Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: MiG-29 Fulcrum Upgrades & Improvements  (Read 46484 times)

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
MiG-29 Fulcrum Upgrades & Improvements
« on: February 01, 2015, 10:56:54 am »

Current Upgrades include; landings lights, cockpit lights, navigation lights and engine glow, as well as automatic drogue parachute which pulls open the main braking parachute.

The lights are placed according to reference images, but since I cannot determine exactly what Mig-29 variant this is, I included all of the navigation lights for a number of variants to display the potential of the new Outerra lighting system.

Also, I wrote a script, which should change the color of the engine glow from orange to blue as the speed increases, but I am unable to update the color change. I tried including the lights in both the initialize section and the update section, and neither were effective, however the lights worked in both sections. Of course the Light Switches must always remain in the update section, and you can modify them to work with key controls, I don't know how to map the controls to the switches yet. It would be great if we could update the light parameters. If this is possible I can make strobe lights, color changing lights, etc.

Research of the Mig-29's braking parachute system provided accurate date for the FDM. The main parachute is deployed by the small drogue (auxiliary) parachute. It is setup for the chutes to deploy automatically, IF the wheels touch down, AND the throttle is zero AND you are above a specified velocity. This prevents deployment during taxi and takeoff (Levi's idea!). The drogue chute is deployed IF there is more than 0.1 ft of compression on either of the rear landing gear shocks, AND the throttle is zero, AND the velocity is above 100 kts. The main braking chute is deployed IF the drogue chute is deployed, AND the front landing gear is compressed, AND the velocity is above 15 kts, AND the throttle is zero. IF the throttle is NOT zero, OR velocity is less than 15 kts, both parachute-reef_norms are set to zero.

It will be released at some point it the near future once the upgrades are complete, including two additional features!  :)) 8) :D What's next?!

Best regards,
Uriah George

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:48:47 pm by Uriah »

M7

Re: Mig-29 Upgrades: Lights, Switches, Braking Parachute
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:25:38 am »

It looks amazing!!! the cockpit lighting is a great ambient lighting

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 11:27:05 am »

Yeah!
I was a bit sad to see none of the default aircraft had been upgraded with lights, I guess I was not the only one   :)

It will be released at some point it the near future once the upgrades are complete, including two additional features!  :)) 8) :D What's next?!

HUD and MFD? You won't...
No, Uriah, you need to sleep  =D

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 11:48:09 am »

Slovakia has only 3 fight-ready ones (meaning in 24-7 capability to fly) ... the digital-painted is a MiG-29AS. Its a hybrid-sly (cause were now in NATO, some things were changed with that in mind) modernized version from the original, to the Warsaw-pact exported planes (witch were downgraded in some capabilities (nuclear ordnance, avionics)). 

P.S.: Sexy-er than before ... thanks Uriah !
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:52:25 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 03:19:22 pm »

Nice thanks Pyton.

I am going to add an indicator light somewhere in the cockpit that turns on when the parachute is deployed. Right now I can only tell by pulling up debug, but that should work much better.

Taking suggestions for anything people would like to see inclued!

Regards,
Uriah

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 03:54:49 pm »

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 04:01:32 pm by Uriah509 »

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 08:54:56 pm »

Wow!!! Kudos!!!
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

zbtonse

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 03:45:06 pm »

How to get runway lights (visible green on Uriah's screenshots)? Are they included in pack or it is some other pack?

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 10:52:07 pm »

The runway lighting system is my work and not yet released. The runway lights were just a demonstration, or proof of concept, and have to be configured custom for each different runway. The new runway light script I'm developing will include sets of variables at the top of the script so you may easily specify all of the parameters to generate a customized runway lighting system. Then all you need to do is copy the objdef and script files, point the new objdef file to the new script file, to create a new RwyLights-CCAFB_Skid_Strip for example. This is the best alternative to manually specifying the parameters for hundreds of lights for each runway.

The runway light system will include:

Edge lights, centerline lights, approach centerline lights, threshold lights, displaced threshold lights, displaced threshold side bar lights, end threshold lights, touchdown zone lights, visual approach slope indicator lights, and precision approach indicator lights, as well as rotating Aerodrome Beacon lights.

Regards,
Uriah

josem75

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 07:18:19 am »

wow Great Wriah!
I think now we can have a problem. Maybe the Mig will not fly because the pilot will want to take a cup of wine with his girl with that great ambient light inside the cockpit.. ))

PD: By the way. Would you share the actual .Js file with the mig29 lights? Just for be able to wait for your upgrade playing the Mig at night :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:15:22 am by josem75 »

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 04:04:32 pm »

Thanks! I have to say, wine, woman and flying is a great combination!

PD: By the way. Would you share the actual .Js file with the mig29 lights? Just for be able to wait for your upgrade playing the Mig at night :)

Nearly finished. I had to re-factor my code because the updates changed a few parameters and I am adding working on indicator lights.

Regards,
Uriah

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 05:39:30 am »

Day time

Dusk

Night time

G force indicator light (>7 G)

Flap position and landing gear indicator lights on

Drag-chute deployed and speed brake indicator lights on
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:45:16 am by Uriah509 »

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 10:48:00 am »

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:14:36 pm by KW71 »
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

zbtonse

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 03:47:39 pm »

This is great work !

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 01:26:32 am »

Thanks!

Almost done, thanks for the patience.

Finished:
Alternating red strobe lights with flash angle dependent, (so you don't see as much flash from lights pointing in the other direction)
Red nav/strobe lights use both point and spot lights with fast fade time.
Fixed strobe time sync, (blinking, flashing, strobing lights would flash X times and stop for a period of time)
Improved engine glow with spot light and slow color/intensity fade to blue at high velocity
Cockpit sounds off when outside
Added spot lights to cockpit, in addition to ambient point lights.
Fixed a number of errors in the light switches.
Fixed landing lights being visible inside cockpit on panels/gauges, and changed reflector size.

Still need to:
Add all lights to bit masks, with corresponding bit mask switches.
Add strobe effect to engine glow, with small variance and fast fade time so that it flickers slightly.
Fine tune all lights for both day/night (some look good at night and not day and vise-versa)
Fine tune all light positions to remove flicker that happens when point light is too close to mesh surface.
Fine tune all light colors to be more realistic. (Nav lights are not pure red and pure green, but rather red-orange and light blue-green)
Re-factor all my code, remove necessary variables/statements and condense lines.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:28:50 am by Uriah509 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5