Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: New unofficial Outerra forum opened at AVSIM  (Read 6748 times)

HiFlyer

New unofficial Outerra forum opened at AVSIM
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:22:47 pm »

After years of Outerra being kind of a black sheep, with many thinking it would never even approach "Sim" status, the long running (and at this point HUGE) thread at AVSIM has been converted to an unofficial forum.

Gratz Outerra! And thank-you Tom Allensworth.

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/715-unofficial-outerra-support-forum/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:27:43 am by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

baber

Re: New unofficial Outerra forum opened at AVSIM
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 09:56:56 pm »

That is indeed a big step forward for all of us. Nice to see that Outerra is finally getting the attention it deserves.

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:18:29 pm »

That is indeed a big step forward for all of us. Nice to see that Outerra is finally getting the attention it deserves.

The Aviation segment has shown its interest loud and clear, but I have asked before and still wonder: Where are the train guys? Is it that there is little to show in Outerra along those lines yet, or is there only moderate interest? Where are the Racing guys and the FPS guys and the MMORPG guys and the.........

I think Outerra has a great future as a Flight sim if the developers want that, but Outerra could be so much more as well......

Boats have progressed very little as well, and somebody was just asking about subs.....
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

baber

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 11:45:21 pm »

Indeed. Outerra in its current unfinished state outclasses all other flight sims in terms of visuals by MILES. Yes, that is a bold statement that I am not afraid to make. Outerra has proved itself worthy of being a very capable flight sim. And the engine still is far from completion. Imagine this with clouds, ssao, lights...There are a couple of x-plane developers showing great interest in Outerra and it will only be a matter of time when more flock over here.

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 07:02:42 pm »

And I'm one of them.  If OT can approach X-Plane in terms of ease of aircraft creation and integration with user written plugins, then it would be a terrific smash.  The environment feels so much more real than any flight sim I've seen before.  The problem is one of progress, which is unfortunately a bit too slow for some folks.  By the time OT becomes a fully viable flight sim option for the virtual flying masses, we might be talking about X-Plane 11 or 12.  ;)

SilentEagle

• Sim Developer
    • Simulation Developer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 07:34:29 am »

The Aviation segment has shown its interest loud and clear, but I have asked before and still wonder: Where are the train guys? Is it that there is little to show in Outerra along those lines yet, or is there only moderate interest? Where are the Racing guys and the FPS guys and the MMORPG guys and the.........

I think Outerra has a great future as a Flight sim if the developers want that, but Outerra could be so much more as well......

Boats have progressed very little as well, and somebody was just asking about subs.....

While train and boat sims may not have the popularity of flight sims, I would guess the reason that racing and FPS gamers/devs aren't as interested is that those platforms always have a new game/engine available that look, sound, and perform great.  Flight sims aren't exactly dying off, but there has been no significant innovation in about a decade, due to the high costs and low returns.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 10:12:38 am »

While train and boat sims may not have the popularity of flight sims, I would guess the reason that racing and FPS gamers/devs aren't as interested is that those platforms always have a new game/engine available that look, sound, and perform great.  Flight sims aren't exactly dying off, but there has been no significant innovation in about a decade, due to the high costs and low returns.

... simulators will hit back one day. Im sure of it. My view is, when different interacting types of sims will be combined in one in an deep simulation level, it will get the attention again. If some enthusiasts in tanks and AA systems would be involved in refurbishing the DCS CombinedArms into that, it may be that thing. Doe, im hoping in OT for this thought getting to life.  ( at least in modded version when not commercial  ::) )
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:06:53 am »

Well Cameni made a statement there yesterday, and we'll see what happens from there. Of course, now that the subject is in a sub-forum, its a LOT less visible except for those specifically searching for it now.

Have to give it a few days to stew.  ;D

SilentEagle

• Sim Developer
    • Simulation Developer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 11:06:20 am »

Well Cameni made a statement there yesterday, and we'll see what happens from there. Of course, now that the subject is in a sub-forum, its a LOT less visible except for those specifically searching for it now.

Well generating flight sim community support is one thing, but a ready to use engine for devs is the only thing that will move us toward the ultimate goal.  That forum will be useful for a larger sample pool of ideas from flight simmers.  However, expectations are usually very high with simmers, so it must all be taken with a grain of salt.  There is no reason greatness cannot be achieved with this engine, but it cannot be done overnight.

HiFlyer

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 11:20:19 am »

Well generating flight sim community support is one thing, but a ready to use engine for devs is the only thing that will move us toward the ultimate goal.  That forum will be useful for a larger sample pool of ideas from flight simmers.  However, expectations are usually very high with simmers, so it must all be taken with a grain of salt.  There is no reason greatness cannot be achieved with this engine, but it cannot be done overnight.

I think most realistic simmers (which are not necessarily the most constant posters) are aware of the practicalities; after all, we've waited patiently (mostly) for several years-long projects, P3D being the latest that comes to mind, and people were more than ready to wait the required time if Aerosoft had ever proceeded with its plans. Even the wait for DCS edge was taken well.

What takes a lot of the sting from long waits like that, is knowing that things are moving forward, even if slowly (X-plane) and that developers don't leave people in the dark for huge periods of time. Silver Dragon, for instance, did a great job for DCS in keeping the community up to speed.

What I suspect Cameni is hoping for with that post is generating some momentum, larger awareness (and eventually money!) if a kick-starter ever becomes a reality.

Meanwhile those of us who aren't developers and don't know whats impossible will keep on pushing at the envelope.  ;D