Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: NASA just released a 30m SRTM  (Read 26500 times)

josem75

Re: NASA just released a 30m SRTM
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 06:29:22 pm »

:)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Outerra/comments/2x6zrj/newcomer_questions_hidef_terrain_insets_trees/

By the end of this year there should be a global 30m dataset available that should make the data much better. We expect it to be about 3-4 times larger than the current dataset, but well worth it. You can actually combine the datasets, like right now the data are combined from 90m land data and 1km ocean depth data.
3D trees are a necessity, but it's clear we need to optimize them to be able to render such vast amounts as needed for OT.

Happy ending thread!
Cameni is amazing. He always see the right point even if at the begining see the obvious cons (they have the responsability to fight against those cons, its totally understable).

I have a humble idea. I NEVER had the all 14 GB dataset until the last week. I downloaded from Torrents.
So now i moved data to propper Outerra directory, and they are not avaiable for the people who want to download.
So, maybe would be posible to put an option to customize the data folder? So i can choose my download Torrent folder and all the data can be avaible again for the people.
Of course we have always the option to change it in torrent too.

I dont know if its even posible for the future, to use torrent for the small downloads the users need during playing. If we educate people to use the folders options correctly. I am sure people dont mind to share outerra files in torrent while play or have computer On. Or outerra can "make" own "torrent" system for share those files. Having always a second option with the actual servers. But at least the peer to peer system would absorb some huge demand between the own users internet power.

aWac9

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 06:36:38 pm »

30 m. will be another big jump.
take time dreaming about the different colors of the seasons. But the tones go together to vegetation and there's plenty to do.
February every year in China ,, Luoping is a small county in eastern Yunnan, China, located about 228 kilometers northeast of Kunming near the border of Yunnan Guizhou and Guangxi provinces. In early spring, when the yellow rapeseed flowers

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 04:18:33 am »

Looks like some places in southern Slovakia.  =D Those little hills are interesting. If there werent any people and structures, id say they're much bigger than that.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 11:12:57 am »

I have a humble idea. I NEVER had the all 14 GB dataset until the last week. I downloaded from Torrents.
So now i moved data to propper Outerra directory, and they are not avaiable for the people who want to download.
So, maybe would be posible to put an option to customize the data folder? So i can choose my download Torrent folder and all the data can be avaible again for the people.

I wanted to add an option to redirect terrain data to a different path, as we often have multiple instances and test versions that could share these data, but I didn't think it very usable for people. For torrents it would be usable, albeit there should be a bundled torrent installer that also sets everything up.

HiFlyer

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 01:03:56 pm »

I wanted to add an option to redirect terrain data to a different path, as we often have multiple instances and test versions that could share these data, but I didn't think it very usable for people. For torrents it would be usable, albeit there should be a bundled torrent installer that also sets everything up.

The Outerra mod site uses bit torrent sync, which I always thought might useful for Outerra in some way, some day.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Hooves

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 08:54:54 pm »

So has any progress been made on this front??

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2015, 02:23:07 pm »

We compiled the first version some time ago, from incomplete 30m coverage (missing northern Africa and parts of Asia) and our commercial partners already started using it. There are several things that need fixing, for example near our startup area in lower Himalayas there are some large holes in mountains, apparently because 30m data weren't corrected as the 90m ones.

Btw in case you missed it, here's an evaluation of 30m data in OT: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3309.0

HiFlyer

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 05:24:23 pm »

Bumped into these pictures showing 90m and 30m.

At 30m I see the outlines of a highway. Plus things get quite bumpy. I wonder how you clean this up!  =|

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:47:29 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 01:15:33 am »

We don't. Bumpiness is good (real), and highways will be overlaid anyway.

HiFlyer

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 08:46:29 am »

We don't. Bumpiness is good (real), and highways will be overlaid anyway.

Interesting.

I vaguely remember another post that mentioned the fractal refinement getting a bit "overexcited" with the higher resolution data, so that's what I was thinking of when asking the question.

I'm looking forward to seeing it all in action.
Pages: 1 2 [3]