Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bombing, air combat and aerobatics with the Upgraded Heinkel He 51: released  (Read 9819 times)

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

Try it ! With your scenery and my mods it starts to "look like a game"..sooner or later it "will be" a game  :)

bomber

WWII front line.... Trenches , AAA, barrage balloons.... Now there's a game...
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

still some way to go, but step by step we progress  :)

bomber

What do we think we're short of ?
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

- multiplayer
- AI
- damage modelling
- user interfaces

bomber

Ok, what's your ideas on damage modelling.... What you mean by it, what your wishes for it are etc ?

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

an example is my crashed Heinkel model. After crashing the "intact Heinkel" is substituded with a deformed/repainted version.
Similarly bombed houses/hangars/vehicles should be substituted with damaged/buring/smoking variants
Of course as you know planes when hit should alter their flight dynamics , but also the model should be able to show graphically some damage both in terms of texture and geometry.

bomber

geometry swaps are relatively straight forward for major damage, if not a bit labour intensive for the 3d modeler.... minor damage on the other hand could be achieved via a texture overlay, but I'm not sure Outerra has this functionality of yet...

For plane damage my flight models have damage integrated into them, what needed is the recording of a hit on a particular hit box and the transfer of data ie kinetic energy, explosive energy, piercing energy etc into a probability engine to deliver the damage.

Does your Heinkel have this ?

regards

Simon

fly77

• Outerra Master Modder

I couldn't figure out if outerra has the ability to programmatically switch textures. (texture overlay?)
Figuring out where a hit occurs (on which mesh) I think is possible as you say with hitboxes (collisionboxes = hitboxes ?) but I never did that and so at the moment I din't know how to do it.
Need to learn it. So , no my Heinkel hasn't any of this now.
swapping geometry OK but for that you need to have/make the 3D model of both intact and damaged plane. That's beyond my skills. I just used the Heinkel .pkf file and even don't have the original 3D model. I just copied the Heinkel .pk with repainted textures and applied some programmed joint moves for the damaged version
(needs to be a fbx or blender or otx file as I work in blender)
Pages: 1 [2]