Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Author Topic: demo ?  (Read 240575 times)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
demo ?
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2011, 06:07:23 pm »

Speaking about the 13GB data, is it possible to use a second computer on a LAN to house the data (basically acting as a server)?

Also wondering if the engine, when it downloads particular data for your area over the torrent, will it "discard" data you are no longer using (so that your computer's hard drive doesn't continue to fill up as more and more areas are explored), or does it still keep it?
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2011, 06:32:36 pm »

Well you can use another machine on LAN with data using a normal sharing.

Engine doesn't discard the data once loaded, but I don't think the dataset is too big for today's hard drives. Additionally, the heuristics of the removal would be a bit complicated. The data are going through two caching mechanisms in engine, and it's hard to determine what can be removed while not affecting performance. Perhaps only the distant locations that were visited some time ago.

C. Shawn Smith

demo ?
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2011, 06:59:13 pm »

Heh, true about the hard drives, but I tend to use a LOT of space :)  I'm going to have to eventually make tough decisions for the game version of Outerra  :D

Actually, but the time a demo or game comes out, I should be up to a few free TB of space, so it's not that big of a concern.  I was curious because I'm contemplating building a third system to act solely as a file server and backup for my main two systems, leaving me more space for video editing and graphic print design (the raw unedited videos I typically render in Lightwave can be as large as 25GB, and "print quality" graphic files can be a few hundred MB, easy.  And I have a LOT of those :))

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2011, 08:03:05 pm »

Quote from: cameni
I said that demo could contain several islands around the world. I meant several real islands of the world, like .. Sicilia, Taiwan, New Zealand and such, residing in their proper locations. No reduced resolution.

But wouldn't those islands be there normally just with the information from the datasets and not have to be added in manually?

So you're not saying that only some islands will exist and all other land is replaced by water?  Why not just use the dataset for the whole Earth?  I don't thinking holding back most of the planet in a planetary engine demo is a very good idea.  Holding back other features for your game like road and runway creation or 3d trees makes sense, but I think limiting the land is really going to take away from the demo, since it's one, if not the biggest feature of Outerra.  I can see though that saving the rest of land for your game would help keep the world "fresh".  (only if exploring the Earth could ever become boring that is)

But don't worry, for qualified forum members it would be .. different

Nah don't only give certain forum members the full dataset.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

C. Shawn Smith

demo ?
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2011, 08:57:19 pm »

The problem with releasing the full dataset is two- or three-fold:

First, the large download size.  No matter how you look at it, it will be an initial problem.

Second, the full dataset containing EVERY land area on the planet Earth would be more less redundant for the purposes of a demo ... There's just too much too look at.  Yet islands would provide hours (if not days and weeks) of exploration, and help alleviate the first problem.  I'd be more or less content with a "lesser world," just to experience what the developers have been experiencing and teasing us with :)

Third, the full dataset IS the biggest feature, and some things should be held back for teaser reasons.  It could help generate more enticement for developers, just experiencing a little of the dataset and leave them wanting more.

As for the "qualified forum members" thing, this thing has been used in the past with almost every game development alpha release.  Some members are selected, usually based first on system requirements, and secondly by those who've been around awhile and actively engaging the development (as well as be willing to truly submit bug reports etc).  This is not much different, if at all.

It'll be disappointing not to visit certain areas, but this is just a demo, a demonstration of what WILL be possible when the engine comes into maturity.

razgriz 53992

demo ?
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2011, 05:21:24 am »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
The problem with releasing the full dataset is two- or three-fold:

First, the large download size.  No matter how you look at it, it will be an initial problem.

Second, the full dataset containing EVERY land area on the planet Earth would be more less redundant for the purposes of a demo ... There's just too much too look at.  Yet islands would provide hours (if not days and weeks) of exploration, and help alleviate the first problem.  I'd be more or less content with a "lesser world," just to experience what the developers have been experiencing and teasing us with :)

Third, the full dataset IS the biggest feature, and some things should be held back for teaser reasons.  It could help generate more enticement for developers, just experiencing a little of the dataset and leave them wanting more.

As for the "qualified forum members" thing, this thing has been used in the past with almost every game development alpha release.  Some members are selected, usually based first on system requirements, and secondly by those who've been around awhile and actively engaging the development (as well as be willing to truly submit bug reports etc).  This is not much different, if at all.

It'll be disappointing not to visit certain areas, but this is just a demo, a demonstration of what WILL be possible when the engine comes into maturity.

I agree with the limited landscape area- but don't limit it too much. I'm not sure how I would proportion it, I think just a few islands would be far to small; though I don't know what would be a reasonable size, that would be for the devs to decide.

