Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19

Author Topic: demo ?  (Read 240859 times)

razgriz 53992

demo ?
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2010, 11:42:18 am »

Quote from: ddenn
For me the demo with all features that was already shown in videos is OK. But I'm just a civil flightsim enthusiast, not a possible investor or big developer, though I'd like to make at least some vehicle addons for Outerra, like planes, boats and cars.

I'd like to see in the demo mostly a possibilities of the engine for addon makers, I always thought that procedural technology is not very addon-makers friendly (it may have a lot of restrictions I guess). Hope that's not the case with Outerra :)

Almost exactly the same here. I'd want something like a flightsim, where we can just explore the world. I'm not even too fussed about systems, because I'd happily fly VFR everywhere. One of the main attractions for me is other vehicles- the ability to get out of the plane and drive somewhere.

I want just to have the world exactly as it is now, with no plot or anything, just the ability to explore and create our own roads, cities, airports. Which is basically exactly as it is now- I wouldn't change anything before demo release (except graphics, bugs etc)

Not for the demo, but one other thing I would be interested in is a combat game. Mainly, it would be just like DCS Black Shark, but you could have many different campaigns going in different parts of the world in different types of vehicles (a flying campaign, a heli campaign, driving campaign etc). Oh hang on, wrong forum... :rolleyes:

Aman

demo ?
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2010, 01:24:52 pm »

Well... for me it would be nice to hop into a Jeep or MotoX-Bike, banging around the hills.
I remember a great MotoX-Game, made by MS. Motocross Madness 2.
I dont even dare to ask for a Demo, in which i could fly that Apache, without Time-restrictions ;)
Just flying around Hills and forests, through Canyons...
Hmmmmmmmm Delicious
Right now, DCS A-10C is the top Number in Flight-Simulation. BUT, the engine sucks (just my 2 cents).
A Sim with a depth of A-10C AND your engine would bring me to my knees, crying like a Baby.

One important thing. Dont make a time restricted Demo. Such Demos are really anoying.
Better make a not THAT BIG area. I dont need the whole world to wander around. BUT i need time to check the existing area :)

Stargun

demo ?
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2011, 06:44:39 am »

I really hope that the new video card survey is some kind of preparation for the demo to come out.

If AMD is still #@&&@#g with the OpenGL implementation then it would be really nice to release the nVidia only version. We're dying for it  ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
demo ?
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2011, 01:44:04 pm »

Quote from: Stargun
I really hope that the new video card survey is some kind of preparation for the demo to come out.

If AMD is still #@&&@#g with the OpenGL implementation then it would be really nice to release the nVidia only version. We're dying for it  ;)

Don't make me hate Nvidia peoples any more then I do. Its all or nothing or a killing spree. Your choice.

Also, how do on-board gfx setup's handle ot? (intel etc)
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2011, 03:02:22 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
On-board gfx aren't powerful enough, and you can notice the discrete cards in the poll do not start from the low end models, not for no reason.
Intel gfx is a joke.

flightmaster

demo ?
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2011, 03:39:59 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Quote from: ZeosPantera
On-board gfx aren't powerful enough, and you can notice the discrete cards in the poll do not start from the low end models, not for no reason.
Intel gfx is a joke.
not necessarily, before I got a graphics card, I used gfx to play COD4 in almost full detail, but I had a C2Q q8300+8gb DDR3 RAM...  :/

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2011, 03:51:54 pm »

Yeah, if the game is CPU intensive it's probably different. As with FSX, from what I've read.
But Outerra relies on GPU, on-board graphics is not enough.

rubbish

demo ?
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2011, 08:10:12 pm »

Quote from: flightmaster
not necessarily, before I got a graphics card, I used gfx to play COD4 in almost full detail, but I had a C2Q q8300+8gb DDR3 RAM...  :/

not that surprising as it was probably developed primarily for xbox, which is pretty old hardware now.

