Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why not post at Avsim?  (Read 13102 times)

HiFlyer

Why not post at Avsim?
« on: November 08, 2014, 07:50:49 pm »

Avsim, A very popular simulation oriented forum has been kind enough to open an Outerra forum that to date has probably received over 60,000 views!

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/715-unofficial-outerra-support-forum/

http://forum.avsim.net/videos/category-34-outerra-videos/

Yet except for Cameni, and perhaps Acetone, it seems people are not very interested in posting information there despite all the interesting things users are doing in the world of Outerra.

I'm curious why I hardly ever see creators posting their videos, mods and other things there, when such a huge audience is available.

Perhaps people don't know about the site? Consider this a heads up!
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

AnimatedSyn

• Serial Killer
    • The Outerra Model Library
Re: Why not post at Avsim?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:36:18 pm »

Avsim, A very popular simulation oriented forum has been kind enough to open an Outerra forum that to date has probably received over 60,000 views!

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/715-unofficial-outerra-support-forum/

http://forum.avsim.net/videos/category-34-outerra-videos/

Yet except for Cameni, and perhaps Acetone, it seems people are not very interested in posting information there despite all the interesting things users are doing in the world of Outerra.

I'm curious why I hardly ever see creators posting their videos, mods and other things there, when such a huge audience is available.

Perhaps people don't know about the site? Consider this a heads up!

Personally I can never login or view that site.  Always redirects me to a Garden Wall page.
Check out THE OUTERRA MODEL LIBRARY!
http://www.OuterraModels.com

Like Us On Facebook To See Models The Moment They Are Published!
http://www.facebook.com/outerramodels

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 10:04:55 pm »

Interesting. Even following the links I posted?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

AnimatedSyn

• Serial Killer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 10:06:55 pm »

Yeup.  Takes me to a "too many unregistered people are viewing page"

I click register and it redirects me back to it. 

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 10:50:03 pm »

Yeup.  Takes me to a "too many unregistered people are viewing page"

I click register and it redirects me back to it.

Anybody else seeing this?

AnimatedSyn

• Serial Killer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 11:25:54 pm »

Please feel free to mention OuterraModels.com. hint hint

HiFlyer

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 11:44:28 pm »

:( I already did..... But it looks strange with me being nearly the only one keeping the flame alive there with so many active threads, when so many other people are doing good things but not even stepping up to take credit for their efforts.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 01:28:58 am »

:( I already did..... But it looks strange with me being nearly the only one keeping the flame alive there with so many active threads, when so many other people are doing good things but not even stepping up to take credit for their efforts.

... dont worry guys. One day there will be a grand medal giving...  ;)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 08:39:23 am »

Avsim have a fairly unfriendly politic for newcomers : register or go away. I can't find an other example of a website who limit acess to his content that way (except of course membership based websites). So many people will not sign up because they can't see what is behind the register wall.

I post stuff here because I think my work may interest some simmers, but most of these people are more in a "wait and see" mood. Some of them show more interest but only a few have really contributed to the project (the World2Xplane library creator, for example). That's the reason why I mostly post screenshots in Avsim, to keep people interested in some way, hoping that one day maybe a talented and motivated person will jump into outerra and start making planes for it.

However, people give a good reception, majority of them have understood that Outerra is a slow progress project, but not a vaporware (I have not see such reactions since a long time, thanks to your active lobbying  ;D). My posts on the screenshot forum are welcomed with a really positive feedback, maybe we should gather cool pictures and post them once every month :)

HiFlyer

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 09:16:46 am »

Avsim have a fairly unfriendly politic for newcomers : register or go away. I can't find an other example of a website who limit acess to his content that way (except of course membership based websites). So many people will not sign up because they can't see what is behind the register wall.

I post stuff here because I think my work may interest some simmers, but most of these people are more in a "wait and see" mood. Some of them show more interest but only a few have really contributed to the project (the World2Xplane library creator, for example). That's the reason why I mostly post screenshots in Avsim, to keep people interested in some way, hoping that one day maybe a talented and motivated person will jump into outerra and start making planes for it.

However, people give a good reception, majority of them have understood that Outerra is a slow progress project, but not a vaporware (I have not see such reactions since a long time, thanks to your active lobbying  ;D). My posts on the screenshot forum are welcomed with a really positive feedback, maybe we should gather cool pictures and post them once every month :)

The register thing is because the website has an absolutely huge amount of traffic, while for some reason not seeming to have quite enough infrastructure to support it all. There are a lot of unregistered gawkers guzzling tons of bandwidth and slowing things down for regular users, and so they have some gates up to control the traffic.

