Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: [WIP] Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter  (Read 45034 times)

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
[WIP] Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter
« on: February 28, 2015, 07:42:34 pm »

Conversion for Outerra Anteworld of Pjedvaj's Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II for Flight Gear, with a modified version of the JSBSim Flight Dynamic Model created by Erik Hofman. These works are covered under the GPL/GNU (General Public License) and give praise to their original creators.

http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgaddon/HEAD/tree/trunk/Aircraft/F-35B/

I cannot release the F-35B publicly until I receive permission from Pjedvaj.

The current version demonstrates smooth transition between VTOL mode and forward flight with pitch and roll hold using thrust vectoring and thrust differential control. The flight controls use a fly-by-wire system to simulate the experience of flying the advanced 5th generation Joint Strike Fighter.

Regards,
Uriah

EDIT: P.S. The video features Cape Canaveral Air Force Station scenery thanks to Acetone8)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:50:30 pm by Uriah509 »

HiFlyer

Re: [WIP] Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 07:58:44 pm »

Coolness!!
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:52:30 pm »

This is a weird déjà vu / premonition; just last night I was thinking to ask Levi if he could get a Harrier...

Harrier.

F-35B

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:10:48 pm »

Find me a decent Harrier McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier model with permission to convert it for Outerra and I'll do it! The FDM will be easy to convert for different VTOL/STOVL aircraft. In fact the one I'm currently using for the F-35B is actually a modified version of the F-16 FDM included with the JSBSim library, so I'm working on the new FDM already.

Regards,
Uriah

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:17:06 am »

It can be just my impression, but the take-off looked to me a little too "smooth" ? Cant really say, the most VTOLs i ewer saw were mostly from the yak-38s footage. They wiggle a little at touch-off:

Or seen even on the F-35ves engines "father" (yak-141) :

There is some way to control slightly the difference of the power of the front and back turbofans just some fly-by-wire math extension on the joystick movement (at the 38-ter trough some mech. adaptation). Also, dependent on the angle of the back-engines exhausts, during VTOL to/from H-flight switching. I think they even completely shut-down the front engine during normal flight and had to start it additionally when landing. But as said, i have no detailed idea about the F-35, but is probably a lot similar to that. Interesting was, the 38-yakovlev were even in action few times during soviet-afgan war and it didn't perform quite well in tropical conditions (just couldn't take off with full armament, there was some power loss due to the high temperatures and high humidity). Id like to see, what the F-35 and harrier has a power loss like compared to some exploitation regions like Europe ...

... anyway, looking forward for the great plane !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 03:36:41 am »

Actually the F-35 is extremely smooth, watch a video of the F-35B landing in VTOL mode and you'll see it is actually smoother than my landing in the video. Being a 5th generation fighter, the flight controls are insanely easy in VTOL mode, so much so that it is said helicopter pilots don't like flying it because it is too easy. I have a fly-by-wire system helping to stabilize the aircraft during forward flight, and thrust vectoring/thrust differential stabilizing pitch and roll during VTOL mode. That is why the F-35 is able to operate so smoothly, it is a revolutionary design utilizing a lift fan with a clutch and drive shaft from the main engine. This prevents hot gas from entering the intake which will kill the thrust and make the aircraft unstable near the ground when hot gasses bounce of the ground and into the intake. It was Lockheed's pivitol choice in the JSF program, to go with the lift fan design which had never been attempted in that configuration before. During the JSF competition between Lockheed and Boeing, both aircraft demonstrated amazing agility during VTOL. Flying the aircraft is not unlike flying the F-35 simulator. There are a ton of videos on YouTube.

Funny you mention takeoff weight. There are four tanks in the F-35, and I have to set two of them to 1600 lbs each in order to perform VTOL maneuvers. Once we get extended controls for aircraft I can bind that to be able to dump fuel before landing in VTOL mode. I can dump fuel now by setting a jsb property, but with no keys to do it, you just get a shorter flight with less fuel.

Regards,
Uriah

PytonPago

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 04:15:57 am »

Well, i can tell why they wouldn't fly it ... most heli-pilots have developed a sense of the aircraft's momentum movements and back-effects on the joystick. They need to be fast-acting in various situations in proper way, else, just a split second may be their death (rescue missions in hills whyte nu-predictable air circulations). Having to sit in a smooth plane is just invoking a well known effect, that have cells too - un-commonly calm information/influence from the environment - kicks up a sense of fear (kinda like narcotics users kept off the drug - its a very similar way the brain works in these situations).   I personally had just a single flight, on a calm day, and the Cessna had me a lot on its joystick movements, when i tried it from a previous basic simulator-game joystick experience (would be interesting to have some kind of simulation of the vibrations and external forces influence's on a joystick someday). Big n heavy planes probably doesnt have that problem too much i suspect.

Interesting way to cope whyte the bad effects - didnt know it was on a drive-shaft. I like getting interesting news like this.

Thanks Uriah !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 04:28:20 am »

Now vibrations would be a great feature, I've been thinking about the best js method to call and on which jsb property to call it. It would be great to get the JSBSim FDM to output force feedback signals to joysticks which support FFB. That can be done, I've been looking into it. However, making an aircraft fly in a simulation in all the different domains of its flight envelope, (velocity, AoA, alt, pitch, yaw, roll, etc...).... that is more of an art than a science.

I'll looking into adding vibrations to the actual aircraft, just enough to be noticeable in the cockpit.

Thanks!

Regards,
Uriah

aWac9

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 04:40:58 am »

slowly and with good lyrics

PytonPago

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 05:39:04 am »

.... that is more of an art than a science.

Thats how science supposed to be used.  =D

... aerial refueling - nice thing, crashed a few Li-78s till i got it right back at LoMac. :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:43:41 am by PytonPago »

josem75

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 08:57:57 am »

"Harriettt"!! We meet again!!  Oh, i used to call "her" like that when i was using it on GTA or on FSX years ago.. It was some kind of love relation with a machine.

I also had a déjà vu seeing that because just yesterday i was testing a free harrier model (would be necesary just refine a bit the interior, but i can do it).
The model is from grabcad, and as my knoweledge, the models there are free to use. right? But for commercial purposes or retouch it, i think you need the permission of the author.
I think warehouse can be used or retouched even without that permission.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
PD: Just i dont know if a mod in outerra is considered commercial purposes (but the model go public without earning money from it).
Also for retouch the model maybe this permission is needed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:56:00 am by josem75 »

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 12:32:29 pm »

Well, i can tell why they wouldn't fly it ... most heli-pilots have developed a sense of the aircraft's momentum movements and back-effects on the joystick. They need to be fast-acting in various situations in proper way, else, just a split second may be their death (rescue missions in hills with nu-predictable air circulations). Having to sit in a smooth plane is just invoking a well known effect, that have cells too - un-commonly calm information/influence from the environment - kicks up a sense of fear (kinda like narcotics users kept off the drug - its a very similar way the brain works in these situations).   I personally had just a single flight, on a calm day, and the Cessna had me a lot on its joystick movements, when i tried it from a previous basic simulator-game joystick experience (would be interesting to have some kind of simulation of the vibrations and external forces influence's on a joystick someday). Big n heavy planes probably doesnt have that problem too much i suspect.

Interesting way to cope with the bad effects - didnt know it was on a drive-shaft. I like getting interesting news like this.

Thanks Uriah !

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

konaone

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 11:12:35 am »

:)
the video is relative to the F35 Rino Cattaneo, model free downloadable (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=34425556), very well done and detailed, you may request permission to conversion for outerra .....
present all three models A-B-C
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:23:11 pm by konaone »

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 12:44:07 pm »

Konaone, I've already asked Dino Cattaneo for permission to port his beautiful aircraft, but most of his models contains copyrighted content which he has proper license, but cannot be used in third parties unfortunately.

konaone

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 12:57:31 pm »

Noooo ... that misfortune is a beautiful model :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6