Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: (Release) Hummer H1  (Read 21396 times)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: (Release) Hummer H1
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 11:10:32 am »

Not sure ... i would guess the script is a too much simplified thing. But you could change the forces in script.

Doe it might be just bad feeling too. (sometimes, real life speeds are percieved differently on flat screen due to severall reasons)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HiFlyer

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 11:22:37 am »

Not sure ... i would guess the script is a too much simplified thing. But you could change the forces in script.

Doe it might be just bad feeling too. (sometimes, real life speeds are percieved differently on flat screen due to severall reasons)

I suspect not, though. Many 4x4 vehicles can barely get up a hill in Outerra, and definitely not at any sort of speed. On the other hand, there are a few vehicles that are very fast, (the batmobile, for instance) but then they bounce like heck.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

theshanergy

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 11:24:52 am »

Is there any explanation for why so many or the cars/trucks in Outerra seem so slow/under-powered?

Yea most of the models are fairly accurate, I think it's just the scale of the game that makes them seem so slow. With my pulsar release I actually timed 0-60 times and used real life gear box ratios to make sure it was exact. I wasn't so precise with the Hummer but if anything I would guess it's even faster than in real life.

That said, if you want more of an arcade feel to it, I could definitely make you a ridiculously fast vehicle.. :) Any suggestions?

theshanergy

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 11:26:20 am »

I suspect not, though. Many 4x4 vehicles can barely get up a hill in Outerra, and definitely not at any sort of speed. On the other hand, there are a few vehicles that are very fast, (the batmobile, for instance) but then they bounce like heck.

You want something that will make it up any hill and fish tail everywhere because it has too much power?

I give to you, the Rock Bouncer: http://www.outerramods.com/mods/rock-bouncer-crawler

It's a silly vehicle I made just to test some suspension components, but you might have fun with it.

HiFlyer

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 12:16:43 pm »

You want something that will make it up any hill and fish tail everywhere because it has too much power?

I give to you, the Rock Bouncer: http://www.outerramods.com/mods/rock-bouncer-crawler

It's a silly vehicle I made just to test some suspension components, but you might have fun with it.

I've already played with it!  ;D

What I'm saying is that I have a ford truck (amongst other vehicles) and live at the top of a mountain. The roads are very curved, and there are suicidal deer everywhere, but If I wanted to, there is no doubt that the truck (or even one of the cars) could do 100mph or more.

On the other hand, many Outerra vehicles seem to be at nearly walking speed on any sort of serious incline.........

Sometimes they just can't make it at all.

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

krz9000

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 12:37:39 pm »

wow dat sexy bounces!! i gotta try this car tonight!

PytonPago

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 02:49:00 pm »

I think the climbing thing is the force basis of the vehicles problem. I tried a lot making the ural "work" properly at inclines and i still have that bad thing - you get force, but it doesnt have the needed speed-limits at certain gears.

The first gear is kinda too speedy, if the power should be great enough to climb stuff (mean the vehicle script thread one i use for the ural) and the higher gears tend to speed up to infinity if the highest RPMs aren't set to suppress the acceleration (still if the gas pedal would be intensity based and you would hold the max power RPM, you would exceed the vehicles speed limit, cause it wont be retarded as when you let RPM go to max where the power is reduced). Right now, i think the higher gears could be set good at it, but the first two - you can see, the acceleration, even whyte a 20 kmh max speed, is kinda odd i think.

... so its something in the way those forces are handled in time there. ( maybe some kind of acceleration constant added to each gear could fix that ) But it isnt bad for speedy cars, like Lamborghini's.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HiFlyer

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 11:11:51 pm »

I think the climbing thing is the force basis of the vehicles problem. I tried a lot making the ural "work" properly at inclines and i still have that bad thing - you get force, but it doesnt have the needed speed-limits at certain gears.

The first gear is kinda too speedy, if the power should be great enough to climb stuff (mean the vehicle script thread one i use for the ural) and the higher gears tend to speed up to infinity if the highest RPMs aren't set to suppress the acceleration (still if the gas pedal would be intensity based and you would hold the max power RPM, you would exceed the vehicles speed limit, cause it wont be retarded as when you let RPM go to max where the power is reduced). Right now, i think the higher gears could be set good at it, but the first two - you can see, the acceleration, even with a 20 kmh max speed, is kinda odd i think.

... so its something in the way those forces are handled in time there. ( maybe some kind of acceleration constant added to each gear could fix that ) But it isnt bad for speedy cars, like Lamborghini's.

Thasenergys rockbouncer seems to have it about right. But like the batman tumbler it can do some pretty wild bouncing. Not sure whats up with the physics, but there will obviously have to be some changes before racing becomes possible/enjoyable.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 03:28:39 am »

This one would like to have a word with you  ;)

Haydz192

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 04:00:29 am »

-imagesnip-
Better make sure you've got nothing on the roof rack, I swear that'd flip backwards if a fly landed on the roof.
But in all seriousness, the 4Runner is a great off-roader, best physics I've seen in OT so far (IMO).
Owns a Origin Jumpworks 300i in Star Citizen.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 09:56:07 am »

I object in the name of science!

But seriously I doubt the center of gravity is set correctly on that thing. (plus I am sure rubber isn't THAT good)
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

HiFlyer

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 10:05:34 am »

Actually Thasenergys vehicles are what started me thinking about it. They behave pretty well, but as your picture points out, anything can go to far. There has to be a happy medium.

Or even something in Outerra where you just input things like mass, top speed, center of gravity, etc.... And Outerra takes it from there.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:47:36 am by HiFlyer »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 11:36:27 am »

Knightmare, is that you?....

Nah, more like Burstrider.

Man... If only those models were extractable...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:43:33 am by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

theshanergy

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 11:44:05 am »

But seriously I doubt the center of gravity is set correctly on that thing. (plus I am sure rubber isn't THAT good)

Haha, yes some of my vehicles have a tad bit too much traction.. but I like it that way!

Outerra vehicle physics concerning traction are funky. Ideally I would set it up to get some more wheel spin at lower speeds (for example, in my real truck if I floor the gas it will burnout, however if I'm driving on the highway there is no way I would spin out. In Outerra if I lower the traction enough for hill climbs and low speed, then it feels like I'm driving on a skating rink at highway speeds. There really needs to be a speed modifier of some sort on the wheel slip settings.

PytonPago

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 04:35:26 pm »

... they have that pick on all surface textile now ... who knows what rubber is hidden in the crazy Michelin lab.  ;D

Pages: 1 [2] 3