Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Trails, tracks, traces and footprints  (Read 2773 times)

User

Trails, tracks, traces and footprints
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:25:11 am »

Hello.

Will Outerra engine support realistic trails, tracks, traces, footprints and other types of markings and deformation of objects, on which something heavy have been standing or going?

This type of terrain deformation is very important for realistic simulation of terrains of the following types:
snow, sand, dirt, swamp, soft field with grass.

It would be great if such trails would become a permanent part of the world after they have been created instead of dissappearing after some time as it is done in simple games.

This feature is important for all kinds and genres of games while it raises them to an earlier-unreached levels of accuracy of simulation. Imagine offroad automobile simulator where people fight with nature to make the road in the swamp, or in a military simulator, where the deep tracks in mud can tell where did that heavy tank go and in which swamp it got stuck, or where did that skiman run on his ski on snow in the forest!  =D

And another question that is inseparably connected to such a feature:
will Outerra engine support a parameter for a terrain block that determines its hardness-softness (ability to be deformed) ?

P. S.

I know, this feature can be easily implemented in voxel type of graphics-physics (every voxel can have a softness parameter), however Outerra, as far as i know, uses models with polygons. So... it must be a difficult task for the non-voxel engine. Or is tearrain "voxellized" ?

Example of what i mean:

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:00:10 am by User »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Trails, tracks, traces and footprints
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:38:34 am »

I can tell you track marks/impressions and trails and deformation in dirt, grass and snow are on the schedule. Just not sure when the Dev's will get to it. They are frying much bigger fish right now.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo