Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: NASA just released a 30m SRTM  (Read 26498 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: NASA just released a 30m SRTM
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 12:47:03 pm »

30m dataset is a global one too, it would supersede the old. Changed source terrain will also alter the fractal generator, there may be boulders elsewhere etc. Buildings and roads are currently positioned globally, so they would have to be snapped back to the new terrain, + manual adjustments.

HiFlyer

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 02:00:19 pm »

30m dataset is a global one too, it would supersede the old. Changed source terrain will also alter the fractal generator, there may be boulders elsewhere etc. Buildings and roads are currently positioned globally, so they would have to be snapped back to the new terrain, + manual adjustments.

Hmmmmmm..... Even so, it might be something to think of, to do it now and get it over with early, rather than be semi-locked into the 90m.

Maybe at the same time as you finally go 64bit?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:39:32 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 02:53:06 pm »

No need to force a 50GB dataset to everyone who wants to test a tech demo. Even with progressive download, there's the increased bandwidth and the effect it has on the fluidity of the experience.
Games made on OT may use even coarser dataset.

For simulation platform we would almost certainly use the 30m dataset as the default "planet".

Anyway, it's all moot until the 30m source data actually exist and are of sufficient quality.

HiFlyer

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 03:08:58 pm »

You would love the size of X-planes data. Its been boggling minds for years. Not to even mention the additional "HD" data!  ;D

I seriously got an additional Hard Drive just for X-plane and FSX.  :o
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:13:49 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Jagerbomber

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 03:42:33 pm »

For simulation platform we would almost certainly use the 30m dataset as the default "planet".

Anyway, it's all moot until the 30m source data actually exist and are of sufficient quality.

Ok.  Does that mean Anteworld?... or no?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 04:36:13 pm »

No need to force a 50GB dataset to everyone who wants to test a tech demo

Sounds like those guys just aren't committed enough!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

josem75

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 04:10:33 pm »

I am following outerra since years, and the improvements in the views are HUGE since the very begining.
Your big work and our big waiting time totally worth.

But for me the more important things your engine need now is a more accurate source in terms of terrain data and colour data.

Actually Outerra use 500 m pics for colors, this is great for the begining of the NON monotone world as before was, but still is a lack in the color richness the world should have.
In the same way, i see the 90 meter terrain resolution as a begining of your tech, but also still a lack in terms of terrrain accuracy.
Improving this in a (lets say) 100 m pic resolution and 30 m terrain data would mean anther BIG jump in how outerra looks.

Imaging this working together with your tools (probably improved in the future), fractal terrain detail, customizable trees system, biomes, roads, etc.. Practically, any user would be able to reproduce their real place in this virtual world with high detail and accuracy.
And more if we talk about the future tools, if you ad for example fractal modifications based in geo maps.

So i can see all the advantages, and would be big. Also you can think in the posibilitie of put the high definition version for the pay version and keep the old for free. This can also be the push some people would need for support the proyect.
Also for posible developers interested in buy the engine would be a very good thing see outerra being so accurate in world definition. Basically any developer interested in simulation would have all the base for begin. DOnt doubt the future simulators based in your amazing engine will have high resolution data (i remember myself playing fsx with certain places in 5 m terrain data and 1 m real texture back in 2005 and we are in 2014).

Its true as you said, anteworld actually is just a demo for show the tech. But i dont think this make a high resolution version pointless. It would be the oportunity to show all the tech potential to everybody, also the demos are for that.

And seeing also at the cons. Yes, more space, more time for download. Maybe add some server. But for me the advantages would be much more than the cons (they would look like a minor problem, because Basically, nothing would improve the outerra views more in just one step than that change). Because all is adaptable. We can just wait a bit more to download new places, we can create torrents dividing the world in continets for download too, some more server can be added, etc.

I think even if you are about to create rivers, lakes, and road system, would be better to do in a base of high res, so you will not need to rework it in the future. Because you are already working in the future. (lets say you decide not to improve datasets in 2015, in 2 years you will do and needing to rework all probably).

This is my humble point of view.
Keep the great work.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:30:42 pm by josem75 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2014, 08:52:14 am »

Vector data are modifying the surrounding terrain, so they should work with both 90m and 30m data. However, complete 30m data will be only available after September 2015, according to USGS.

josem75

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 02:54:00 pm »

Vector data are modifying the surrounding terrain, so they should work with both 90m and 30m data. However, complete 30m data will be only available after September 2015, according to USGS.

Ops. well, even better then. You will have always the choice of change terrain quality after all future vector data adds.
One year until 30m resolution is avaiable is a lot of time. Who knows the status of the engine by then. But i am sure the visual improve using 30m terrain and less meter picture quality would be huge.

By the way. Did you think in accept cripto currencies for buy outerra?
In the traders places i work i always chat about how great outerra is to everybody. If you accept bitcoin or litecoin as payment would be a nice publicity. I would try everybody there buy and support the engine buying it with the coins ))
Anyway i will still doing publicity there and everytime the market give me a break i say i will fly outerra.

Allan Davidson

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 03:58:35 pm »

15GB Outerra: Console Peasant
60GB Outerra: Glorious PC Master Race

HiFlyer

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 04:27:04 pm »

15GB Outerra: Console Peasant
60GB Outerra: Glorious PC Master Race

LOL

Allan Davidson

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 05:48:39 pm »

But seriously, I think 30m is a good measure to deal with. If people do not want to test a 60GB tech-demo, fine, they can just download the piece they want to test.

90m is good to demonstrate some altitude flying, but to demonstrate something ground-based, like a demo for projects like Tropico, Project Reality, Ruse, 30m is the way to go!

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 02:43:11 am »

Well, id like to see something like ProjectReality in OT ... just routine border control missions would be awesome whyte that view ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HiFlyer

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 04:50:18 pm »

:)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Outerra/comments/2x6zrj/newcomer_questions_hidef_terrain_insets_trees/

By the end of this year there should be a global 30m dataset available that should make the data much better. We expect it to be about 3-4 times larger than the current dataset, but well worth it. You can actually combine the datasets, like right now the data are combined from 90m land data and 1km ocean depth data.
3D trees are a necessity, but it's clear we need to optimize them to be able to render such vast amounts as needed for OT.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 05:36:16 pm »

A lot of stuff in that thread is really good (especially if 30m is officially coming to Outerra).

But also, after seeing the old amusing issues that new data caused with already placed objects and roads, the automatic adjustment of object/road alignment to terrain is really needed.

:))
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3