Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Oculus Rift  (Read 172437 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Oculus Rift
« on: September 17, 2014, 03:34:47 am »

Instructions/help with Oculus Rift support:

In normal circumstances, Rift is detected automatically and HMD mode is entered right upon the start. In case of problems, please follow this checklist:

• Make sure you have Oculus Rift runtime version 0.4.2+ installed. Older runtimes are not detected by Oculus SDK.
  • Set Rift display mode to extended, and don't forget to rotate the display in Windows Display/Screen resolution control panel
  • Check if your Rift was detected - it is shown in the graphics menu under the stereoscopic tab.
  • "Automatic Oculus Rift mode" in the stereoscopic tab must be checked
  • Turn off Windows scaling - it may cause problems initializing Outerra on the right display

If all fails, please provide your eng.log so we can inspect what displays and resolutions were detected.

2eyed

Re: Oculus Rift
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 11:27:03 am »

"Re-enabled mouse control in ufo flight mode with hmd", quote from release note version 0.8.3.4870.
The way it's re-enabled unfortunately gives me almost immediate nausea.
You can now not only move around and up and down with the mouse movement but also tilt (unintentional roll) the view which is a no go in Vr. So the floor is no more levelled and you feel like drunk.
The discribed behaviour applies for the normal ufo mode. Could you please fix that, it's really bad.
The flight mode (which I like very much in normal stereo mode) is also quite uneasy with automatic movement and auto roll. Not recommended for rift mode.
Panning around (in 3rd person view) to see a vehicle or aircraft from above and below is still not possible. It's stuck to the x-plane.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:30:55 am by 2eyed »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:53:40 am »

I guess there are too many tastes out there, and it will have to be configurable more extensively. Probably going to throw a bunch of checkboxes there.

For example, why pitching with mouse is ok but tilting (as if you were sat on a flying platform that tilts on turn) is not? I originally blocked both because both are something that is outside of your own willful head movement, and pitching induces nausea as well. In a short while I got used to it, then to the tilting as well.

I guess the problem is in the middle grounds - people who can't stand any externally induced motion simply won't touch the mouse, but the intermediate step to being able to handle a tilting horizon is pitch + optional levelled turn?
If it should not tilt, should it turn while keeping the level? Or completely ignored?

I'm still not sure, so let's fill a table, flight mode or UFO mode in VR (and optionally normal mode, not sure if there's any difference between stereo/mono mode):

vertical mouse → [pitch/climb/-]
  horizontal mouse → [turn/tilt/strafe/-]
  automatic movement [  ]

huizhocka

• VR cruisin'
    • sculptures & more
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 12:52:12 pm »

I was wondering ,if anybody else experiences some judder when moving/looking with the DK2. I have a gtx 780 ti, and actually thought might be performance, but when i turned all the new settings off, like AO, AA incl. all shadows, i still get the same effect. - Is low persistence turned on automatically on startup with  the DK2 ?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:28:40 pm »

Low persistence is on when the display refresh is 75 fps. When you open the menu, fps is shown in the lower right corner, do you have 75 there?

2eyed

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 01:32:21 pm »

Cameni, it is hard for me to discribe the nausea inducing effect in proper english, I wish you could understand my german.
I'm fine with moving forward and turning left or right with the mouse or tilting up and down with the mouse.
What I can't bear is when the ground turns into a inclined plane when moving at ground level.
When my head is straight but the ground I see is sloping (where there is no slope at all) mostly sideways, it feels very disturbing.
It was not there in previous version and resetting the rift orientation seems not to fix it.
Why it occurs is beyond me. In monitor stereo mode it is ok.

huizhocka

• VR cruisin'
    • sculptures & more
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 10:51:20 pm »

I have a constant 75 FPS showing on the menu screen, even turned shadows/AA and AO on, which shouldn't be a problem for 780ti. The judder still appears when moving the view/headset to look around. :o - Any suggestions ? 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:59:48 pm by huizhocka »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 01:33:37 am »

From what I've read, there are many possible causes. Does it make any difference if you make Rift primary monitor, or the sole monitor?
Do you have power connected to the rift camera? Some reports say the judder stops when camera is off or shielded, that it's a problem with positional prediction in Oculus SDK.

2eyed

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 12:32:04 pm »

What I can't bear is when the ground turns into a inclined plane when moving at ground level.
When my head is straight but the ground I see is sloping (where there is no slope at all) mostly sideways, it feels very disturbing.

I am not sure it was understandable what I tried to say, so here are two screens to illustrate my point.
The house and the horizon tilts by only moving the mouse back and forth. No head movement was applied, just sitting straight. This is in normal mode. Is this normal? :D

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 01:40:40 pm »

No that's not. You are saying it's the normal mode? Flight mode is ok?

huizhocka

• VR cruisin'
    • sculptures & more
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 02:11:51 pm »

Cameni, I tried the two options that you suggested, setting the rift to primary, which dropped the frame rate to 35. Unplugged the IR- camera and that had no effect. I also tried Anteworld and DK2 on a different computer with totally different setup ( AMD radeon 7900 ) which is not even able to push it to the required 75 FPS, more like 45 fps, but the judder is the same as i am experiencing on my computer. For now i'm settling not move my head too fast with the HMD. Maybe "direct to Rift" will help ?  I'm surprised that no one else has posted this issue. ::)
I really enjoy flying and just hanging out in Anteworld, you guys did such an awesome job with the atmospheric effects and procedural Landscape !!!!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 02:45:59 pm »

I saw somebody having that problem, but resolved it by setting the Rift as primary. Most people do not seem to have that problem, even on slower cards. But Oculus SDK is still an early beta, so there may be combinations of hw/drivers that are more problematic than others. Other things I saw people doing to eliminate problems were - disabling Aero and Windows scaling, and using older Nvidia drivers.

huizhocka

• VR cruisin'
    • sculptures & more
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 03:00:06 pm »

Cool ! Thanks a lot  - i will try this as well !

2eyed

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 03:45:34 pm »

No that's not. You are saying it's the normal mode? Flight mode is ok?
For flight mode it's a bit hard to determine, because there is always banking involved when moving with the mouse. But I think, I can notice it too.

arashiii

• explorer
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 04:24:08 pm »

I am experiencing the same juddering effect as huizhocka does. My graphics card is the same 780ti. Newest drivers. Oculus is the primary display. Changing quality didn't help. The juddering is only noticable when moving the head. When simply watching straight out of the cockpit, the landscape passes by quite smoothly. So it seems to be some timing problem with the tracking.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:27:26 am by arashiii »
Win 8.1 64Bit , i7-2600 3.4GHz , 32GB , SSD 512 , GTX780ti , NEC PA301W + DK2
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15