Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Welcome to the 'Ideas' forum  (Read 149066 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Welcome to the 'Ideas' forum
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 04:14:03 am »

Not really interested in hyping it too much, we are quite satisfied with the amount of interest we are receiving now and an overwhelming fan traffic would probably seriously eat from our development time as well.

Nevertheless the particle effects are in the works :)

MatthewS

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 02:05:36 am »

That shot above of the road looks incredible!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 11:51:59 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Not really interested in hyping it too much, we are quite satisfied with the amount of interest we are receiving now and an overwhelming fan traffic would probably seriously eat from our development time as well.

You know it's funny you say that, I was going to plaster links to this all over the ArmA and rFactor forums to get it noticed but didn't because I know what can happen when a developer has 100,000 people breathing down his neck.

As for an idea for what to do with this engine in a demo. An Off roading sim comes to mind. Your progress with that Tatra proves the current physics model can support it well enough. Maybe 2 - 3 vehicles.

The real way to demo this would be with a multi-player option. Even just for lan so hamachi can be used to get more than one person onto that landscape. Demo's are fun but telling your friends about it never compares to being there with them.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 11:56:30 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
You know it's funny you say that, I was going to plaster links to this all over the ArmA and rFactor forums to get it noticed but didn't because I know what can happen when a developer has 100,000 people breathing down his neck.

As for an idea for what to do with this engine in a demo. An Off roading sim comes to mind. Your progress with that Tatra proves the current physics model can support it well enough. Maybe 2 - 3 vehicles.

The real way to demo this would be with a multi-player option. Even just for lan so hamachi can be used to get more than one person onto that landscape. Demo's are fun but telling your friends about it never compares to being there with them.
Sounds like a good idea, but some additional publicity may be wise in order to have growth in the future.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 12:44:36 am »

Quote from: RaikoRaufoss
Sounds like a good idea, but some additional publicity may be wise in order to have growth in the future.

Well the only way to have growth with such an early development is the addition of team members or severe budget increases. So you would need to show it to the right people not just anyone.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 03:07:04 am »

Off road racing is on our list of possible things to do, but in itself it doesn't fulfill the need to demonstrate a planetary engine fully. As one of the quests or things to do in the world it may be good. But the multiplayer would be necessary there, yes.

I was thinking if there could be some off road race around the world. The distances are enormous so some stages would have to be with some rocket powered futuristic vehicles or something, other ones across canyons or deserts with off road cars, that kind of thing.
But I do not have thought it thoroughly, not sure if it will be interesting and how the ranking will be implemented and so on.

Kridian

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 10:41:36 am »

...what kind of game would you like to see made with the engine; what features should the game and engine have etc.
Any related ideas are welcome!

There's nothing more exhilarating than jumping out the back of a plane, so maybe start off with a paratrooper doing that, parachuting down to a basecamp (or airfield) with different vehicles to try out.
[img=halojump]http://www.picshelf.com/images/arma/HALO_stratosphere.png[/img]

Or into a battlezone where explosions are impacting nearby to show off your particle system. Just a mock battle scene.

------------------
Dropship idea:

[img=Dropship Cockpit]http://www.picshelf.com/images/arma/Dropship-cockpit.jpg[/img]

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 11:52:35 am »

Nice :)

That idea is actually quite demanding, requiring physics for parachutes, good sounds for immersion etc. And the particle system.
But just today we were discussing how we'll be doing craters after explosions, and we came to a conclusion that it might be quite easy after adding specific support into the terrain generator. So I'm toying with the idea this might be an interesting thing to try, after we implement a proper particle system.

wael

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 02:13:41 pm »

I really like this game from the video already and as soon this comes out i will buy it...
but i have some things to say:
1)can you make a combat mode, i mean that if there are some fighters in this game then they can fire weapons and can shot down planes with smoke and crash and every thing OR ATleast if you can do that you can make it a possibilty that anyone can make it as an addon later not like flight simulator where you cant make this.
2)some missions in the game. and when you finish them you can get some more from any place else.
3)About other planets i think it will be very hard for you because you have to make some missions up there and the kind of missions in this kind of game (simulators) is to fly from one airport to another , so you will have to make airports up there whish wont be so realistec because there are no airports there or you can make mission where you can look around for things in this planet but at this point i think you will be an RPG game like mass effect and things like this with the only diffrance is the shooting.
4)finally can you make the mission starts outside the plane.

thanks for this great great game..........

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 02:59:32 pm »

Quote from: wael
1)can you make a combat mode, i mean that if there are some fighters in this game then they can fire weapons and can shot down planes with smoke and crash and every thing OR ATleast if you can do that you can make it a possibilty that anyone can make it as an addon later not like flight simulator where you cant make this.
2)some missions in the game. and when you finish them you can get some more from any place else.
3)About other planets i think it will be very hard for you because you have to make some missions up there and the kind of missions in this kind of game (simulators) is to fly from one airport to another , so you will have to make airports up there whish wont be so realistec because there are no airports there or you can make mission where you can look around for things in this planet but at this point i think you will be an RPG game like mass effect and things like this with the only diffrance is the shooting.
4)finally can you make the mission starts outside the plane.

thanks for this great great game..........
I was hoping for a combat mode too.  Weapons are a must, and like I've said before, we cold use a vessel that is capable of interstellar travel as well as operating in a terrestrial environment.  I was thinking it could have 3 sections, the front one for piloting and troop transport, the middle one for heavy artillery, and the rear one for propulsion.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 03:22:10 pm »

I think you are starting to confuse the engine for a game more and more :)
I know it's easy to get carried away when looking at the world and imagining the possibilities, but still - an actual game will be a lot of work that we cannot easily manage in this setup with our resources, especially when we'll have to support other teams working on their games using the engine.

We can probably make only a game that is heavily procedural, intended for engine demonstration but otherwise not very deep in story or amount of graphic assets.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 03:31:15 pm »

This is really the hardest thing to think of ever.

You guys can say "Combat mode" till the cows come home but that is going to require someone to model vehicles, code their driving physics, implement a weapon holding system, model the weapons and code there trajectory, range, etc. Then you will need a damage system so that tanks and guns can hurt and damage players and models.

Basically an entire game would need to be built.

I think sticking with what they have shown us already would be a good starting point.

Improve the off-road drive-ability across the terrain mesh. You said it was too low currently. Perhaps if the actual collision mesh tightened around a player or vehicle.

Flight is pretty basic. Just add another plane or helicopter.

You could add the moon... or not.

And why not just let us blow things up. Dynamite for everyone.

I have one request. Most games don't show your own player model. If you look at your feet you see nothing. ArmA does show your model and looking down results in seeing your feet and arms and the camera's viewpoint is the eye. If that could be enabled in this engine. It would be a great improvement.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 03:47:18 pm »

Improve the off-road drive-ability across the terrain mesh. You said it was too low currently. Perhaps if the actual collision mesh tightened around a player or vehicle.
That was before, in the first video with Tatra where tires were occasionally seen "flying" - the resolution was >1m then, now it's ~0.15m

I have one request. Most games don't show your own player model. If you look at your feet you see nothing. ArmA does show your model and looking down results in seeing your feet and arms and the camera's viewpoint is the eye. If that could be enabled in this engine. It would be a great improvement.
Unexpected things happen with that. You know, we actually have a model there when moving with FPS controller (somewhere you can see a shadow of the man), and we also have the logarithmic z-buffer that gives unprecedented depth resolution and allows to position the near camera clipping plane really close.

So what happened when looking down at boots? Since camera isn't stereoscopic, it's positioned between the eyes. So we saw .. a big, really enormous nose taking most of the screen :)

And the sight was so unexpected that it took time to even realize what it was. The first words were like, OMG what is this whale doing here .. :D

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 10:29:43 pm »

That was before, in the first video with Tatra where tires were occasionally seen "flying" - the resolution was >1m then, now it's ~0.15m

Excellent to hear. That should improve realistic drive-ability for off-roaders.

So what happened when looking down at boots? Since camera isn't stereoscopic, it's positioned between the eyes. So we saw .. a big, really enormous nose taking most of the screen :)

And the sight was so unexpected that it took time to even realize what it was. The first words were like, OMG what is this whale doing here .. :D

That is both hilarious and awesome. So was the neck not moving and the eyes only?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 01:54:56 am »

That is both hilarious and awesome. So was the neck not moving and the eyes only?
It was just a movement of eyes. Suppose you were a Cyclops and looked down without moving your head. I bet the one who invented the Cyclopes didn't think of that :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11