Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Oculus Rift  (Read 173356 times)

davythedave

Re: Oculus Rift
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2017, 10:13:37 am »

Yes!!! I'm so pleased to hear that. VR hasn't been the same for me without Outerra  :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #181 on: January 24, 2017, 10:32:23 am »

Btw any ideas for the control scheme that would best fit OT? I mean with regards to the local room scale motion vs the global travel.

davythedave

« Reply #182 on: January 24, 2017, 11:15:38 am »

I'll have a think about that and get back to you if I can think of anything specific, I'd be happy just standing with a simple teleport mechanism. Have you experienced google earth VR? I'll need to try it again but I wonder if there is anything in there worth copying.
I've got to say though what I'm most looking forward to is the aircraft. I spent so much time flying around the Himalayas, it never got old and no flight sim I have tried since has even come close to OT in terms of visuals.

2eyed

« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2017, 12:12:12 pm »

I would like to see classic (artificial) locomotion with stick (forward - backward and turning) which is currently not possible. Atm the mouse is used to turn left and right. This is bad not only because you can not handle mouse and controller simultaneously but because any "vertical" mouse movement tilts the horizon. Any artificial (not head movement related) tilting of horizon must be avoided in VR. This is true for first person and third person views equally. Radial panning isn't feasible therefore.
Teleport I don't like so much. It's an immersion killer.
The movement in vehicles cockpit views (cars, planes, etc) isn't problematic as it is.

Teleporting in google earth vr style would be okay, if loading times of new locations weren't a couple of minutes (unless the whole data is stored locally).

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:21:54 pm by 2eyed »

davythedave

« Reply #184 on: January 24, 2017, 01:15:27 pm »

Teleporting in google earth vr style would be okay, if loading times of new locations weren't a couple of minutes (unless the whole data is stored locally).
:-[ Forgot about that, although I was more imagining teleporting around the Grand Canyon for example.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2017, 05:38:42 am »

This is bad not only because you can not handle mouse and controller simultaneously but because any "vertical" mouse movement tilts the horizon. Any artificial (not head movement related) tilting of horizon must be avoided in VR. This is true for first person and third person views equally. Radial panning isn't feasible therefore.

How (when) would you transition to space without a horizon?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2017, 06:01:44 am »

Hm, maybe that's an artificial thing because of the superman ufo mode. If you were a superman you probably wouldn't feel dizzy :)

You do not want any tilting with regards to the reference system, be it a cockpit or earth horizon.

2eyed

« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2017, 10:08:37 am »

Quote from: cameni link=topic=2912.msg42672#msg42672 date=148534210

You do not want any tilting with regards to the reference system, be it a cockpit or earth horizon.
[/quote

I think this is it what I'm trying to say!
When I move in "Normal Mode" (ufo), I can go up and down with "vertical" mouse movement (pull and push to or from me). This results in tilting the view and affecting the vertical viewing angle and therefore gives a tilted horizon. This evokes immediate nausea to me, although I am not prone to it.
The same is with panning around an object, let's say a plane in the sky. Pure horizontal moving around the viewing angle isn't a problem but if the cam is placed above or below the plane, the viewing angle should only be aligned by head movement and not by tilting the cam.

dbb

« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2017, 10:15:15 am »

Have you experienced google earth VR? I'll need to try it again but I wonder if there is anything in there worth copying.

For reference:

bongodriver

« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2017, 04:37:52 pm »

is the mouse cursor disappearing when using the menu a known issue?

2eyed

« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2017, 07:00:39 am »

This is an old one and never got fixed. At some time, OT was at the forefront of VR and is now trailing behind, unfortunately.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2017, 03:18:30 pm »

Yeah we aren't doing anything with VR until new pipeline clicks into place, as it would be mostly a waste of time. Then we should get Vive support and fix/rework the VR system, and revert some bad choices ...

Jerry

« Reply #192 on: July 13, 2017, 03:26:25 pm »

Hey guys

First I want to say  I know how much work needs to be done prior to every update and I do appreciate your hard work very much.
However as one of the "backers" of this amazing concept I feel slightly frustrated about the progress. The reason behind that is simply because since I bought my first Oculus DK followed by CV1 I never actually got back to "flat screen" gaming.  For a simulation enthusiast like me, Outerra was number one choice of VR experiences for really long time.
I was checking the forum every day and lot of good things was happening back then.. Flying beautiful Alaska scenery in VR was my daily treat.
Well  I did't go back for very very long time by now because somehow VR support is broken, forum is half dead and your statement "we aren't doing anything with VR" is not really giving us much of an expectations..
It's not very clear to me as where the development is heading at the moment and honestly I would love to be able to experience Outerra in VR again.
I do understand that until you have your "pipeline" sorted it would be probably waste of time but could you give us at least simplified, somehow working VR support for the time being please..?  I think a lot of people discovered Outerra just because of the initial VR support as this project was one of handful VR experiences couple of years ago but also many of them will loose faith if nothing's happening, don't you think?

Thanks  Jerry
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:35:25 pm by Jerry »

2eyed

« Reply #193 on: July 13, 2017, 04:22:39 pm »

I agree with that. Unfortunately, the terrain engine in it's current state is too slow or not able to update the terrain tiles accordingly in VR, giving blurry or half loaded landscapes. I can say, OT  does work "somehow" in VR but it's not satisfying at all.

Jerry

« Reply #194 on: July 13, 2017, 05:57:51 pm »

Well is there at least an option to get one of the older "VR friendly" versions?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15