Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Oculus Rift  (Read 173409 times)

Krutan

• King Crab
Re: Oculus Rift
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 05:14:32 am »

I had the same problem, but after lowering the terrain quality the judder reduced significantly. It's not like it matters with the low resolution you get with the Rift. Make sure that Vsync is on as well. I think the game activates it by itself, but it's worth checking out :)

I'm using a GTX 680 which runs the game without any problems when not using the Rift. Don't know if it's a problem that's caused by the game, gfx driver or the Oculus driver, or all of them. The Oculus team said something about an upcoming judder fix in july, but I don't think it's been released yet. Maybe in 0.4.3?

huizhocka

• VR cruisin'
    • sculptures & more
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 08:50:23 pm »

Disabling Aero did the Trick for me, no more judder..absolutely beautiful !!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 09:37:39 am »

What I can't bear is when the ground turns into a inclined plane when moving at ground level.
When my head is straight but the ground I see is sloping (where there is no slope at all) mostly sideways, it feels very disturbing.

I am not sure it was understandable what I tried to say, so here are two screens to illustrate my point.
The house and the horizon tilts by only moving the mouse back and forth. No head movement was applied, just sitting straight. This is in normal mode. Is this normal? :D
I'm now thoroughly confused. I tested the normal mode and flight mode both, and mouse movement forth and back (along mouse y-axis) does not produce any tilt, only the pitch. Moving the mouse sideways either turns the camera (in ufo mode), or rolls it in the flight mode. I understood that you are using the ufo mode (where you have to press w-key to move forward), but that one doesn't tilt ???

2eyed

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 05:13:51 pm »

What I can't bear is when the ground turns into a inclined plane when moving at ground level.
When my head is straight but the ground I see is sloping (where there is no slope at all) mostly sideways, it feels very disturbing.

I am not sure it was understandable what I tried to say, so here are two screens to illustrate my point.
The house and the horizon tilts by only moving the mouse back and forth. No head movement was applied, just sitting straight. This is in normal mode. Is this normal? :D
I'm now thoroughly confused. I tested the normal mode and flight mode both, and mouse movement forth and back (along mouse y-axis) does not produce any tilt, only the pitch. Moving the mouse sideways either turns the camera (in ufo mode), or rolls it in the flight mode. I understood that you are using the ufo mode (where you have to press w-key to move forward), but that one doesn't tilt ???
Tested again and got the same results with world tilting by mouse movement right after startup in normal mode. I tried deleting IOmap.cfg, unplugged the xbox controller and had no sucess. My rift is working correct in all other applications. Normal monitor view is always fine. This thing leaves me stumped and is absolutely sickening. Do you have any advice, what I could do? I dont know why you're not able to reproduce this behaviour.

arashiii

• explorer
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 03:38:23 am »

I could reproduce this behaviour in normal mode. While starting in the air, movement is as it should be. Once I touched the ground (using 'F'-key) ,moving around the mouse and looking into another direction at the same time resulted in a tilt of the view.
It's the same effect as sitting in the plane, looking outside the leftside window and then pushing the stick forward (nose down).

Somehow "forward" is no longer defined by the oculus looking direction. It's only set by mouseX.
Hope, this helped somehow.
Win 8.1 64Bit , i7-2600 3.4GHz , 32GB , SSD 512 , GTX780ti , NEC PA301W + DK2

2eyed

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 09:43:03 am »

Doing further investigations, I found that the "mouse tilt behaviour" can easily evoked by only turning around or moving view with the mouse in circles a few times. No head movement nor forward moving required.
But it does not happen all the time. It's occur seem to be occassionally and unpredictable. More often and more pronounced at or near ground level.
I tried also deleting "eng.cfg" to no avail.
It just feels a bit like being on the high seas with those tilting horizons.
It never happens in vehicles and in 3rd person view while panning (where going up and down with the mouse is disabled).
With "rift orientation" key it can be cured sometimes but only temporarily.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:49:04 am by 2eyed »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 11:13:30 am »

At what height above sea level are you? Can you check if it's still a problem when you are close to the sea level?

2eyed

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 02:24:46 pm »

At what height above sea level are you? Can you check if it's still a problem when you are close to the sea level?
At or close to the sea level the same tilting occurs.
But I may have to correct me: it seems that head movement is indeed involved with generating the tilt. Ist not so easy to not involuntarily move the head, thats why my former assumption could be wrong. This would explain the temporary cure with rift orientation key press too.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 02:48:04 pm »

I actually found some tilting in ufo mode, with the help of the HUD horizon line. Keeping the head level in the center, it would slightly tilt just by looking up or down with the mouse, and the tilts are opposite in up/down views. As far as I can see, this tilt is produced by the auto-roll control, which keeps the roll aligned with the gravity vector when you are close to the planet's surface. It does some unexpected things when the pitch is high. This thing has been there for a long time though. I'll try to fix it, but this tilt is certainly not that severe as on your screenshot.

Romanito

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 09:14:56 am »

Hi,

Thanks for DK2 support, this makes Outerra the best flight simulation experience I've had so far in VR. :)

One small issue though: I'm having a hard time with the way the Pause menu is handled at the moment. When paused, headtracking works with the menus and windows but not with the game environment. This is nausea-inducing, would it be possible to enable headtracking for both?

Thanks!

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 06:05:58 pm »

Just a quick question about Oculus DK2 resolution.
It seams like the resolution drops a lot when switching to Oculus (don't mean the actual resolution inside Oculus), but it looks like Anti-Aliasing is switching off and all distant objects get aliased.

Perhaps Outerra runs on DK1 resolution (1280×800)?
VFx Artist/Supervisor, Private Pilot - www.sk-films.com

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2014, 03:02:43 am »

Not unless you ask it to override graphics settings.

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2014, 01:04:02 pm »

Could you please look (compare) this screenshot?

Distant objects (or detailed objects) are very aliased, comparing to normal desktop mode.
Just in case the screenshot is taken from FullHD monitor while riftmode was in DirectHDM - so game is running on monitor.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2014, 03:52:23 pm »

Only FXAA antialiasing is supported in stereo mode, but it's not working entirely right. If you have MSAA selected, it will be ignored.

What you see is a problem of distortion applied in Rift mode, when the central part ends up scaled up, making the aliased pixels even larger. To avoid that you'd have to run in a higher resolution than 1920x1080, so that the central part under distortion stays 1:1; however that's not yet supported.

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2014, 08:37:41 pm »

Thank you very much Cameni,

Will try FXAA, and leave feedback shortly.

However would be nice if Oculus mode could highlight supported settings.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15