Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Chapala Lake Mesh  (Read 26227 times)

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
Chapala Lake Mesh
« on: November 27, 2014, 07:00:36 pm »

Hi!

I'd like to share this model:

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3058.0

Instructions

- Unzip the Chapala_Lake.zip file.
- Install the .otx as usual.
- Start OT and load the spawn point Chapala_Lake. (Due this is a huge mesh, if you start in a place far from where the model was placed, the lake won't be there, till you reach the origin point; is LOD related).
- Play whit your atmosphere an fog settings. Solar day have also a great impact in the way the "water" looks.

Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sl2x2acy5krkkp2/CHAPALA_LAKE.zip?dl=0
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:05:19 pm by KW71 »
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Acetone

• Youtube channel
Re: Chapala Lake Mesh
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 02:50:15 am »

You can add cache/campos files in the .otx too, the format only unzip data in the user/outerra folder :)

Edit :

Tested it, and it was even better than what I expected. I'm stuck with a shitty laptop until next week, but even in the gorgeous resolution of 800*600, everything low or off, it looks great. I will even say that it looks better than what most of the simulations engines usually render :)

I have done a little test and put your model next to my Talkeetna scene. The result is good, even with this crappy setting :

However, the model is indeed very large and hard to select, so I have two questions :
  • Is there a point or distance from wich you can select the model to move it or modify it's elevation easely?
  • Is it possible for you to make smaller sizes of water objects, with different shapes?

I'll be honest, it's in my opinion one of the best models ever produced for Outerra, because it opens a wild range of possibilities.
Oh, and I almost forgot :

;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 03:19:59 am by Acetone »

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 08:28:09 am »

"You can add cache/campos files in the .otx too, the format only unzip data in the user/outerra folder"
Great, thanks! Updated.

"Is there a point or distance from wich you can select the model to move it or modify it's elevation easely?"
Place this mesh was  tricky;  I ended adjusting the elevation in Blender.

Burp!!! Sorry... the beer.

"Is it possible for you to make smaller sizes of water objects, with different shapes?"
Any shape, I guess yes; any size... In the end every thing should be possible (the outerra guys made a complete world), but the placement is an issue. the ability for scaling within OT would really help.

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 11:00:55 am »

... the ability for scaling within OT would really help.

... yes, but still, the texture size would shrink too - most of smaller lakes would need still a smaller model.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 02:34:43 pm »

Of course, but scaling models + tiling textures would help. In the end the size is just in our minds. Kms, mts, cms is just a concept when you are modeling. The point here is that is not easy manipulate big meshes in OT.

PytonPago

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 03:20:39 pm »

Of course, but scaling models + tiling textures would help. In the end the size is just in our minds. Kms, mts, cms is just a concept when you are modeling. The point here is that is not easy manipulate big meshes in OT.

... would be interesting if a special visual mode could be added, that would allow to see the main models pivot point then. Doe is true, that once under terrain, it gets really bad.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

M7

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 03:51:45 pm »

Maybe when the static object window is open, then all object set ingame have their pivot visible, maybe white pivot. Then when you select the pivot , It switch to the colored version?

PytonPago

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 02:37:20 am »

Actually, a small icon above it would be nice too (something like units stats on strategies games - maybe even separate icons for all the types - general objects, air, sea, ground vehicles -- and the black box object when its out). Nothing extra big, just to see it better in higher altitudes, when stuff is numerous in the scene.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 05:06:44 am »

I've run some test using the alt+7 tool. The mesh is more big than what I thought, litterally hundred of kilometers long. It's usually hard to move a big object but in this case, it's next to impossible  :(

I placed the lake mesh on the Mt McKinley summit but even with that clear point of reference, I couldn't manage to grab and move it. Smaller mesh, however, should be easier to manipulate. I still managed to fill the river next to Talkeetna, and it looks really good  :D

(Still in crappy setting/resolution, I can't wait to go back on my main computer)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:24:13 am by Acetone »

PytonPago

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 06:25:47 am »

So much island !  ;D

HiFlyer

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 06:47:27 am »

Excellent start!

Now we need a way to make the trees respect waterlines.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 07:21:50 am »

So much island !  ;D

It's close to the real one  ;)

Excellent start!

Now we need a way to make the trees respect waterlines.

Considering the fact that the water mesh overlap the land, I can use a simple large blank road to supress trees in the water.  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:26:29 am by Acetone »

PytonPago

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 02:40:27 pm »

I remember an acient video where a terrain mod. tool and tree caster was ... they will be sure back once the layering work on OT is finished. 

That land must be a swampy piece ... or are those sedimented formations ?

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 03:05:44 pm »

That land must be a swampy piece ... or are those sedimented formations ?

Huge variations in water flow and temperature variations between seasons. So yes, the Talkeetna region seems to be a mix between pine forests and a big swamp :)

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 04:00:56 pm »

Looks good! And delete the trees with roads, good idea!

A hope vector rivers arrive soon. Making one lake is fun, but fill the entire world with this method... ufff!!!

In the meantime, roads tool can be used. I made this road substituting one of the current textures (05.dds and 05n.dds, C:\Program Files (x86)\Outerra\Anteworld\textures\terrain\ground), which is used for gravel roads:

Then I made a "river"... an opaque one... sadly.

Pages: [1] 2 3