Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Modeling & performance.  (Read 4227 times)

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
Modeling & performance.
« on: January 16, 2015, 08:42:02 pm »

Hi!

I'm trying to follow this instructions

But I'm not sure about this kind of situations:

Left:
32 verts flowing.
54 tris.

Right:
32 verts not all of them flowing, but...
44 tris only

As I understand flowing will stop on hard edges (in blue), so I should go for the second option. Does anybody know about this?

Thanks!
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Modeling & performance.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 03:00:42 am »

The left (guide) pictures showing a little trick to reduce tris. on objects (but only the cylinder base ?), doe the right side shows how he achieved the "A" result in combination of two materials (blue and yellow) and the combined UV layout on the mesh ... last just the needs for shading edges correctly (know, in blender, you to can too select edges to be sharp or smooth). Am i correct ?

As for the screws, it depends on the purpose of them, if they're just some generic screws on something bigger and there is no intention of being the primary thing on it, ya go for the low tris. count and dont do as much detailed textures for the objects edges and such. (simply said, you dont care if the texture isnt much fitted on it as its not an important thing there between the screw-rod and the screw mother)
    If however its something primary on the model, ya do it better the left way, cause you can see the edge-connection well on the UV and can do some texture magic on it. ( if the texture guy needs to do something detailed on the edge, he sees it right away - on the right one, he had to find the place on the screw-rod, where the mother ends, making him angry on you  :D )
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

bomber

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 09:02:45 am »

Always do the right hand one, if you don't you'll end up with 'star' points... And nothing the texture guy can do will make it any better.

As for making the texture artist angry, well there are tricks to guide him and make this guess work go away.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 12:53:35 pm »

Thank you both for your answer. I'm not referring to circumstances where I need to choose a proper detail, or uv layout; as you can see they look exactly the same despite the amount of polys. The questions would be:

¿Is the example on the left more performance friendly because is just one mesh whit all the tris flowing correctly, although have more tris?

Or, vice versa

¿Is the example on the right more performance friendly because have less tris, although there are two meshes and the flow is broken between them?
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 05:05:53 pm »

Think that tris.´s are the only thing bugging onto performance, if texture resolution is the same and there a lot of unneeded there (and i mean really a lot) ... doe, it depends too, how big the model itself is ... number of "fluent components" isnt any problem, numbers of meshes themselves too (well, maybe if you have 1000 of meshes, than at loading the model into the scene, but that should be it).   But still, you should have some of the following up necessities in mind too (thats texturing, functionality and stuff ya can ignore, if bump-mapping can take care of it).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 05:26:00 pm »

Thanks, PytonPago and Bomber! I understand.