Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Amazing !  (Read 17290 times)

puki

Amazing !
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:58:38 am »

First let me say how truly amazing your work is!

as everyone else noted this could have a serious impact on the fligth sim community if a flight sim will use the engine.

not to mention it could be used also for RTS games .. kinda like RUSE and supreme commander but on a larger scale..

or even a cross between RTS and a flight sim , since u can zoom in/out like that with great detail.

meh who would have though math would be useful hehe...

best of luck and keep us posted.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Amazing !
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:49:33 pm »

Thanks!

Quote from: puki
meh who would have though math would be useful hehe...
Hehe, you should hear us grumbling from time to time why we had not paid better attention in math classes :)

helio2

Amazing !
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 02:28:23 pm »

You know, i bet you guys could make some extra cash if you make a sandbox game with this. I dont know if you guys have heard of garry's Mod. Its a very fun game that allows you to spawn boxes, vehicles and other types of objects. And they are used to build stuff that interact with the physics engine. The Only problem with garry's mod is that it is on a tiny SandBox. But yours could be on a large planetary size. IMAGINE the Fun!! If you guys implement a simple UI and some options to modify the planet's color, size, and maybe create a small solar system for player to travel between and play around. You might have a quick way to fund the engine. And by releasing updates every now and then could attract more customers. You guys can implement game modes and stuff to just enough to show off the engine. Maybe add online multiplayer in later versions. Just a thought.
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!

Abc94

Amazing !
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:26:04 pm »

Yeah, a Garry's mod type game would be pretty amazing with all of the space.  Even if the demo only allows you to spawn a truck and a few other physics props it would keep me entertained for a long time.

I also think an RTS or RTS/FPS would be insane!  A game like supreme commander with this engine would be great!  Even if it was just a basic RTS with Outerra I would play it more than any other RTS just because of the scale and detail.   Any game made with Outerra would blow everything out of the water in it's genre!

There is another independant planetary engine out there called the I-Novae Engine that is going to be used in a space MMO called Infinity (is not yet released) which also looks pretty amazing. (http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php)
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Amazing !
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 03:56:37 pm »

This reminded me of one idea we once had. In preparation for a massively multiplayer RTS (or let's call it ATS, like an actual time strategy, not a mad clicking orchestra) that would take place on whole Earth, we thought it could be interesting to pre-release something where players can reserve their piece of land in advance. Say, one could take a place where he actually lives or the one he likes most. There could be also a possibility to start designing cities or bases at the place, by placing some stock buildings and laying out roads. The cities could be named and a clan/state allegiance declared too, so that some statistics and maps can be generated from that. The game that will come later using all this could be about colonization or re-colonization of Earth, i.e. historic or post-modern.

What do you think?

Abc94

Amazing !
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 05:12:45 pm »

I remember reading your comment on Mod DB about using the engine for an mmo.  Are you still planning on making something like that?  I think it sounds like a very interesting idea for a game especially since it would be an MMORTS (or ATS), which I don't think anybody has tried making yet as far as I know.

This is a little off topic, but you should post those two updates (Cessna Test Flight and Tatra T813 Suspension Video) on Mod DB.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Amazing !
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 05:34:17 pm »

Well, the MMO game is our ultimate goal, but it's also a rather complex and difficult thing to make, and we know we must do small steps if we want to get that far :)

There are few other things as well that are risky. As you have said nobody tried making it, but that also means the game mechanics is untried and it's possible that it will have to be a rather different.

As for the ModDB - I've posted both videos to ModDB and both times the generic reply (after almost a day) was that the news has been archived, what means it won't get shown on the front page. The message suggested that the reasons could be "poor formatting, grammar, not relevant, spam, lacking images, videos, download links etc."
I'm not a native English speaker so the first two reasons may apply, although I wonder how the first two articles managed to survive the scrutiny.
I hope it wasn't the third reason :)

Abc94

Amazing !
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 08:07:03 pm »

Ughh...  You're right!  I favorited one of the news posts instead of the Outerra page. (http://www.moddb.com/engines/outerra-engine/news/outerra-engine-progress)

So when ever I checked for any updates, I just saw the "Outerra Engine Progress" news post, and never saw the videos or other updates!  So it was just my fault not looking at the other sections.

Don't worry about the English.  I didn't have any problems reading the news posts.  And I am pretty sure Outerra is relevant.  :)

You were planning on making an FPS type game first right?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Amazing !
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 06:51:31 am »

Yes, it should be an FPS game .. unless the plans change :)

helio2

Amazing !
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 04:49:16 am »

I think that if you put emphasis on the Planet Terraforming/creation as part of the game play it will show off the engine and its capabilities as well as making the hard work that went into creating such rendering engine payoff. Of course this will work with any type of game you decide to build on top of Outerra.
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!

CMBH

Amazing !
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 09:43:30 am »

I think you can create a realistic smulation world.

By exemple player can choose  terrain and recreate the road and forest.

This game  can be use in simlation ( flight sim / sport sim or free world)

sorry,I don't speak english ...

CMBH

Amazing !
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 09:52:58 am »

And a realistic weather !! And totally customizable !!

http://www.simul.co.uk/products-page/cloudwright-products/

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Amazing !
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 02:45:17 am »

We have been thinking about importing OSM data initially for the roads and land type polygons. The categorization in OSM is a bit coarser than we need, but it's a good start. If we could also export the edits back to OSM, that can make it useful for both sides. Or it could be an one-way process, always editing in OSM and then waiting for the next sync in Outerra.

That can be the process for real-world data; for a game where one shapes the known world by his own liking there has to be an in-game editor. But this we have already in the queue.