Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Chapala Lake Mesh  (Read 26226 times)

M7

Re: Chapala Lake Mesh
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 04:47:29 pm »

wow that stone road looks really good!!!

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 02:04:37 am »

great texture for a tourist road !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 03:21:57 pm »

Wow!  :D

Edit :

After few additionnal tests, I think the water mesh method could be really good as a temporary solution for flight-sim oriented sceneries like mines. As mentionned previously, the Chapala mesh is really good but too big to be exploited simply.
I found a way to move it and manipulate it but the insane size of the model make it not usable in my case. Because rivers trend to slowly go downward, a mesh of this size will either :
  • disapear under the terrain if placed at a lower level in the river
  • flood everything under if placed in a higher location of the river

It's possible to modify the model orientation, but with a mesh of this size, a degree modification in the slope at the point of origin result of a hundred meters elevation at the other side of the model  :(.

I'm convinced it will be possible to get a good result with a limited set of various smaller mesh, even really simple (rectangles, circles - of different size), wich could be placed and oriented easily.

Would you be interested to expand your work in that direction ?  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:53:15 am by Acetone »

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 03:54:58 am »

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 09:32:46 am »

Hi, Acetone!

I can see a lot of roads on stuff in the second screen shot... Looks really nice! have you made all this?

Are you working in some specific project?

Depending on what you are doing, I could find a way to accomplish it. Indeed i have made several approaches before modeling the entire lake.
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 10:39:04 am »

Hi, Acetone!

I can see a lot of roads on stuff in the second screen shot... Looks really nice! have you made all this?

Are you working in some specific project?

Depending on what you are doing, I could find a way to accomplish it. Indeed i have made several approaches before modeling the entire lake.

The screenshot if from my Talkeetna scene (Alaska). You can find the forum topic here : http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2855.0
It's also hosted as an .otx file in OuterraMods.

As you can see, it requires a lot of additionnal models created or imported by the community. And it's a lot of work, the high altitude screenshot only cover half of the area, everything has been hand placed. I'm not afraid to spend some time to get things looking good  ;D

As I have said, a limited set of smaller sized water mesh will cover most . If you find a way to make it, I (and I think a lot of people) would be really happy :)
I've a really limited knowledge in 3D modelling, so I don't know if it's complex or even possible.
It's not a good global solution, indeed, but for smaller scale scenes it will be great until we get a proper in-engine rivers and lakes support  ;D

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 02:32:17 pm »

I really would like to do this, but there is one point to consider. I get to model meshes that can fit in almost any scenery and you get to fill it... We both put a lot o effort on  it, and a week or a couple of months later, voila!!! the support for rivers and lakes is released by OT team... We could see our work flooded with "real water".  See my point?

Would be good to know how far is that possibility. If it is not near, I would love to do it... really!
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 04:38:07 pm »

I really would like to do this, but there is one point to consider. I get to model meshes that can fit in almost any scenery and you get to fill it... We both put a lot o effort on  it, and a week or a couple of months later, voila!!! the support for rivers and lakes is released by OT team... We could see our work flooded with "real water".  See my point?

Would be good to know how far is that possibility. If it is not near, I would love to do it... really!

That's a really good point ! I'm already concerned by this problem : if the Outerra team manage to add OpenStreet Maps road import, all the stuff I have already done will be mostly broken. I will need to make my roads and the imported ones link seemlesly, wich will be a lot of work. That's why it was a relief to learn from Cameni than the next road system will be compatible with my existing work :)

Water mesh will be a temporary solution, that's why I don't think you should spend too much time on it (for example, don't try to do a single mesh to perfectly fill all the Talkeetna river, like you have done with the Chapala lake). For the official lake and rivers vector support, I'm not even sure the dev team can give a precise answer but I bet on at least six month - one year before we see it appear in the engine.

It's up to you to see how much time you want to spend on it  :)
I've personally chosen to see what I do in Outerra as a kind of mandala : of course it can desapear at some point, but at least, some people (including me) will enjoy it  ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:40:46 pm by Acetone »

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 02:51:10 pm »

O.k. Let's do it. I can't put so much time on this, so be patient, please.

Does anybody know the biggest size that can be handled in OT without  problems?

PytonPago

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 05:01:27 am »

Does anybody know the biggest size that can be handled in OT without  problems?

Not sure ... but even if there is a limit, segmenting stuff in different LODs (well in this case, two would be probably enough) in the proper dimensions should work to overcome that.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 07:37:50 am »

Thank you very much, and don't worry, we don't have any deadline  ;D
Also, if you see that it may be too complicated and time consuming, drop it. I don't want you to waste too much of your time on it  :(

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2014, 05:33:41 pm »

Hi, Acetone!

Here it is. Is not perfect, but will do the job.

I guess 1 square km. is handleable.

I knew that the biggest problem would be the seams. Under certain light conditions and depending on your view angle, you would notice the union between two meshes, no matter how well aligned this are.

I can't use opacity maps to degratate the seams, because I couldn't use normal maps. So I came up with this shape:

But is hard to tie two meshes; is confusing.

So I will give you a square dummy; install this .otx first, place your meshes and after that install the final version. It will overwrite the previous; the seams won't disappear, but will be less noticeable.

One mesh is enough to cover Vulcan Point, Taal Volcano - Luzon, Filipinas.

Here is the LINK:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qviadhbcwn16yhw/WATER.zip?dl=0

PytonPago

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 12:20:40 am »

OMG ... looks awesome ! I like to have our river here. ( sadly, would have to crater-gun out the basin )

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 06:52:18 am »

Hi, Acetone!

Here it is. Is not perfect, but will do the job.

I guess 1 square km. is handleable.
I knew that the biggest problem would be the seams. Under certain light conditions and depending on your view angle, you would notice the union between two meshes, no matter how well aligned this are.
I can't use opacity maps to degratate the seams, because I couldn't use normal maps. So I came up with this shape:
But is hard to tie two meshes; is confusing.
So I will give you a square dummy; install this .otx first, place your meshes and after that install the final version. It will overwrite the previous; the seams won't disappear, but will be less noticeable.
One mesh is enough to cover Vulcan Point, Taal Volcano - Luzon, Filipinas.

Hello KW71 !

It's amazing !

You had a really good idea with the dummy version, it makes placement a lot more easier, and your solution to hide the seams is really clever :)

I've run few tests in the Talkeetna scene. So far it's perfect, but there is only one minor problem related to water opacity of the final version.
Two screenshots makes it more obvious :

Dummy mesh :

Final mesh :

As you can see, the the texture opacity in the final version makes the terrain under the water too much visible, more even if the mesh is really close to the terrain (wich happens a lot during my tests.
I tried to edit the f0 and roughness value in the .MTL file but didn't manage to solve the problem  :(

Thanks a lot for this nice solution for the lack of inland water, I'm going to fill the entire region wich has a lot of rivers and small lakes :)
I hope other fellow Outerrans will use it too !

Here is a small preview version of it : http://www.mediafire.com/download/fazyt5kxi8nav28/Alaska_pack-Water_test.otx :)

aWac9

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 09:40:32 am »

I remembered the video from Queenstown Airport where the lake was dry .. I have given a new lease with the mesh of kw71.
better 720pHD

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 03:51:06 pm by aWac9 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3