Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Suspension showcase  (Read 9060 times)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Suspension showcase
« on: November 09, 2014, 08:58:49 am »

This is a showcase of leaf-springs, hydraulic suspension and a classical spring for vehicles. I added a Blender model of these components themselves. so you can all look up, how itis done not only in script, but 3D software too. Feel free to ask any questions if ya want to know something ...

Here to get :

docs.google.com/file/d/0B3ZscF0ox2AGVWZPRnpwZENlNEU/edit

We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

theshanergy

Re: Suspension showcase
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 11:53:35 am »

Thank you for this! I had it all wrong in my head. For some reason I was trying to rotate parts of the spring like a corkscrew from center, but couldn't get them to line up. I didn't make the connection to just tilt each individual piece up or down.

I'm back at it! Going to make an atv to test this out :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:39:41 pm »

Hrm.. I can't make it go.. I have my gear shift set but it doens't respond. I guess rolling it down a hill works too! I know the engine is running because the driveshaft is spinning. (which is wrong isn't it?)
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 01:23:06 pm »

Hrm.. I can't make it go.. I have my gear shift set but it doens't respond. I guess rolling it down a hill works too! I know the engine is running because the driveshaft is spinning. (which is wrong isn't it?)

... thats the clutch mod for my upcoming updated Ural - there is a clutch, but it wasent used at all in the original posted vehicle-script thread. I added the AUX1(or 2) button to use it as clutch - so you need to hold it whyle changing the gear up or down ... (sorry, Zeos, forgot to mention the detail at thread post).

The driveshaft should be ok - doe, i must probably set those behind the gearbox on halt if clutch is engaged ... thanks for reminding me, would probably forgot them.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:30:36 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

PytonPago

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 01:28:21 pm »

Thank you for this! I had it all wrong in my head. For some reason I was trying to rotate parts of the spring like a corkscrew from center, but couldn't get them to line up. I didn't make the connection to just tilt each individual piece up or down.

I'm back at it! Going to make an atv to test this out :)

Heh ... will be quite some hours for all wheels to do it, but yes, it will be epic. Dont worry for the amount of things there - leafs have a lot of parts and it is doing fluently and my BTR also has the suspensions segmented a lot - you just have to sit a little whyle at the script fine-tuning the multipliers. But as i sait - if all wheels have the same geometry - you just use the same thing for all, just renaming the meshes to be rotated in script.

... hope ya dont break before the model is done, i want to see it !  ;D

theshanergy

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 12:19:31 pm »

Heh ... will be quite some hours for all wheels to do it, but yes, it will be epic. Dont worry for the amount of things there - leafs have a lot of parts and it is doing fluently and my BTR also has the suspensions segmented a lot - you just have to sit a little whyle at the script fine-tuning the multipliers. But as i sait - if all wheels have the same geometry - you just use the same thing for all, just renaming the meshes to be rotated in script.

Finally got this figured out late last night. That was painstaking! Check it out http://www.outerramods.com/mods/yamaha-raptor

Looking at your model helped a lot. I ended up doing the springs in chunks of 3, as I discovered a Sketchup bug when you nest components more than 30 layers deep. Also, I would not have wanted to do the full 60+ pieces for each spring! :)

PytonPago

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 02:54:48 pm »

Finally got this figured out late last night. That was painstaking! Check it out http://www.outerramods.com/mods/yamaha-raptor

Looking at your model helped a lot. I ended up doing the springs in chunks of 3, as I discovered a Sketchup bug when you nest components more than 30 layers deep. Also, I would not have wanted to do the full 60+ pieces for each spring! :)

... actually, i wanted to test how much it can take too.  ;D  By the way, nice work there mate, thats exactly how suspensions on vehicles should look like for OT standards ! You ewen made the blending between parts much better than I. Doe, the quad is jumpy like a wild horse. :D Also, is the scale right ? My Urals wheel is around 1 m high and the quad seems to reech only to about 0.75 compared to it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:02:54 pm by PytonPago »

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 09:06:34 pm »

Actually, somebody might want to think about putting together an example-scripts library, eventually.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro