Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: Démo screens  (Read 204272 times)

CMBH

Démo screens
« on: February 20, 2010, 01:32:11 pm »

Bonjours in all!

I wanted you ask if your engine 3d integrated the totality of the world or only a part?

Could one for example have screens of precise place which would be ask by the persons?  
Beforehand thank you and still good for your work.S

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Démo screens
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:09:46 pm »

The world is complete, you can give us a longitude & latitude and the desired camera orientation (north/east/south/west or an angle) and we can place here the screenshot.

But beware, while the elevation data are complete, the land type map is not there yet. So if you give us a location in a desert, there still will be the conifers and daisies everywhere :D

CMBH

Démo screens
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 05:02:50 am »

Can you give me a screen of Mont Ventoux in France.

44.10.28 North
5.16.44 Est
Altitude 1912 métre

Face north and south

Thank you very much for you job.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Démo screens
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 06:53:01 am »

Here they are, from several directions.

CMBH

Démo screens
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 07:56:01 am »

Wow I  it was (with the snow 1m80) yesterday and is feel real!! very good.

He misses that roads and weather report! And the accés in the download

Héhé very good i'am very impatient

Some screen yesterday of Mont Ventoux:

Beolex

Démo screens
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 02:26:55 am »

Impressive! This is probably one of the little game engines that actually simulate the whole earth! I am truly amazed by how awesome this is. Maybe we can have a building system like Google Earth where people can contribute models to wherever they want. As I mentioned somewhere before, if it gets too big, just make a fictional landmass and we can make our own communities.

Also, is it possible to do this?

44°49'11.37"N, 20°26'25.78"E

Try to take pictures of the nearest mountains/hills, I want to see how good this system is :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Démo screens
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 03:38:21 am »

Ah, Belgrade.
Not many distinctive shapes on the horizon, but here it goes, from the times when the city wasn't there yet :D
I've stitched several screens together, the arrows on Google Maps show the view direction.

Beolex

Démo screens
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 03:20:35 pm »

Wow, what an excellent engine! You can clearly see Belgrade's Avala mountain.

Hopefully this is the future of Flight Simulator, or any real-world simulator. Because if can simulate every detail, then all you need is to add details such as rivers. Than once that is done, make buildings for each city and let the game be modifiable to put your own custom buildings (like Google Earth or FS2004/X). Best of luck!

Sano

Démo screens
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 01:25:09 am »

I have all Flight simulator , and the future games are getting more and more realistic ex: FSX, and the future games are getting more and more secured XD, means difficult to crack it :D, thats better.

Crys

Démo screens
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 05:44:56 pm »

If you have enough time, I'd like to see how the engine renders these two places:

1. Étretat, France

The chalk cliffs are quite interesting. I wonder if it actually shows the natural arch?

49°42'32.91"N,   0°11'54.11"E       Camera facing south

2. Ayers Rock, Australia

25°20'44.60"S,   131° 0'24.32"E    Camera facing east

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Démo screens
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 04:08:38 am »

No there's no way it could render that arch, except if it was modeled there (might be, one day). But also the cliffs aren't there - the resolution of source height data of 76m is not enough, the slope you can see there spans exactly 76m.

The solution is either to use higher-resolution data for these parts (or generally for the mountains where the shapes are characteristic and this problem pops up), or specifically mark the nodes so that the fractal algorithm knows it should use a different path, one that creates steeper cliffs. It will be probably a combined approach, the latter part creating also the characteristic erosion patterns for cliffs.

Also there's another problem with data for coastal regions - the shallow water parts actually contain heights >0 so it makes land when there should be water. The input data will have to be fixed.

Lastly, there's a bug with water plane at the horizon resulting in those black line segments.

Ayers Rock in northern climate:

Generally, terrain features below 76m miss proper erosion patterns, but the fractal algorithm will be handling it later by using pattern masks specific for the terrain types (cliffs, icebergs, canyons and different mountain types)

Crys

Démo screens
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 04:43:10 am »

Thanks for the shots, already suspected there would be some problems with such complicated stuff.
But that's no downside really, I would have been surprised if it could handle such detailed landscapes (already).

Does it place trees randomly or according to satellite image data or is there some other system to it?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Démo screens
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 05:04:11 am »

The trees are placed by a probability rule that takes terrain altitude, slope and curvature into account, computing the probability and then determining the occurrence using fractal random values.
Climate type or rough vegetation maps aren't used yet. In the end there will be separate vegetation groups with their own probability rules, and actual vegetation maps will be used as well.

WarpSpider74

Démo screens
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 10:03:02 am »

LOL that's funny, Uluru (Ayre's Rock) surrounded by grass and all covered in trees.  :p

For the uninitiated...
[img=Uluru]http://www.mulgas.com.au/mulgas/04Photos/images/AyersRock_Uluru_tif.jpg[/img]

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Démo screens
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 10:14:51 am »

Yes, the algorithm doesn't know it's in a desert. Basically it computes that in a colder continental climate there could be trees at that place, and the probability of trees on slopes is higher than on flat terrain too.

Sahara is full of conifers as well :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25