Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Confused need explanation  (Read 7304 times)

mattlcpdfr

Confused need explanation
« on: January 06, 2015, 06:16:53 pm »

I am very confused i am in search of an engine that i can learn and create a game. Is this a game engine or a game. Or can i use this to create terrain and forward to another engine to deal with programming etc.

Thanks

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Confused need explanation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 04:06:36 am »

Its an engine, but it is a ALPHA of it, to help get it along financially and for some already running projects on it (like the TitanIMs work on a mil-sim). There is no API yet, so if ya want really do something more deep in it, ya better write Cameni an PM or better an mail for deeper discussion. Otherwise, its just used now by some folks on the forum on theyr own little model-import,, but on a free-volunteer basis for our own enjoyment.

As for real release, count on few years of needed development still, till Outerra is fully market-rife whyte all the tools for its potential engine costumers.

But as i said, if ya really have a deeper plan ... write Cameni personally for some discussion (he cant say all things in the forum and some licensing stuff is still murky as its just a alpha-state product).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:39:45 am »

Actually there are a lot engines for learning how to make games. You dont need OT for it, and probably its not the best idea to start with OT. Other engines are much more beginner friendly like Ogre3D i.e. Btw the easiest start would be modding. I want to be honest. You will need years of education before you'll have the know-how. So dont get false illusions about outerra. Without any experience you wont be able to handle outerra.

You can experiment with html and its canvas. They have the possibility to make good 2d games for learning. Its very easy and for learning its close enough.

mattlcpdfr

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 11:08:01 am »

Thanks for the info. I currently Bought The Unreal Engine 4 Do you think thats to high to jump for a begginer. My big interest is creating a open world Survival.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 11:43:24 am »

Of course it is. Without any basics you will fail. Even with that goal. There is a very small chance, that you will achieve it. But this needs ~10 years of your life just for getting enough experiences to understand which aspects have to be defined before starting the game creation. So if you start today with learning, you can shape out your game in ten years. Until then there will probably a useable outerra sdk. So its a good deal to prepare your self to that date. The other choice would be to hire a developer team and let them do the work.

You "bought" the UE4. So you can learn with that. Learning from the scratch means to break borders each day or to fail and give up.

mattlcpdfr

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 01:24:18 pm »

Thanks for your response. What engine do u recommend I learn with. I still need to learn everything I am wanting to learn c++ because most engines run on it

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 02:37:20 pm »

At first you have to learn, that programming languages are tools. And tools are made for their usage. Its like choosing the right weapon for your needs. Programming is theory, so it really doesnt matter which language you learn. Some are harder than others, some are abstracter. c++ is one of the most hardcore languages because you have to learn it by pain. I recommend javascript unless it gives you the possibility to make games in html5. Its abstract and user friendly. I've seen many languages in my life and i saw that every language has its benefits. The most comfortable language for me is i.e. C#.
At least you have to do many tutorials. The most important factor is training. Its like learning a foreign language.
Do not start with engines. Thats to hard for the beginning. Learn to read code and understand what it does. Also accept that you wont make any games for the next 10 years.

mattlcpdfr

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 05:44:39 pm »

So you reccomned Java Or should i go with something like C# to try to get me more into being ready to develop. I know it will take me a long time to learn and be ready to create "Video Games".

Juggernautz

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 09:47:18 am »

You could also start with Unity, which is C# based (or it will accept Java too). C# is a lot easier to learn and understand than C++ (as is Java), and C++ can use a lot of syntax elements of C#; so it's a good place to start. Plus, there's a tonne of documentation and support for Unity out there.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 11:56:25 am »

Unity is a good playground for learning. And i didnt recommended java but javascript. These are two different languages which just share one word but nothing else.

mattlcpdfr

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 01:23:24 pm »

I started Fooling around with gamemaker. I have been following some tutorials and it is pretty interesting.

AKNightHawk

• http://www.moddb.com/games/assault-knights-reign-of-steel
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 01:10:50 pm »

I highly recommend Neo Axis.

http://www.neoaxis.com/

It is made on top of the Ogre renderer. It is a very powerful engine and can do just about anything other AAA engines can do. It does have a learning curve though. But once you learn to use it. I guarantee you will love it.

Also it is completely free. Unless you want some deeper source code. But it is not needed. (Mainly is source for the editors and stuff. But you can now modify them with plugins and stuff.) It uses C# C Sharp. As the coding part of the engine.

I have been using it for 8 years now. And I love it. To the point where I know I will never change engines. (Sorry Cemani but Neo Axis is getting a planetary system soon using voxels.) Though I doubt it will be as good as Outerra. But should suffice for my needs. Anyway if your looking for a game engine I recommend no other. Neo Axis is the way to go. It is as powerful as the Cry engine. And much cheaper if you do decide you want to buy it.

But either way. Try it. You will not be disappointed.  Also another thing about the engine I will mention. Most engines lock up things. Like good shadows. Or Huge terrains and other things (Shaders and things.) But not Neo Axis. Everything is usable right out of the box. With the free version. (Even comes with all source to all the entities type files.) Without having to pay for them or anything.

Wow I sound like a spokes person for Neo Axis lol. Any way just try it. I am sure you will like the engine for sure. :)
Assault Knights:Reign of Steel
Donate to the Assault Knights project
I always think everything is better with mechs.