Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: NASA just released a 30m SRTM  (Read 26494 times)

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
NASA just released a 30m SRTM
« on: September 23, 2014, 02:33:11 pm »

Hm... NASA just released a 30m SRTM to the public. Can this be used, or will it be huge in size?
http://www.nasa.gov/content/us-releases-shuttle-land-elevation-data-to-aid-global-climate-resilience/#.VCG2gfl_vgw
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

HiFlyer

Re: NASA just released a 30m SRTM
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 02:43:46 pm »

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 02:48:53 pm »

From 2000.  90m  Isn't that about the resolution we have in Outerra now?....
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

thx_nb

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 03:17:56 pm »

Yes, think so. As this new dataset is 30m, it would mean a serious improvement in accuracy!

John514

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 03:56:59 pm »

From NASA`s website:
 SRTM V2 released

NASA has released version 2 of the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission digital topographic data (also known as the "finished" version). Version 2 is the result of a substantial editing effort by the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency and exhibits well-defined water bodies and coastlines and the absence of spikes and wells (single pixel errors), although some areas of missing data ('voids') are still present. The Version 2 directory also contains the vector coastline mask derived by NGA during the editing, called the SRTM Water Body Data (SWBD), in ESRI Shapefile format.

The data may be obtained through this URL: http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/ and go to the directory where both version 1 and version 2 directories may be found. Please read the appropriate documentation, also found in the directories.

HiFlyer

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 04:04:41 pm »

I think one of the biggest improvements would be in refined coastlines as well.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 04:12:55 pm »

Oh... I only skimmed it and saw 90m on that page...

I'm always up for higher a higher rez as long as it doesn't have too many spikes all over the place (which was said to be smoothed out).  But... with higher resolutions, don't buildings and trees become more of a problem?

Also, if the implementation of a higher resolution would automatically adjust already placed objects and roads, that would be great (but of course not perfect).  Or allow a feature for "aligning objects and roads to terrain" in mass, for the users to easily fix what they want.

But... I don't think Cameni is up for implementing a higher resolution for the whole planet (again?).  We've been at 90m for a long time.  I'm guessing it might stay there.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

John514

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 04:37:38 pm »

90 is fine by me. Buildings and trees should not be a problem. NASA know what its doing! (I hope! :P)
Road data is not in the SRTM, thats just elevation. OSM integration should take care of any land-transport network + buildings.

thx_nb

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 04:48:43 pm »

From that page:
Lower resolution SRTM topographic data having 90-meter (295-feet) pixels were released publicly in 2003 for many parts of the world, providing a global standard for many applications. The new data increase the detail to 30-meter (98-foot) pixel spacing, now revealing the full resolution of the world’s landforms as originally measured by SRTM.

I think it would be really nice to have more detailed coastlines, height definition with rivers, mountains and such. Of course there's lots of terrain where increased resolution is less interesting (oceans?). I think it has been mentioned earlier on the forums that the challenge is to merge the datasets and get them to transition nicely.

I'd rather get multiple light sources, clouds and such things first, but it's nice to know that somewhere in the future this dataset can be used to improve the accuracy of the world..

Jagerbomber

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 05:07:11 pm »

Road data is not in the SRTM, thats just elevation. OSM integration should take care of any land-transport network + buildings.

I was talking about our objects and roads.  :P

If the terrain gets updated, there's a chance things could get buried.  It's happened before.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 03:23:53 am »

Global 30m data aren't available yet, they will be released over the next 12 months. I expect also a new release of the Aster dataset, which can supposedly reach higher quality since it processes many more ongoing satellite runs and gets refined over time (V1 was unusable though).

I would expect that a 30m dataset (resampled to ~38m) will be at least 3 or 4 times larger than the current 90m one (~76m). Impractical for a tech demo, but it will surely find its way into OT simulators.

HiFlyer

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 03:47:43 am »

Global 30m data aren't available yet, they will be released over the next 12 months. I expect also a new release of the Aster dataset, which can supposedly reach higher quality since it processes many more ongoing satellite runs and gets refined over time (V1 was unusable though).

I would expect that a 30m dataset (resampled to ~38m) will be at least 3 or 4 times larger than the current 90m one (~76m). Impractical for a tech demo, but it will surely find its way into OT simulators.

Or you could just put it on a torrent. I hate torrents, but I got a downloader or whatever its called just to get the full terrain set easily, and I've been hosting it ever since.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 12:19:10 pm »

Impractical for a tech demo, but it will surely find its way into OT simulators.

So... You're talking for use for people's custom needs and not for even the in-game progressive download even in the full version?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 12:29:04 pm »

Full version of what? A game (or the tech demo) doesn't necessarily need a 30m dataset. I'm saying that the quality (and size) of the dataset can be chosen depending on what's the target application.

Speaking of OT tech demo/Anteworld - as you wrote, there will be differences in heights. A 30m dataset could be made downloadable as a separate planet though, to not mix it.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 12:42:49 pm »

Yeah, I kind of meant the full version of Anteworld (I think) or full version of OT (as in non-tech demo).

You mean they (the datasets) can't possibly even be blended?  90m worked to smoothly attach to 30m at the edges?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:48:24 pm by Jagerbomber »
Pages: [1] 2 3