Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Realtime Radiosity Lightning  (Read 10051 times)

halobungie

Realtime Radiosity Lightning
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:23:16 am »

Hello,
is it possible to integrate a

Realtime Radisity Lightning

like in the New "Battlefield 3" game? This Lightning looks realy great. But i think it's not possile.
Greetings,
halobungie

Edding3000

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:13:18 am »

This is a marketing name. It is NOT realtime radiosity.
As far as i know it uses deferred rendering to place a LOT of small point lights. This creates a much nicer look than a constant ambient light.
But it is as far as i know NOT really radiosity!!

halobungie

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:03:18 am »

Hello Edding3000,
you have right.

I have found the following text:
Frostbite 2, DICE’s new engine, offers the dev rendering features such as “dynamic radiosity, dynamic shadows, and deferred lighting” on “a big scale.”

The Light in BF3 look's realy good with this feature! I have never seen such good light in games...
Greetings,
halobungie

Edding3000

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 12:43:37 pm »

Quote from: halobungie
Hello Edding3000,
you have right.

I have found the following text:
Frostbite 2, DICE’s new engine, offers the dev rendering features such as “dynamic radiosity, dynamic shadows, and deferred lighting” on “a big scale.”

The Light in BF3 look's realy good with this feature! I have never seen such good light in games...
Greetings,
halobungie
Imho we are now getting to a point to where it is possible to do lighting less fake than in the past. Lighting can be done without all the simplifications like phong.
I think in approximatly a year of 4 that it is possible to do real time ray/tracing. which will give exact lighting with constant performance only based on screen resolution!! It is possible to run realtime raytracing already. only not with framerates we would like. half a frame per second that is...

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 02:29:43 pm »

Quote from: Edding3000
It is possible to run realtime raytracing already. only not with framerates we would like. half a frame per second that is...
I'm a quality whore 0.5 fps sounds fine. Just use it for screenshots and slow video renders.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo