Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Switzerland with sea level at 1'440 m !  (Read 4998 times)

leloupdujura

Switzerland with sea level at 1'440 m !
« on: October 04, 2014, 04:28:17 am »

Okay,so it is possible to change "sea_level" in Outerra's configuration, and here are some screenshots to prove it.  :D
So this is Switzerland, but sea level has been changed to 1440 meters above sea level (this last sentence has no meaning at all...   :o )

Look at what those Alps have become with sea level at 1440 m. So this is the Rhonefjord (Rhone Valley).
The long Y-shaped valley system at bottom center is the region of Zermatt / Matterhorn / Saas Fee etc.

Rhone Valley and Dents du Midi, at the bottom left of the previous photo.

And this is what can be seen from the Jungfraujoch, in Bernese Alps.
Compare with a (really zoomed in) photo on my Panoramio account: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/110957917

La Dôle, in the Jura Mountains. French Alps in the background. The city of Geneva is supposed to be a thousand meters drowned under the sea in between.

Le Chasseron, in the Jura Mountains. On this real photo it's the mountain at the top left corner: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/109753966

And last but not least... (ok this isn't Switzerland. That's MeDEM! But it looks like the region of Chamonix at Swiss/French border!  8) )

Thanks for watching.

bomber

Re: Switzerland with sea level at 1'440 m !
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 11:20:54 am »

This is what I meant by raising sea level 'locally'...

I understand this is a global sea level raise but the idea of a local sea level raise being defined could work...
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

CaptTrego

• Target 4 Today!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 11:23:41 am »

.... damn global warming!   ;)
"Will it ever fly...??"

<CaptTrego!>

thx_nb

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 07:23:01 pm »

Raising sea level only works for 'standing water', not for rivers or any flowing water.
Although it would certainly improve realism a lot and make the world more beautiful, it's by no means a full solution, IMO.

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 08:32:19 pm »

Raising sea level only works for 'standing water', not for rivers or any flowing water.
Although it would certainly improve realism a lot and make the world more beautiful, it's by no means a full solution, IMO.

I went and searched for the Location of New York City and when I found it, it was nearly unrecognizable due to the way the coastlines were depicted. Higher resolution/More accurate coastlines and waterways are probably one of the things on the "Must do" list for the "Water roads"

Outerra has come so far, but it also has so far to go, to realize what I think they are trying to accomplish....
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Planets

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 11:52:20 am »

Those are some great screens.

How did you alter the sea levels by the way. Is it a simple config.ini? It would be fun to play around with, can you also do the reverse and drain the seas all the way down to the Marianas Trench?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:54:42 am by Planets »

leloupdujura

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 10:09:14 am »

I'm not on a PC with Outerra right now and I don't remember the config file name, but yes, it's the main config file, where you can change the "sea_level" parameter from 0.0 (default value) to 1440.0 in my case. But you can change the parameter to -4000.0 to drain some parts of the oceans. I never tried draining all the way down, but I suppose it is at least -11000.0.

Planets

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 07:41:19 pm »

Cool thanks, good to know. I'm gonna experiment with that later.