Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: [WIP] Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter  (Read 45035 times)

Uriah

• Global Moderator
  • We do these things not because they are easy. -JFK
Re: [WIP] Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 08:44:08 pm »

If there is serious interest in raising money to purchase a model I would also be able to contribute. However, I would be looking at a far more detailed one for somewhere in-between $500-900, and in a month or two I would be able to pitch in $300-400 of that. I say this because I have seen the ones in the $99 to $200 range, and they are relatively low poly, low detail.

We are looking for VTOL/STOVL variants (USMC/USNavy), not the CTOL variant (USAF).

Here are is a range of options with Royalty Free Licenses for All Extended Uses. The first one is the cheaper but lower fidelity model, the second is an extremely high fidelity model for $800 more. I would go with option two, and would buy it right now if I had the money.

($ = usd)

$99 http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-f-35b-jdam/877169

$899 http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-f-35-bf-1-lightning-ii-model/423769

HiFlyer

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 12:46:56 am »

I dunno.........

I spent some quality time looking at the two models posted, and while the $899 version is nice and all, I wonder if its a bit of overkill for an in-game model for Outerra.

The $899 seems more like movie quality.

So provisionally my impression is: I could see the Titan people needing something that hi-poly, but does Outerra need it? I would be interested in hearing what the devs think about the potential framerate tradeoffs of these models.

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 01:58:59 am »

Actually Titan should normally use simpler models, since they usually have simulations with many vehicles involved and they must care about their poly and texture budged much more. They also often use simplified AI control of the planes following waypoints and do not deal with precise simulation of the vehicles.

Noticed this: *Conversion of this model for commercial FSX add-on is unauthorized and is in violation of End User License Agreement and U.S. copyright laws.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:19:59 am by cameni »

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2015, 04:08:47 am »

Ouch, they hid that one all the way at the bottom!  =| Good eye cameni!

You may be right, something that well done may be overkill, but as long as your textures are optimized for minimum draw calls, and the poly count isn't too insanely high, the frame rate impact shouldn't be terrible. Many games have two levels of detail, one extremely high for the player piloted aircraft, which there is only one of, and a low poly version for AI controlled aircraft, which there can be many of. As long as you don't spawn 50 of the high poly aircraft, even Acetone's scenes sacrifice performance for detail.

I might just purchase the first option. It is well made, although slightly below the detail level I would like. I'll contact TurboSquid to confirm the status of the license for non-commercial end uses.

Regards,
Uriah

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2015, 04:29:42 am »

The $99 aircraft has a very nice and detailed exterior model, but I wonder how the cockpit looks like. Is it detailed enough? Judging by this: "highlights: accurate fuselage, realistic full interior,..." in theory it should be, but why there are no close up renders of it?

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 04:55:00 am »

As long as you don't spawn 50 of the high poly aircraft, even Acetone's scenes sacrifice performance for detail.

I had to do several adjustment to maintain decent perfs, mostly stop using high poly buildings :) That's why I'm mostly switching to World2Xplane for LFNA, I want to keep Outerra nice framerate as good as possible :)
The high poly model seems to be insanely detailed, but the other model seems to be better fitted for real time rendering.

The $99 aircraft has a very nice and detailed exterior model, but I wonder how the cockpit looks like. Is it detailed enough? Judging by this: "highlights: accurate fuselage, realistic full interior,..." in theory it should be, but why there are no close up renders of it?

I guess it will be easy to ask few additionnal screenshots to the model maker.

Also, be warned, the Turbosquid Royalty-Free Licence is not really open files friendly:

b. Access to Stock Media Products. You must take all reasonable and industry standard measures to prevent other parties from gaining access to Stock Media Products. Stock Media Products must be contained in proprietary formats so that they cannot be opened or imported in a publicly available software application or framework, or extracted without reverse engineering. You may NOT publish or distribute Stock Media Products in any open format, or format encrypted with decryptable open standards (such as WebGL or an encrypted compression archive).

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 05:02:38 am »

Levi, my thoughts exactly. The lack of close up images may reflect a lack of detail in the cockpit. One detail I noticed, the internal weapons bay has lot of details and an excellent texture, I just hope the cockpit is the same. Logically if the weapons bay is detailed, the cockpit should be as well, or better.

I opened a support ticket for the model, we'll see what they say. Since the 3d mesh cannot be extracted from .pkg file without a sophisticated attack that reconstructs it from the GPU, that is considered a "reasonable and industry standard measures to prevent other parties from gaining access to Stock Media Products". However there are other concerns, so we'll see what TurboSquid says.

Regards,
Uriah

HiFlyer

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2015, 08:51:58 am »

Reading the Turbosquid FAQ's makes it seem like these models are surrounded by lots of Caveats and legal dodging and weaving. Appears to be a definite case of buyer beware.

May I include the actual Stock Media Product of a 3D Model in software or a game?
Stock Media Products of 3D Models published under the Royalty Free License may be used in software and games if the software or game satisfies these additional conditions:

1. The 3D model is reasonably required to produce an interactive experience for the user.

2. The 3D model is contained in proprietary format that cannot be opened in a publicly available software application and from which the TurboSquid Stock Media Product cannot be extracted or decompiled without reverse engineering.

3. The software or game has no functionality for end users to import any open 3D file format or export any 3D model.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 09:03:14 am »

3. The software or game has no functionality for end users to import any open 3D file format or export any 3D model.

That is very perplexing. Outerra does allow 3d files to be imported, but only the .pkg format to be exported.

The only safe way to do it is for the individual artist to grant written permission to use their content and to give them credit for it.

Regards,
Uriah

HiFlyer

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2015, 09:30:40 am »

You might take a glimpse at this. They seem a bit less persnickety. http://www.creativecrash.com/3d-model/lockheed-martin-f-35-lightning-ii-3d-model

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:35:03 am by HiFlyer »

konaone

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2015, 12:45:09 pm »

the video shows the model f35, extracted from version for FSX, just to figure out how to result in outerra (not intend to use it without permission and are not able to animate).
of course you have to see if the model for sale (99 euro) is identical to this. models for FSX are divided into internal and external, the video of the exterior. the internal model has detailed the cockpit. if I can post the video 3ds max interior

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:23:13 pm by konaone »

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 01:10:37 am »

HiFlyer, great model but it is the CTOL variant, not the STOVL/VTOL variant.

kanaone, It looks like the same one. I'm waiting on a reply to my TurboSquid support ticket.

Regards,
Uriah

Uriah

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2015, 01:18:07 am »

I just noticed the paint job is different from the FSX F-35B and the one on TurboSquid. This could be re-done, but the TurboSuid model does not say it comes with the Photoshop file making it possible to make other skins, so it is unlikely they are the same model. If anything the TurboSquid model looks to be higher poly count than the one on FSX.

Regards,
Uriah

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2015, 10:42:13 am »

Just one point. If I would have to choose a model, I would look at the screenshots searching for detail, but specially at the wire frame, for optimization.

A high poly count can mean greater detail, but also modeling vicious, like to much subdivisions without cleaning the mesh.

Could be the case (not sure) in the $899 model. Definitely looks better, but that amount of loops along the longitude of the wings, for example, seems unnecessary to me.

"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

konaone

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 11:15:31 am »

So ??? and how? and how they want it? and how to pay? Who collects? ... many questions.
  I think we must, once identified the model.
donate a low part, $ 1.
Reached the amount stop collecting.
Distribution always free.
... maybe administrators can suggest a method .....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6