Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25

Author Topic: Démo screens  (Read 204536 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Démo screens
« Reply #345 on: January 09, 2012, 02:42:41 pm »

:)
Outerra is primarily the name of our company, and then it's the name of the engine.

However, the games and potential simulators aren't going to be called Outerra, understandably - there (hopefully) will be many games that run on the Outerra engine.

Anteworld is a working title for our first game; slightly outdated synopsis of which Shawn wrote here. A short extract:
Arriving aboard a returning interstellar colonization ship built in the Golden Age of Mankind, and discovering civilization and humanity vanished from our home planet, players must rebuild the civilization - exploring, fighting, and competing for resources while searching for clues to the disappearance of humanity.

So, the ante- here doesn't mean that you'll be chasing each other with clubs and digging pitfalls for the mammoths (hey, but it could be an interesting game too), but it symbolizes that you'll be arriving as a modern colonizer back to the home planet of humanity (the Anteworld), finding it devoid of civilization and pretty much reverted to its original state, with most of the man-made structures decayed beyond recognition.

The goal is to recolonize the planet, using modern machines.

Besides, the game will have several other modes (sandbox, sim-connect ...), and is meant to lay the groundwork for the future Outerra game&sim platform, where other developers will be able to create their own games and simulators in their own instance of Outerra world.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #346 on: January 09, 2012, 03:00:13 pm »

One more thing - as I said, it's a working title, we would actually like to hear what you thought about it the first time, and most importantly whether it changes after the explanation and after some settling down. Good names are hard to find, and it's even harder to find one that has the domain for it available.

Btw, suggestions are welcome :)

mctash

« Reply #347 on: January 09, 2012, 03:14:56 pm »

Anteworld is good, i think the Ante-Anti confusion creates a good talking point, which can be beneficial when trying to promote stuff.

Will you be developing Anteworld first then releasing the "sdk"(or whatever format the dev tools will take)? Or will other devs/teams be able to get started with their vision/use for Outerra engine in parallel with the development of Anteworld? I guess there is loads of licensing type stuff to work out before then.

McTash

petitfilou

« Reply #348 on: January 09, 2012, 03:16:35 pm »

Like Zeos pointed out, I agree it does sound in english like anti or ant something. That Tv series 'Terra Nova' has got a nice name. Shame it's taken.  ;)

Maybe you could explore Greek instead of latin....  like Gaia -> Earth  ... Neos ---> New   ...  etc.

Just a thought.  But in the end, Anteworld would work fine otherwise.  It's more about the game than the name really.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:38:09 pm by petitfilou »

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #349 on: January 09, 2012, 05:59:27 pm »

Cameni and I had a very long email thread about the name of the game, and some of the points brought up in this post have been discussed (including the discussion of Terra Nova, briefly).  Anteworld fits most of the requirements Cameni and Angrypig want for the name, including the definition, etc.

Keep in mind that the game itself is going to start with nothing except what the Outerra Mothership provides (I'm hoping Cameni and Angrypig keep that name for the mothership :p).  It's a virgin Earth, without human interference on the order of 5k years or so.  You might find a little wreckage, some salvage that can be turned into working vehicles, etc, but you're going to have to be building some things from scratch.

So you really are starting from the viewpoint of the definition.

But note: all this is the game.  The tech demo is very different.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #350 on: January 09, 2012, 11:17:46 pm »

I guess as long as Outerra is prominently labeled so people don't get confused. I still like my idea of an Outerra Launcher app that would now have two things to load. The Tech Demo or Anteworld. Future games could be added to the list. But the main backbone of Outerra would still need to be there.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #351 on: January 09, 2012, 11:25:14 pm »

I guess as long as Outerra is prominently labeled so people don't get confused. I still like my idea of an Outerra Launcher app that would now have two things to load. The Tech Demo or Anteworld. Future games could be added to the list. But the main backbone of Outerra would still need to be there.

Cameni said something once about Outerra having "portals" to other games/mods/etc, so the "master gateway" could be called "Outtera Portals."
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #352 on: January 10, 2012, 04:51:43 am »

It's too early to prepare for the launcher now, I guess it will go through several revisions and will depend on how things evolve.

Here's how the current login screen looks like:

petitfilou

« Reply #353 on: January 10, 2012, 06:13:58 am »

Nice login screen Cameni.  8)

TheSquiffy

« Reply #354 on: January 10, 2012, 07:39:10 am »

Nice shoot.

I see registration is required. Do you mean registration to the game, demo, site/forum?

Sq.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #355 on: January 10, 2012, 07:53:36 am »

Registration is not required for the demo. Actually, that button "DEMO MODE" changes to "Login" as soon as you start typing the login name, so to enter the demo mode you just click it directly.
The registration is needed for people who decide to buy the game (in pre-alpha stage now), as it's tied to the account.

[deleted]

« Reply #356 on: January 10, 2012, 09:18:25 am »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:55:42 pm by secret1962 »

yhwhluver

« Reply #357 on: January 10, 2012, 12:14:33 pm »

It all sounds like things are moving along nicely.  I think the name Anteworld is inventive.

SpaceFlight

« Reply #358 on: January 10, 2012, 12:24:27 pm »

So Anteworld will be released together with the tech demo?
That's interesting.   8)
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

[deleted]

« Reply #359 on: January 10, 2012, 12:25:42 pm »

It's too early to prepare for the launcher now, I guess it will go through several revisions and will depend on how things evolve.

Here's how the current login screen looks like:

take my money I want preorder it please.

So Anteworld will be released together with the tech demo?
That's interesting.   8)
I won't press that demo button when I'll start anteworld, because I'd already bought it :>
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:56:00 pm by secret1962 »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25