Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Implementation of climatic and/or vegetation zones, geology  (Read 2914 times)

Andy81le

Implementation of climatic and/or vegetation zones, geology
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:27:08 pm »

Hello there,

I am wondering how you guys are going to tackle the zonation of Earth into different climate and vegetation zones? I know that right now you are using colors. Is there some more serious implementation planned such as e.g. using Biogeographic region classifications that are available for Europe? Also, geological maps for the base color of the terrain?

Cheers,
Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Implementation of climatic and/or vegetation zones, geology
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 02:00:03 am »

It's not using just colors, but also a vegetation index, that basically tells the ratio between vegetation and bare ground. We also have prepared another dataset that contains vegetation types (basically a color map of 10+ main climate/vegetation types), that needs to be compiled into a suitable OT format and used to determine vegetation types and probabilities.

Also, this is related: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=1430.msg30945#msg30945

Andy81le

Re: Implementation of climatic and/or vegetation zones, geology
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 05:47:30 am »

Thanks for the info. For the rock map you asked for in the other thread: there is www.onegeology.org, whic basically is a compilation of geological maps from the whole world and might be suitable for your needs.

Cheers,
Andy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk