Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: demo ?  (Read 200729 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2010, 10:06:38 am »

Technically, airstrips are mine :P
Angrypig's Cessna at Lukla and around.

And something more :cool:

helio2

demo ?
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2010, 06:27:17 am »

Will you guys give the option to change the planet's size and height map when u release a demo?
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2010, 08:52:22 am »

No, not for the demo. While changing the heightmaps and compiling a different planet could be possible after the mapper is polished and some parameters are pulled out to be configurable, changing the planet size would require a much larger effort. Many parameters that define the behavior of fractal generator and vegetation distribution and such are currently as constants in the code. Even if they were pulled out to a configuration file, without an extensive documentation or a deep knowledge it would be frustrating to break everything constantly when going blind.

Btw what do you want to create?

helio2

demo ?
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2010, 07:19:14 pm »

oh okay, i dint know how deep the size of the planet was tied in with the parameters.  I just thought it would be something simple as changing a number to modify the size, but i was going by a few other planet engines out there. Of course those engines don't look anywhere near as realistic as yours in terms of the graphics,physics and level of detail.

Basically what i wanted to create was a smaller manageable planet. I don't know if you played Spore, but a planet similar to that but with a better realistic rendering engine with physics, vehicles and stuff.  
Now the planet size in spore are way too small,  so i was thinking like 20 times bigger than that or a little more land area as in the game Oblivion IV  or Fallout 3, Not including the oceans of course and not all in  a single land mass but in other smaller manageable continents.

Mainly because trying to explore or populate a world the size of a realistic planet would be nearly impossible for the type of game i am envisioning.

But i was trying to see if the game i was thinking about would be possible with the planet size i was envisioning on Outerra.
The game play is simple, its a hybrid of an RPG like Fallout 3 or Oblivion IV and an RTS, where you can play in either first person or 3rd person view where u attempt to start up a village which evolves into a town then city to take over your continent and then the world.

I'm still working on the full design document though to cover 100% of the vital parts of the game before i ever attempt to start something like it.
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2010, 01:43:06 pm »

The 10.6 beta drivers are out.

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/ati%20catalyst.htm

Any luck?!?  :D
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2010, 03:08:41 pm »

A nice find :)
All shaders now compile even though one bug wasn't fixed but I have a workaround for it.
However the engine can't get past the initial stages - there is a problem with multisampling initialization, and after disabling it there was another error with OpenGL buffers. Now the ball is in Angrypig's court who will have to investigate it.
Wish him luck :)

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2010, 08:25:26 pm »

YEAH!  One small step for ATI, one huge step for Outerra!

Getting closer!  Good to hear they fixed all of the non-work aroundable bugs.

I hope Angrypig doesn't have too much trouble finding a fix for the OpenGL.  It sounds like it could be the last problem for ATI cards.

But as the newer versions of ATI drivers come out, wouldn't there be a chance that they would cause new problems?
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2010, 01:27:40 am »

A few months ago the shaders compiled and no error was encountered on ATI, nevertheless the output was a mess. Some bugs were behavioral and we don't know if all these were fixed.

And I fear the newer drivers may break it again. For example these drivers brought new nonsensical warnings, what implies that the driver is still changing significantly and their verification process is incomplete.

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2010, 10:52:01 pm »

The official 10.6 drivers were released today.

Let me know what happens!  :)

P.S. - Any hint about the next update?

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2010, 12:03:03 pm »

So how is the ATI driver situation looking like right now?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2010, 12:10:49 pm »

We didn't find the problem yet, OpenGL isn't very helpful in identifying the causes of fails. But we are also busy right now preparing stuff for an internal presentation so it will take some time until we can bring our focus back on it.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2010, 09:13:24 am »

Just identified another showstopper in 10.6 drivers, not sure if it was there before as we didn't get that far the last time. Reported to AMD already, hopefully there will be a workaround because an updated driver could be available no sooner than in 2 months ..

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
demo ?
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2010, 01:36:25 am »

Quote from: cameni
showstopper hopefully workaround 2 months ..

Isn't technology wonderful
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Abc94

demo ?
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2010, 10:49:18 pm »

Did NVidea initially have problems like this too?

I hope AMD is able to fix it quick.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
demo ?
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2010, 12:22:04 am »

There are about 3 bugs on Nvidia but luckily every one we are able to work around.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19