Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: The "Arrowhead" rock  (Read 7820 times)

Acetone

• Youtube channel
The "Arrowhead" rock
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:51:37 pm »

The first time I found it, I thought it was funny.

The second one, I thought it was strange.

Now, I'm scared...

They are everywhere...

Help

More seriously, these things are huge and fairly visible once you have noticed them  ;D
It's the first time I notice a rock with a clear geometric shape  ::)

soulunite

• Obsessed with Outerra
Re: The "Arrowhead" rock
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:04:49 pm »

Hmm strange... Could these be easter eggs put in place by the Hero Members? Maybe if we shoot lasers into it we could find hidden treasures such as Clouds! Very strange though, I've never seen them before (although I haven't been looking)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:51:24 pm »

id say it would be some core terrain data imprint ... ya know, satelites want to draw pictures too ... whyte lasers. :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 01:45:27 am »

id say it would be some core terrain data imprint ... ya know, satelites want to draw pictures too ... with lasers. :D
Maybe it's a stylized heart, like "we love you silly meat creatures"  ;D

Or lumpmens  :-\

I don't think they are a part of the dataset, but a part of the procedurally generated rocks. Looking at this thread, Cameni say clearly in it that the rocks are not completly random, both in shape and in repartition. I bet there is a set of pre-defined rocks shapes, and one of these give this result.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 06:22:49 am »

Current rocks have several issues, the repeating shapes are result of how they are created during procedural refinement. An indirect consequence of it is also the excessive rock "popping" with camera movement, or that rock tops are always covered with grass (except for very small ones). All of these things will be addressed by moving the rock generating algorithm into a separate pass, that will give us more maneuvering space with them, also things like rocks of different types.

HiFlyer

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:56:12 am »

Dang! I was just about to suggest aliens.........
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 08:06:57 am »

Current rocks have several issues, the repeating shapes are result of how they are created during procedural refinement. An indirect consequence of it is also the excessive rock "popping" with camera movement, or that rock tops are always covered with grass (except for very small ones). All of these things will be addressed by moving the rock generating algorithm into a separate pass, that will give us more maneuvering space with them, also things like rocks of different types.

Thanks for the info ! It's not really a problem, but it's good to see you already know the origin of this strange shape  :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 09:29:46 am »

Cameni is lying.. THIS IS ALL A COVERUP!! (just look at his avatar)
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 09:16:10 am »

Cameni is lying.. THIS IS ALL A COVERUP!! (just look at his avatar)

... doe, if there were real digital AI persons living on OTs Earth ... it probably would be true for them. :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

CaptTrego

• Target 4 Today!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 10:24:48 am »

I'm with HiFlyer!!  ::) :P ::) :P
"Will it ever fly...??"

<CaptTrego!>