knackered

demo ?
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2011, 01:25:13 pm »

well I think you should just release a simple tech demo asap (ability to fly around 50mpp earth dataset with your procedural upsampling - that's all...forget the multi-user stuff, even forget the chromium integration if you want) I don't think anyone here is primarily interested in whatever game idea you've got. We're interested in how seamless your LOD system is, how nice your fractal generation is, how good your atmospheric scattering works with it all....y'know, the graphics. Also stick a couple of drivable vehicles in there.
Whatever you do, don't make the same mistake Infinity's made - release your demo soon or people will just lose interest. I don't even bother visiting the Infinity site any more, or Ysaneya's blog....they could have released a game by now and I wouldn't know, and I don't really care any more. At one time I followed it daily.
Publish or perish.

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2011, 02:08:47 pm »

I'm think all the features needed for the demo are pretty much done now.  From what I read the only thing holding back the release are the AMD driver issues.  It sounds like AMD is putting in a lot of effort to fix the bugs though.

Have to say though that I do have an interest in their game idea, as it will be the first ever "game" built on this engine.  Also think it sounds pretty unique and interesting.

I used to have a pretty big interest in Infinity as well, but kind of lost interest when they only updated like twice a year.  I think Outerra is a lot better anyways, even though it can't render 200 billion systems (Yet?).
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
demo ?
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2011, 02:22:57 pm »

Quote from: knackered
Publish or perish.

Another impatient Nvidia user. My poor boy. There is still no guarantee that the next drivers will fix previous problems. And I can't see releasing anything if he they have plans to put together the "game". Especially if the game will have a price attached.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
demo ?
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2011, 03:33:38 pm »

There's a part of me that agrees with you, knackered, and a part that does not.  The GREED in me wants to experience Outerra right now, no matter what.  But an engine (or game) that has errors due to hardware issues right from the start tends to get negative feedback (why won't it work on X system, why won't it work on Y graphics card?).  Best to wait until the driver issue is fixed, as much as I hate to say it.

Besides, you don't want to see Zeos go on a rampage in NYC, do you? :D  The blood vessel in his left temple would explode with the force of a 100MT Tsar Bomb :)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2011, 03:36:23 pm »

We won't release it before ATI issues are fixed. Nvidia users may not care, but we would receive enormous backlash from people who will not be able to understand why it doesn't work on ATI when all their games do.

ddenn, grabacr 31770, Aman, thanks for the feedback about the demo. What will be ultimately in the demo is still not decided, but I think it's understandable that we will want to leave some features for the game.
For now we are thinking that the demo could contain several islands around the world, also in order to keep the demo size down without having to deal with possible P2P download problems there. Runways and roads will be predefined, active modifications of terrain will be reserved for the game, that should be also more mod-friendly.

But please note, everything is subject to change. Possibilities come and go ...

PS: You could blame Infinity for teasing and hyping the community prematurely, and it's something that maybe we are doing too, to a degree, just by showing off the videos. Projects like these need the feedback from community to continue working on stuff that no ordinary corporation would risk (and permit to breathe). But few people can really imagine how far is it from candies to a final product, especially if there's a hard-headed perfectionist in the middle.
Community can be a two-edged sword, easily taking on the project it guarded. Nasty stuff :P

Jagerbomber

demo ?
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2011, 04:18:59 pm »

ddenn, grabacr 31770, Aman, thanks for the feedback about the demo. What will be ultimately in the demo is still not decided, but I think it's understandable that we will want to leave some features for the game.
For now we are thinking that the demo could contain several islands around the world, also in order to keep the demo size down without having to deal with possible P2P download problems there. Runways and roads will be predefined, active modifications of terrain will be reserved for the game, that should be also more mod-friendly.

Aw.  :(
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ddenn

demo ?
« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2011, 01:19:29 am »

Then maybe you don't need public demo at all, only techdemo for potential investors, which one you already have? I can wait for alpha version of the game.
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19