/wiped out would cause a week or two in real life to rebuild should be a good enough deterrent to the standard "run and gun" tactics. Being able to take over any of your AI in any position at any time would mean your never just the commander nice and safe in your armored truck miles from the action. You could be the reconnaissance pilot in the spy plane surveying the land or the soldier creeping through the trees before an ambush or the tank commander tirelessly calling positions of the enemy to nearby units.

Best part of all this is during multi-player engagements your friends can join the cause and switch up with any of your men as well. Possibly keeping the battle going under human control for the time you sleep/eat/work. However since we are looking at days for this sort of takeover the AI are going to have to control themselves in the mean-time. But fear not, FOR IT IS THE FUTURE. And I am sure a plug-in will be available to allow you to get updates and send commands on your smart phone or corporate web browsers. Which is much less a waste of time then checking your facebook status and watching youtube video's of tickled penguins.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Arma online
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 01:21:19 pm »

Ha!  An iPad app to monitor your progression and activities would be rather cool.  If there's some sort of HTML page that can track incidences, AI progression, maybe even a "homebase active radar" using Google Maps, then it would be rather easy to browse to the page and track everything periodically throughout the day.

Even an email alert that would be sent out of unknown or enemy forces close within certain distances.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Abc94

Arma online
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 05:01:53 pm »

I truely don't like the idea of using real money to buy things in a game, especially when it gives the player an extra feature or an advantage over players that do not pay.  Systems like this ruin games.   :mad:

Quote from: ZeosPantera
A persistent world with a persistent fighting force (Your personal ai army) per-player

I like the idea of players controlling a hand full of units and being able to take direct control of them at any time.  I think it's the way to go for any civilization/warfare MMO that uses such a ridiculously huge area!
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Arma online
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 02:07:32 am »

What about a free-to-play model with optional subscription that would open certain things, like the ability to own land and build stuff there?

Free to play part is rather important for the game to spread out and gain the mass, and the optional but fixed subscription will guarantee some fairness over a system where you could spend anything to boost your army.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Arma online
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 02:46:53 am »

Free to play is a must. My thoughts on what you could "buy" with real money would be the obvious vehicle mods and or to gain access to lands sort of like buying a passport.

Want trains? buy them, want planes? buy them, want cars? Buy them. Want to move to Venezuela? Pay!

Now how cool would it be if someone didn't pay to go to Venezuela and instead of blocking them physically it simply alerted the AI forces to find and deport the trespasser.

Grind and Click

Arma online
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 05:57:29 am »

Yeah and you wouldnt need to overdo the AI side of things. Perhaps for a few basic base defense roles, if you wanted to task your players with other things to do with your operation meantime.
Pages: 1 2 [3]