Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: (Release) Hummer H1  (Read 21350 times)

theshanergy

(Release) Hummer H1
« on: November 04, 2014, 02:16:50 am »

Another new model from my site.

I've never owned a Hummer H1 personally, but I've been for rides in a few. Super fun trucks (though not super usable in the tight trees where I live). This model was sourced from the 3d warehouse, with v8 engine noises from the sound test car.

This truck is great to drive in the steep mountains!

Pics:

Additional info and vehicle OTX file can be found at http://www.outerramods.com/mods/hummer-h1

Enjoy!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: (Release) Hummer H1
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 02:21:47 am »

It is ABOUT F__KING TIME.. Lets do this!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:44:37 pm »

Hi!!!

This is  great!! Thanks a lot!

I have problems with reverse. Won't work with joystick (xbox 360 mapped) and with the keyboard is... erratic.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Planets

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 12:07:09 am »

Nice, this is like the perfect offroader.

ferda

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 01:15:39 am »

Very nice

Thanks  8) Ferda

theshanergy

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 01:24:27 am »

Thanks guys!

I have problems with reverse. Won't work with joystick (xbox 360 mapped) and with the keyboard is... erratic.

I have this same problem. I'm not sure why this is but I'll have to test with some other vehicles and see if there's a fix. It's strange that it works with keyboard controls but not the controller.

soulunite

• Obsessed with Outerra
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 10:45:38 pm »

Another great model - thanks theshanergy!

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 11:09:27 pm »

Hi!!!

Any news about the reverse?
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 12:26:47 am »

Id say, this thing needs detailed suspension parts !  :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

theshanergy

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 12:34:45 am »

Any news about the reverse?

I did some testing with this but wasn't able to figure it out. It seems this behavior is present on all vehicles I have installed, which leads me to believe it's an issue with the engine, unless there is something I'm overlooking. The keybindings are identical (w for forward, or controller axis 1 in my case), yet when you press the controller it keeps moving forward, while the keyboard moves it backwards. Can anyone confirm this or suggest a vehicle that joystick reverse works on?

theshanergy

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 12:38:34 am »

Id say, this thing needs detailed suspension parts !  :D

It's got moving control arms as is, but it's a bit of a hack for now. I'm only working in Sketchup which doesn't support animation, and unfortunately I don't know of any way to compress springs without animation. One of these days I'll teach myself a real tool such as blender, but every time I've tried thus far I've wanted to throw my computer out the window (I nominate blender as the least intuitive program to ever exist)! :)

PytonPago

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 01:52:26 am »

Yes, springs can be a little tricky at moment ... doe, leaf ones and hydraulic suspenders are a possibility trough script ....

I made the leaf-springs as a set of segments, where all are in a "tree-branch" hierarchy (one set as parent of the one before with pivot points/origins at the proper rotation place) and in script i added partially incrementing rotation value based on the wheels height :

(notice, that each smaller part of the leaf springs is a separate mesh, where the blending part whyte the previous one is round and has its pivot point roughly at the edge of the previous and center of the round part of the segment)

Code: [Select]
var LSAngaBRB = ( -0.08 + (angaxbiri * 2.2));

this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb13, LSAngaBRB, {x:1,y:0,z:0});
   this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb12, (0.01 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});
    this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb11, (0.02 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});
     this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb10, (0.03 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});
      this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb09, (0.04 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});
       this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb08, (0.05 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});
        this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb07, (0.06 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});
         this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb06, (0.07 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});
          this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb05, (0.08 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});
           this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb04, (0.09 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});
            this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb03, (0.10 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});
             this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb02, (0.11 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});
              this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb01, (0.12 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});
               this.geom.rotate_joint_orig(this.lsbrb00, (0.13 * LSAngaBRB), {x:1,y:0,z:0});

I thing, doing the same thing with a classic spring would work (without that incrementing part (all rotation values the same)).
Making the spring from small segments placed the same way into a spiral could do, but also, making just a well placed spiral bone armature for it with the script using these bones should be possible too. (doe i haven't really done much yet trough blenders armatures - still some things i need to try when time is free).  There is that one bad thing doe - if you do it the segmented way, smoothing of the spring can prove to be a pain (maybe the thing guys tried for the aircraft wing-flex system could be a solution to that), where at the armature way, it wouldnt be a problem as it would be just a single mesh coped with the armature. (but yes, weighting the meshes to it is a little not much funky process). 

... i probably should make myself some time for making the tutorial material n models on these things finally finished.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:54:34 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

theshanergy

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 04:10:29 pm »

^^ PytonPago, that is a genius idea. I would not have thought of doing that, but now I will be using it for sure! Just rotating chunks of a coil spring around center and moving them together should work well. Awesome!

PytonPago

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 01:51:24 am »

^^ PytonPago, that is a genius idea. I would not have thought of doing that, but now I will be using it for sure! Just rotating chunks of a coil spring around center and moving them together should work well. Awesome!

... youre have a lot of meshes to define and use in script, but i think that those 200 lines in script is the only problem there. :D Also, if you use such names as i did ( like SpringLeftFront - SLF01, SLF02, ... , SLF28 ) than you need just copy/paste the same script over multiple times and just rewrite the numbers, witch spares some time in it ... you also can do the same during modeling - make just one part of the spring meshes, set the origin/pivot point at right place and then just copy the mesh several times n change the numbers placing them one after another and parenting them. -- Mind that the pivot point/origin orientation is set right ( so that you need to rotate the segments only around one axis ! Best to place them in circle from the up-view and set height in place from the left/right views in blender ). Otherwise, you rotate the origin point too and it will be a pain to set them right.

Note, the spring parts (on my model) are parented to the vehicle body, and after importing and writing the script, i was trying to change the wheel-height data with a number multiplier till it fits the movement. You could find the multiplier trough math, but my experience is, that it isnt quite exact and trying out to find it empirically does the work well.  -- you also can parent them to the wheels, but it may be complicated to figure rotations out if the part they sit on are moving themselves.

The last problem is then the spring rotation that will make it face its joint on the wheel (if the wheel moves up and the spring isnt in vertical set-up, than it will just compress, but the wheel joint for it will be at different place).

Most cars have them nicely vertical with the tires so there is no need for aditional rotations of the spring to the left/right and front/back ... but some vehicles have them in angle :

It might seem just a bit, but when the wheel moves up and down, it may become quite de-synchronized. There is a solution to that too ... the same i used on my urals hydraulic suspension - just parent the spring to two empty meshes (just two pivot points without any vertices in the mesh) and set one empty meshes rotation in script to the sides and the other empty to the front/back. It will be a little challenging to set the multipliers for each rotation, but it works nicely when the balance is found. (best to set first that the spring faces its joint on the wheel as it should and then the spring compression intensity as the last thing) .... then, if all four wheels have the same geometry set-up, you just use the same multipliers and scripts (maybe a - will be needed here and there if the stuff has been created trough mirroring in blender for the other side of the vehicle)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:59:20 am by PytonPago »

HiFlyer

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 08:38:10 am »

Is there any explanation for why so many or the cars/trucks in Outerra seem so slow/under-powered?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro
Pages: [1] 2 3