I do think you should include the road and runway editor and the ability to customise the world. Along with a flightsim, this was one of the main things that attracted me to this project. Even if it is not as advanced or easy to use as in the full game, I think it definitely needs to be implemented in the demo.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
demo ?
« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2011, 06:33:39 am »

I am pretty sure its all or nothing. Shutting off continents would be ridiculous. The whole point of Outerra is to give you the world. So converting Australia into more ocean won't improve the gameplay or usability of the engine in any way. Besides if all goes as planned then the demo/game would have some cost attached and the accruing revenue would be set forth for improvements (like minecraft only coded better). So starting with the whole world should be a gimme. The extra content we expect out of cameni and lovely pig would come in the form of engine features, improved graphics, better physics implementation and finally refined multi-player support.

Best was I can think to describe it would be as if you go to a restaurant, hand the chef $20.00 and he hands you a lovely golden finely detailed plate with no food. You then just have to wait patiently for it to be filled. (wow I must be tired because that makes sense.)
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2011, 07:07:48 am »

Shutting off continents was meant only for the distributable demo, getting the size down below 300MB or so. Additional data could be available via torrent, although it's questionable the demo needs it, being just a technology demo.

Nobody said anything about limiting the game, that would be ridiculous indeed.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
demo ?
« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2011, 11:53:24 am »

Shutting off continents was meant only for the distributable demo, getting the size down below 300MB or so. Additional data could be available via torrent, although it's questionable the demo needs it, being just a technology demo.

Ah, and here I was believing the demo and game were one in the same. Foolish on my part. So yeah, screw those lame demo people, they can have fun on Fiji and nowhere else!

FIJI... is pretty

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

demo ?
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2011, 12:52:44 pm »

Again.  /sadface

North America is an island!... just a really big one  :lol:

Ok... How about Australia?  :P
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2011, 01:16:14 pm »

As I said, the whole dataset may be available as a torrent, seeded for a limited time. In the demo it will be all grass and pines anyway, but I understand you want to see your home lands.
The whole reduction to islands thing was needed to be able to have a more reasonable size for a public demo, one that can be put on various download sites. But as long as the torrent lives, skilled people should be able to get the whole thing.

But maybe the public demo and alpha of the game will come out at once. Cost of dataset download in the game will be covered in the price, and that download will be much more reliable and fast.

Matt6767

demo ?
« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2011, 02:36:46 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera

Ah, and here I was believing the demo and game were one in the same. Foolish on my part. So yeah, screw those lame demo people, they can have fun on Fiji and nowhere else!

FIJI... is pretty

That is pretty

razgriz 53992

demo ?
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2011, 12:44:04 pm »

I must say, 13gb is a lot of file. But this is Outerra, and thus would be worth it :D

You could have a few torrents with all the different parts of the world, North America, South America, Europe etc but it would still be a large file and if you are going to download that size, you may as well download the whole world, though I think, I you want to keep the size down to a large island, it would have to be New Zealand. Unbelievable country geographically, it would be the perfect place to showcase Outerra- mountains, hills, flat land, coastline, small islands, it would be perfect.

Stargun

demo ?
« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2011, 01:13:45 pm »

It's nice that the forum members arguing on the proper dataset for the demo, as if it would only take 1-2 weeks for the demo to come out...  :/

The fact is as Cameni said, that the terrain will be covered by grass texture and pines, and water, maybe snow. Some roads / buildings are welcome, and the nice road generator.  :D

Isn't it indifferent in this state WHERE on the world can someone wander when it's only a DEMO? If only the Himalayas region would be included that would be also awesome! It would take HOURS to fly / drive through it, trying to build roads etc.
Just include those areas where you were filmed the demo videos with the Cessna / Tatra / Apache. That's more than enough!

Hey guys! I'm sorry but currently it seems that this demo won't come out in the near future. The first post in this thread is nearly one year old... And you're arguing on the dataset.   :|

Of course if you're planning to include new features in the demo as well (grass blades, different vegetation, sandy areas, underwater, different weather conditions, etc.) then never mind what I wrote.

The best question would be the following: If the AMD drivers were working properly, the demo should be released by now, or not?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2011, 03:47:39 pm »

Quote from: Stargun
The best question would be the following: If the AMD drivers were working properly, the demo should be released by now, or not?
Sure. We are periodically (monthly or biweekly) getting to a stable state for a brief moment so we can make a snapshot for demo purposes for our commercial wannabe customers, so one of these could become a public one after the conditions are met.

Although, we'd probably have to fix several issues that we are used to avoid mindlessly, but for others it's disturbing.
Still, it will be aimed at people that can understand what is an alpha techdemo.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19