Here, you see a listing of maybe 90 to a hundred people on, and that's when its very busy. Over there, 800 or more at any given time is not exceptional stunning, and when something new is released by a vendor it can be way, WAY above that for days.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:36:04 am by HiFlyer »

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 11:14:40 am »

The register thing is because the website has an absolutely huge amount of traffic, while for some reason not seeming to have quite enough infrastructure to support it all. There are a lot of unregistered gawkers guzzling tons of bandwidth and slowing things down for regular users, and so they have some gates up to control the traffic.

Here, you see a listing of maybe 90 to a hundred people on, and that's when its very busy. Over there, 800 or more at any given time is not exceptional stunning, and when something new is released by a vendor it can be way, WAY above that for days.

I can totally understand that, it's a fair reason :)

HiFlyer

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 11:24:29 am »

I can totally understand that, it's a fair reason :)

Of course, that huge audience is a very good reason for Outerra to maintain a strong presence there. You wanna up awareness of Outerra? There are few more powerful ways to do it at this juncture. Outerra has gone from "Whats that?" to "Hey this new addon looks almost as good as Outerra!'

Help keep the momentum going!

theshanergy

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 11:33:04 am »

This explanation doesn't make any sense to me. From a technical perspective, anonymous users are far lighter on a server than authenticated (registered) users. Unless the intention is to literally turn away potential visitors then making users sign up and log in will contribute even more to server load. Personally I think it's just a form of pay wall but they don't want to come out and say it. This is how the big guys (facebook, twitter, etc) monetize their services as well. You pay with your personal info which is sold to advertisers, rather than actually paying for site access.

HiFlyer

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 11:48:07 am »

This explanation doesn't make any sense to me. From a technical perspective, anonymous users are far lighter on a server than authenticated (registered) users. Unless the intention is to literally turn away potential visitors then making users sign up and log in will contribute even more to server load. Personally I think it's just a form of pay wall but they don't want to come out and say it. This is how the big guys (facebook, twitter, etc) monetize their services as well. You pay with your personal info which is sold to advertisers, rather than actually paying for site access.

There might be some of that, but then how else do you run a site that big with no other income? At this point they are even asking for contributions to defray costs. The free file library, (probably the largest flight-sim related one in the world) the backup servers, the bandwidth costs, the repairs after the recent hardware failures......

Are anything but free.

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

The eagerly awaited PMDG 747, released today, is experiencing such heavy
demand that it's server for purchase and download cannot cope and would be
punters, who are trying to get onto the PMDG forum on AVSIM for info or to
complain, have caused that server to go down as well.
No more AVSIM forums for a few days they say.

This is not an isolated incident by any means. And you can bet a large number of information-seekers causing the forum crash were not even site members! They are struggling to find ways to keep from being overloaded, as members were constantly complaining of slowdowns. (and still are)

This, on a site with more than 180,000 members and literally millions of saved posts on their servers.

Despite that, they freely and generously offered to host a posting and a video forum to help promote Outerra. (that has itself generated 10s of thousands of views)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:07:51 pm by HiFlyer »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 12:07:07 pm »

Did someone try before segmenting as a "website on several servers" to split the load on it ? ... also, making a net of secondary sites posting along news from the avisim could go (yes, someone would have to be so nice to do it for other people).

Load is load and i dont know how they manage the site, but can fairly imagine theyre not dealing with such things like Google.  ;D Also ... they have that warning there : If you are already a registered user and keep seeing this notice, you are not accepting cookies from forum.avsim.net, or avsim.com. You need to allow cookies from both avsim.net and avsim.com to bypass this message and automatically log into AVSIM in future sessions.  ... maybe thats what redirects ya back for some browser based reason. (know had some problems once with the keepvid site and allowing java stuff was kinda dodgy as well.)

Acetone and theshanergy, you dont know the biggest basterds ... have no idea how some people make money out of scientific publications just be "publishing them on the net". Is true they re-check stuff and have the hosting servers, but they dont have to do that the politics way of framing people. (its also some great portion of school funds and professor individual payments to keep up unis at "real time science" level, no matter its actually theyr work being done and posted there).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Pages: [1] 2