Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: HoloLens  (Read 11466 times)

aWac9

HoloLens
« on: January 21, 2015, 05:29:56 pm »

windows10 will bring us finally HoLoLens
technology available

Jagerbomber

Re: HoloLens
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 05:42:20 pm »

Not going to be practical for most people or even most business men for a long time.

It makes what Google Glass was doing bigger (which is kinda flunking at the moment...), but it'll be a very long time before this stuff is widely used all over the place.  And of course one of the biggest things they need to do is shrink to a point where people don't think it looks ridiculous.

I mean it's cool and all, but the practicality isn't there.  Plus, even with a head/motion tracking display like this, I think a mouse would still be more precise in the end than even finger pointing, but I think that would be a fairly simple thing to implement into it.

Anyways, just finished watching the entire event.  Of course most of my interest was the gaming part of it (and I have Windows 10, but am hoping that the new build this or next week fixes the crashing of some games in Steam that the November build has, and which the October build did not have an issue with.)  I'm still not planning on getting and XBOX, though... I still envy the frequent updates that it gets compared to what Sony is doing (and I hope they can have a comeback), but I'm still mainly a Steam user.  If Microsoft comes out with PC game in-home streaming to match Steam, I'm hoping Steam can soon match the ability to save recordings like (the buggy as hell atm) Nvidia Shadowplay, or Xbox's recording saving and Sony's as well (which... they rrreally need to streamline...).  I'll probably still be sticking with Steam here, but the main thing is that hopefully they're making a big push to make sure the Xbox app is not as much of a pain in the ass as GFWL was.  And hopefully they'll even play nicely together as well.

Oh and btw guys, not only is Windows 10 free to Windows 8/8.1 users (like what was expected)... but they even made it free for 7 users.  Damn...
(For the first year that is.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:54:49 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 03:16:39 am »

Thought-controlled ... that will be a changer in handling things.

It will be practical if in right application - machinery engineering and assembly, coupled with external sensor-devices and school learning curve brought to a right level, where things can be better graphicly explained or shown on real-life n time ...

Still, there is the same barier yet - ya remember the military staff sergeant, that needed to be psychologically treated after using the Google glasses too much ? There is a need to fing the blending way right with our biological sensory needs and personal psychological profile. Otherwise, it will be a mind-f*** for a lot of people.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:25:33 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

thx_nb

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 08:07:30 am »

I think Hololens is not so much an alternative for general displays as it is a more advanced AR (Augemented Reality) setup.
As such I don't think it has a lot of applications in 'serious gaming', like FPS (and Outerra-related games/applications).

Also from the presentation I gather it is not really meant for general public use, which means it matters less if it looks unusual (or ridiculous).
In applications like the Mars/Curiosity thing, or reviewing a protoype-part on a reallife object, or checking how this new wallpaper looks in your living room this could be a very interesting technique, I think.

Also, being able to instruct/help people by adding visual cues in 3d could help a lot with remote assistance, although we first need to get to the point where people in need of assistance have these goggles :).

2eyed

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:29:06 am »

As far  as I understand it, this MS gadget is going to  be much more complicated (technically) than a HMD like the Oculus.
They didn't show a product. What was shown is an attempt to create a marketing hype for win10.
They have to show something because there is Facebook/Oculus, Sony, Google among others.

Juggernautz

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:57:43 am »

They've got a long way to go, but they are already allowing press to try the hardware. Seems interesting, though given the choice between these and the OR; I think I'll go with Oculus. (I suspect both of these pieces of kit will cost upwards of 200 bucks).

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/21/7869631/microsofts-hologram-glasses-changes-the-way-you-see-the-world

LeeP

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 03:20:26 am »

Sony can make this happen with there OLED clear screens.

When cars drive themselves and this technology in the windows,
and as you look out in to the city !!!
 Imagine the possibilities !!!!!       

James

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 06:24:57 am »

I want to stand in an empty room with an omni-directional treadmill and this on.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:06:33 pm by James Roll »

Revolver

• Adlerhorst-Hangar Design Group ©
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 08:35:17 am »

nice news, thx for Info, aWac!
...I would want this already today... =D
"Es gibt nur eine Sünde, die gegen die ganze Menschheit mit allen ihren Geschlechtern begangen
werden kann, und dies ist die Verfälschung der Geschichte."(F.Hebbel)

thx_nb

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 06:23:52 pm »

As I mentioned above, I don't think this is an alternative for HMDs like the Oculus, and it isn't very useful with an omnidirectional treadmill. It is meant to place 3d objects in your current environment, as if they were with you in the room. The whole point is to not need a treadmill, but walk around 3d objects "in real life".

It's very fascinating tech, but IMO not for Outerra.

James

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 08:03:20 am »

I think it could easily be implemented to create a sort of virtual reality. In the Minecraft demonstration they blew a wall with TNT and behind it was an entire world. I don't see why you can't apply this to any game and just put it over your entire world. In a way it'd be like virtual reality, but better, because it's not pixels. Or you could even just have an empty room but fill it up with these objects, the omni-directional treadmill just allows you to move unrestrictedly. The field of view appears large enough to at most be able to see your feet.

It won't be great for augmented reality situations where, for example, somebody is telling you how to put a drain trap on. Which I laughed at in the video, it was a puzzle with one missing piece, followed by how to tighten it on, which is as simply as a cap of a bottle. Rant aside, the thing is huge for walking around with. Other than that, though, it'd make a great substitute for monitors. Not permanent of course, because wearing that thing all day would be tiring on your head. I could see how it might work if you are programming and want much more space to work. Fuck "social norms" though if that's the excuse.

2eyed

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 09:22:08 am »

The whole HoloLens thing as it was shown in the, obviously faked presentation on stage is, I would guess, 10 years away. It's nothing to get excited now.
Even the display has to be a complete new tech (something like light field displays) to mix real with virtual view with proper eye accomodation.

James

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 12:02:28 pm »

The whole HoloLens thing as it was shown in the, obviously faked presentation on stage is, I would guess, 10 years away. It's nothing to get excited now.
Even the display has to be a complete new tech (something like light field displays) to mix real with virtual view with proper eye accomodation.

The live demonstration proves their tech. They used a special form of the HoloLens attached to the camera, that was displayed on the large screen for the audience to see. We'll find out at the end of April during Build if it's what they claim it to be. However they're doing it, it doesn't matter. It's Microsoft, a multi-billion dollar company, and it's no surprise they invented something new. Not ONLY that, but also many well known journalism websites have actually tested and confirmed it.

Don't be so pessimistic; it's not even pessimism, it's denial. Somebody shows you something and you deny it because it's a decade before your arbitrary set-date for such technology.

Wired, The Verge, Arstechnica, and many others...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:07:42 pm by James Roll »

2eyed

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 01:27:01 pm »

Well, I know Microsoft and I know what marketing hype is. Time will tell, who's right.  :)

Btw: I of course have read all these "first hand" stories and I' m not convinced for various reasons.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:42:50 pm by 2eyed »

James

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 01:43:59 pm »

Well, I know Microsoft and I know what marketing hype is. Time will tell, who's right.  :)

Perhaps. Maybe Microsoft paid each Journalist millions to lie about actually using this, and they faked a live demonstration and trailer, all to sell out the next live demonstration (Build) within a few hours.